PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a marmot jacket...

mnof1000v
11-07-2005, 17:45
I have had the same Marmot Precip jacket since... maybe spring 2004. Still works well keeping me dry. Here are the details:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=39172972

Is there something better I should consider for my AT hike?

(And yes, I know it totally depends on your perspective, it's a matter of opinion, yadda yadda yadda... all that typical stuff. But that's just it - I'm looking for some opinions.)
:jump

the goat
11-07-2005, 17:52
nah, it'll do ya just fine.
i had a lesser jacket when i thru'ed, i've got the precip now & wish i'da had it then.

hustler
11-08-2005, 00:22
I think you might find the marmot dry-climb would be better and here's why. You will find your never really dry in any kind of rain coat on the trail. While hiking you sweat to death and it soaks the inside of your rain coat. You will most likely find that you use your rain coat for wind protection and warmth. The dry-climb breaths so much better and is a little warmer that you will feel much drier while hiking. The weight is about the same but you might find that you will save weight by not having to carry another layer. If you look at Yogi's book on the PCT most of the hikers rated the dry-climb as their favorite piece of gear.

MedicineMan
11-08-2005, 00:48
if you've used the PreCip, if you're wanted to upgrade and still want Marmot consider this:
http://www.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=34&style_id=G5411

close to 1/2 the weight (newest Precip is 12oz.), and currently one of the lightest truly water proof breathable jackets on the market....if i was buying today that is the one i would get

The Patagonia Specter is at 8.5oz but doesnt have the Napolean pocket which is awesome to get to when wearing a pack.

Smile
11-08-2005, 07:01
I think you might find the marmot dry-climb would be better and here's why.

I tried to check this out, but couldn't find anything named "dry climb" on Marmot's site, is this a particular item or name of a material in another jacket?

Heater
11-08-2005, 07:25
I tried to check this out, but couldn't find anything named "dry climb" on Marmot's site, is this a particular item or name of a material in another jacket?

DriClime. Click the link below.

http://www.marmotmountain.com/MMWmain.asp?Option=SubCatList&Category=Clothing%2FOuterwear&SubCat=Shell+Tops%2DWater+Resistant%2FActive&CatCode=clothing

MedicineMan
11-08-2005, 07:34
but for me there is no way to hike in it----way too hot unless its 10F with 20k winds...i would like to see marmot come out with a driclime zip off pant for us winter hikers who like shorts year around but need to cover the legs on the windy summits.

Smile
11-08-2005, 07:49
Would you suggest this for rain gear, or would the windshirt be a better layer for cooler weather?

jigsaw
11-08-2005, 08:01
contact cedar tree and get a packa by far the best rain gear ive used. there's plenty of info here on wb about it. 11 oz. covers me down to my knees no more wet shorts from rain or sweaty rain pants also covers your pack water tight oh ya it also makes a nice pillow to :jump

Peaks
11-08-2005, 08:07
Would you suggest this for rain gear, or would the windshirt be a better layer for cooler weather?

Marmot Precip is one good choice for rain gear.

Marmot DryClim windshirt is one good choice for layering, but is not waterproof.

Jeff
11-08-2005, 09:42
My experience with the Marmot Driclime windshirt is that it's perfect for light rain/mist especially in windy conditions. It is the only insulting layer needed during my summer months on the trail....perfect for cooling evening in camp.

"ME & U"
11-08-2005, 10:08
We used the precip jacket on our thru. I agree that it was best as a wind break or heat retainer in camp.
This past July we hiked the Long trail and went with light wt soft shells (EMS cheapys) and carried the extra wt of a good quality camp change.
(EMS cheapys).
This made a huge difference in our hiking and virtually dismissed heat exhaustion!
Soft shells are the way to go, just have a good backup.
By the way, We packed our camp jackets with our sleeping bags so we weren't tempted to use them during the day if it got nasty. It worked well to keep moving and let these soft shells do their thing. Breath!
We did get wet at times (not drenched) and I found that the shells dried quick enough with my body heat that I was able to wear it in camp while I did the "chores"
I'd admit that it takes some getting used to, to change from hard shell to soft but... once you do you won't go back until you're doing the winter thing. In which case I use a heavier soft shell as a second layer under 3 layer gore tex.
Don't forget that you can simply bounce a layer ahead if temps rise.

The Solemates
11-08-2005, 10:19
if you've used the PreCip, if you're wanted to upgrade and still want Marmot consider this:
http://www.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=34&style_id=G5411

close to 1/2 the weight (newest Precip is 12oz.), and currently one of the lightest truly water proof breathable jackets on the market....if i was buying today that is the one i would get

The Patagonia Specter is at 8.5oz but doesnt have the Napolean pocket which is awesome to get to when wearing a pack.

wow i havent seen this. im impressed. if i can get my hands on one at an outfitter to look at, i may consider buying one as my next purchase. ...although it is quite steep.