PDA

View Full Version : What degree sleeping bag do I need?

gtmichaelb
04-07-2015, 10:49
Hey All,

I am planning on starting a CT thru hike on June 27th, going from Denver to Durango.
I currently have a 25 degree down sleeping bag, but has some decent use and might not live up to its ratings completely.
I don't mind being cold a couple nights but I don't want to be cold on most nights.

Do you think my bag is warm enough?

StubbleJumper
04-07-2015, 16:52
I have found that the Snowtel website can be quite helpful when planning a hike. Take a look at some of the Snowtel monitoring stations along the CT and you can obtain the night-time low temperatures during late June and early July for the past 4 or 5 years. This will give you a general idea of what to expect. Check out this site, zooming into the areas along the CT: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/index.html

In general, you don't hit much in the way of cold temps until you get a bit higher, which typically kicks in after Breckenridge. If you leave on June 25, you won't get out of Breck until likely July 2 (ie, 15 miles per day from Denver-Breck and then a zero-day in Breck). Personally, in early July, I'd be happy with a 25-degree bag, but I'd bring long underwear and an insulated jacket to sleep in too.

Have fun!

nickoli
04-07-2015, 17:24
I'm using a 20 degree quilt on my thru, and am probably leaving the day before you. If you give your bag a gentle washing in the tub, and then dry on low with some tennis balls in your dryer youd be surprised how much dirt comes out and loft is returned.

Most days, the 20 degree bag will be enough if not overkill for me, but i have a down vest and driducks i can wear if it gets abnormally cold one night.

colorado_rob
04-07-2015, 18:18
It does depend on what kind of tent you have. If you have a standard double-wall tent, those sleep warmer than a single wall tarp tent type of setup, because you have to vent the tarp tent setup much more thoroughly. I find a standard double wall tent keeps the temps inside about 7-10 degrees warmer than outside. When I carry my tarp-type tent, which is often because it's so light, I carry a warmer bag (and this system is lighter than my standard tent and not as warm bag).

I carry a 30 degree bag all over Colorado in the summer (including camping high, near treeline at 11,500') when I use my standard tent, a 20 degree with my single-wall tarp tent.

San Juan Ron
04-09-2015, 13:52
I use a 32 degree Western Mountaineering SummerLite (with a tent). There are some nights (above 11k usually) when the temp can be below 30 and I usually where everything I have to keep warm (hat, gloves, all shirts/jackets, all socks, etc). However, that is rare. Most nights the 32 degree bag is plenty warm. A 20 degree bag is probably overkill but that's what my wife prefers. A 32 degree bag can be borderline, but if you are a warm sleeper it should suffice. Ron :)

Tripper.
04-22-2015, 14:21
I hiked sections 12-15 in 2013 and used a Katabatic Palisade 30 sleeping in a tarptent and it was fine. In 2014 I hiked sections 16-20 with the same set up and got cold. I had to put on my down jacket. Camped one night at the Eddiesville trail head and there was frost on my tent in the morning. I will have a 20 degree bag for my next trip. I am a side sleeper and roll around a lot. If I slept on my back the 30 might have been fine.

Mags
04-22-2015, 16:35
The R value of a sleeping pad and camp placement are also factors in how warm a person may be as well.

Drybones
04-22-2015, 22:23
It does depend on what kind of tent you have. If you have a standard double-wall tent, those sleep warmer than a single wall tarp tent type of setup, because you have to vent the tarp tent setup much more thoroughly. I find a standard double wall tent keeps the temps inside about 7-10 degrees warmer than outside. When I carry my tarp-type tent, which is often because it's so light, I carry a warmer bag (and this system is lighter than my standard tent and not as warm bag).

I carry a 30 degree bag all over Colorado in the summer (including camping high, near treeline at 11,500') when I use my standard tent, a 20 degree with my single-wall tarp tent.

I agree with CR...tent makes a big difference...his numbers are right on based on my experience.