PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking with Wife: Pack Question

jbo
04-07-2015, 09:56
My wonderful wife and I are going to start section hiking the AT this year, probably early fall will be the first trip, looking at each carrying a pack but I am thinking about a larger pack than her. Does it make sense to carry a 65l pack and have her carry a 58l pack and try to split the weight with me carrying 5 lbs more?

We are rookies for the AT, but not to camping and being out in the woods on our own. Never have done any overnight walk in though, will be spending this summer testing here in the Huron National Forest in michigan though.

Thanks

BirdBrain
04-07-2015, 10:47
Only you and your wife can answer that question. Gender is not a perfect indicator of ability to carry. If you have a greater ability and you both agree to a proportioning, by all means, divvy as you 2 feel is best. Do the shakedowns you suggest and you will find the balance that works for you 2. You can buy the packs that you think will work based on your current knowledge. If you are wrong, you can shift weights without changing packs. That is my abstract advice. I am certain others will give more specific advice about the initial pack purchases.

illabelle
04-07-2015, 10:56
jbo,
Welcome to Whiteblaze! You've come to the right place. :)

My "wonderful" husband and I have sectioned almost half the trail over a five year period. If all goes well, we should complete it in 2020. If you're looking for a good place to start, I'd suggest Shenandoah National Park in Virginia. That's where we began, and it is a gentle and beautiful introduction to the rigors of backpacking the AT.

Each couple will work out different setups according to their abilities and tolerances. My husband is 6'-4", on a large frame. I am 5'-6", on a medium frame. We each carry our own sleeping bag, pad, and clothes. Other than that, in general terms, he carries the equipment while I carry the food. He usually carries any extra water. Sometimes (not often) my pack will be heavier than his at the beginning of a section. After a meal or two, that changes, and I always go home much lighter than he does. The only weight he loses is a little bit of fuel.

He uses an extra large pack because he feels it fits his frame best, the ULA Catalyst. Of course, that means it also has extra large capacity - about 75L. The only time he truly fills it up is when he takes his "Goliath" sleeping bag. Until recently I carried a Deuter 60L + 10 with a pack weight of almost 6 lbs. It hasn't been trail-tested yet, but I've bought a 3.5 lb Osprey Kestrel with a capacity of 48L and will use the Deuter when we need extra clothes for cold weather, or when resupply is difficult.

For our upcoming hikes, which include some difficult terrain, we will both be reducing the weight we carry. He'll reduce by sacrificing some comforts. I'll reduce by carrying different food, and less of it, or by shifting some of it to him. As a percentage of body weight, he carries about 5% less than I do. Ideally, I'd like to carry between 5-10 lbs less than he does, which would equalize it out a little better.

HooKooDooKu
04-07-2015, 11:58
He uses an extra large pack because he feels it fits his frame best
I think that's something of your starting point... you each have to find backpacks that fit each of YOU.

After that, I think it's going to be a mater of learning how to fit what you carry in the pack you've selected. Beyond that, I don't have much advice or experience with selecting a backpack (I've either been given one or purchased one based on price that basically fit me).

The one thing I will suggest, if you don't already know exactly what you need... is to look for a pack with some lashing straps. That gives you some options when everything just won't fit in the pack. I specifically look for lashing straps that will allow me to carry something like a tent on the underside of the backpack.

The only specific packs I would suggest that you at least take a look at are the REI Flash packs. They seem to be one of the lightest back packs for the size loads they can carry, and most have a lashing strap on the bottom along with various loop attachment points. I use the REI Flash 62 (men's) size large, my son uses the REI Flash 52 (women's) size medium. (The women's Flash 52 is currently on sale as it looks like the woman's Flash 58 is replacing it in REI's lineup).

bigcranky
04-07-2015, 12:12
My lovely wife and I use the same pack - the ULA Circuit - but they are different sizes because I wear a large and she a small. We do split up gear in a way that makes sense for us, and I do have a couple of pounds more than she does.

Shutterbug
04-07-2015, 18:27
My wonderful wife and I are going to start section hiking the AT this year, probably early fall will be the first trip, looking at each carrying a pack but I am thinking about a larger pack than her. Does it make sense to carry a 65l pack and have her carry a 58l pack and try to split the weight with me carrying 5 lbs more?

We are rookies for the AT, but not to camping and being out in the woods on our own. Never have done any overnight walk in though, will be spending this summer testing here in the Huron National Forest in michigan though.

Thanks

My wife and I hike together a lot. We carry weight in our packs in the same proportion as our body weight. That means that I carry almost twice as much as she does.

smoothsailin
04-07-2015, 19:11
ULA, best pack, carries great, great customer service.

jbo
04-07-2015, 20:28
Thank you for all the information you have provided it give us lots to think about.

jbo
04-12-2015, 15:02
Anyone have any advice on the atmos 65 vs the flash 62 packs? My wife is pretty set on the woman's flash 58 that she tried on in the store.

jbo
04-12-2015, 15:03
I found the flash light and the atmos seemed the most comfortable. Could have just been the way they fit.

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 15:50
Fit is different for individuals and definitely different across the sexes. Go with the most comfortable pack you can afford that allows you to carry what you want.

bigcranky
04-12-2015, 17:19
The only knock on the Atmos is the shape of the frame which reduces the interior space, otherwise it's a nice pack.

jbo
04-13-2015, 09:03
Anyone able to compare the ULA circuit to either the Osprey or the REI Flash 62. I really don't like the weight of the Osprey empty but I have never carried any of these new packs loaded so I would like to be able to make a decision based on as much information I can get.

Hot Flash
04-13-2015, 10:00

Thanks

Would you ask this same question if your hiking partner was a man? No? Then it doesn't need to be asked. We women can carry the same gear you guys can. Sometimes we even carry your gear as well as ours.

bigcranky
04-13-2015, 11:55
Anyone able to compare the ULA circuit to either the Osprey or the REI Flash 62. I really don't like the weight of the Osprey empty but I have never carried any of these new packs loaded so I would like to be able to make a decision based on as much information I can get.

I can compare the Circuit to the Osprey Ariel 55, which my wife used for years. She likes the Circuit a lot better. I had an Aether 60 years ago -- I like my Circuit way better, and am ready to downsize to an Ohm 2.0 for summer use.

I find the Circuit feels great up to 30 pounds, then it's not great. So much depends on your other gear -- these packs really need a 15-18 pound base weight max (everything except food and water), and 12-15 pounds is better.

ULA will take the pack back if you don't like it. Also they sell relatively quickly online, like here on WB.

RockDoc
04-13-2015, 15:29
My wife and I have done something similar on more than 7 trips to section hike the AT (finally finished in 2014!). I generally carry about 10 lbs more weight, including the whole tent system and cooking gear. She carries the tyvek ground cloth and her stuff. My pack weighs about 25-30 lbs and hers weighs about 15-20 lbs. I weigh 200 and she weighs 110 lbs so she is actually carrying a higher percentage of her body weight, but it seems to work OK. We are careful when we pack to have very light items and food.

jbo
04-14-2015, 16:34
Well, ended up ordering the ULA catalyst and the rei flash 58 for my wife as that is what she wants to try.

We have 4 kids, If I ever need the capacity the catalyst will have it and after speaking with Chris at ULA I think it will be find even if not loaded heavy.

Thanks for all the help