PDA

View Full Version : Silk bag liner vs. polypro bag liners?

Smile
11-07-2005, 14:06
Anyone have experience with bag liners? Some are silk, but my local outfitter carries polypro ones, say they add 10-15 degrees to a bag - thought only silk added this much. Also, thinking Polypro could get stinky after a week or so.

Footslogger
11-07-2005, 14:58
I think you're correct about the odor polypro would develop. I bought a silk one prior to my thru in 2003 and used it all the way to Pearisburg. Can't say off hand that it had much effect on warmth but it did keep my bag cleaner than otherwise. My only complaint (and this might not be true for the polypro style) was that it generally got twisted inside my bag at night. That along with the warmer weather convinced me to send it home.

'Slogger

Smile
11-07-2005, 15:23
Thanks slogger, would you say that it held enough heat to consider use as a summer bag while clothed?

Footslogger
11-07-2005, 15:37
Thanks slogger, would you say that it held enough heat to consider use as a summer bag while clothed?
======================================
Possibly, if you're a really warm sleeper. What I found though is that even during the summer, the nights at higher elevations were on the cool side. When I switched over to my lighter weight clothing and gear in Pearisburg I opted for a 45 - 50 degree bag called the "Travel Sack" from REI. I was darned glad I had it because we got a few cold snaps in Virginia. There were a handful of nights when the temps were high and there was no breeze. I used the travel sack as added padding on top of my matress.

The silk liner would not have been enough for me in the majority of cases, expecially since I didn't switch back to my warmer bag until Glencliff, NH.

'Slogger

MacGyver2005
11-07-2005, 18:37
I carried a Cocoon silk liner on my thru-hike. For weekends, or even week trips I would rather carry a silk liner. It is rated to add 8-10 degrees, and I would say that is close. Synthetics are more like 6-8 degrees, and I have never heard of a liner that adds more than 10 degrees. The problem with a silk liner over an extended period of time is keeping it clean. A synthetic liner can be tossed in the washer with all of the other laundry; a silk liner has to be hand washed with Woolite or some other light detergent. That's fine when you can go home after a weekend and hand it to the wife (runs and hides from the wives out there) but it is a pain to have to find the time and the detergent to do it on a town stop. As for twisting, I did not have any major problems with that, but it is certainly a personal thing. Regards, -MacGyver GA-->ME

Uncle Silly
11-07-2005, 19:07
Nah, you can wash silk in the washing machine just fine. Use the gentle cycle, and you can further protect your silk with a lingerie bag or small mesh stuff sack. It might be best to use Woolite or Dr Bronner's, but for a few on-the-trail washings it'll work.

I carried a silk liner and a down quilt for summer sleeping gear. Most nights I didn't need the quilt and just slept in the liner. The liner-quilt combo worked well for me.

SalParadise
11-07-2005, 20:00
I also used a Cocoon polypro liner on my thru-hike. comparing it to the silk I figured the only difference was weight, compactability and price.
but it was awesome to have with my regular bag when the weather was cold in the beginning.
In Harpers Ferry I sent my sleeping bag home and did the same thing, used clothes and the liner to sleep in. I'm a cold sleeper and was a little chilly on more than a few nights, even during the height of summer. Maybe if I had a winter hat along, but I wouldn't say it was enough. Another layer would have helped.

Then there was the four days when the cold front came in, before I got my sleeping bag mailed back, when it got down to 42 degrees each night....

neo
11-07-2005, 23:07
liners suck,i prefer wearing my warm cloths to bed:cool: neo

fiddlehead
11-08-2005, 08:27
I use a micro-fleece liner when it's cold and still want to carry my 20 degree bag. (now has 8,000 miles on it so it's probably realistically a 30 degree bag) The micro-fleece is about 100 wt. and weighs exactly a lb. I believe it adds 10-15 degrees of warmth. It makes a nice pillow on those nights when i don't use it. It's saved my butt many times.

clayrfarris
01-25-2006, 12:36
:-? Do these liners commonly have zippers or do you just have to the wiggle shuffle scoot?

MacGyver2005
01-25-2006, 12:40
:-? Do these liners commonly have zippers or do you just have to the wiggle shuffle scoot?

No zippers, as they would way more than the liner.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

clayrfarris
01-25-2006, 15:28
No zippers, as they would way more than the liner.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Good point. Maybe I can make one and just use a few velcro points:-?

SideWedge
01-25-2006, 16:14
there's nothing like the feeling of sliding into a silk liner after a long day...

I have a cocoon liner thats almost half silk and half cotton, which makes it more durable (I just chuck it in the washer in a mesh sack) but it provides the comfort and warmth of silk.