PDA

View Full Version : Trail Runners and Ankle Braces

Thinspace
04-07-2015, 12:48
I have been waffeling back and forth between high top boots for ankle support and low cut trail runners for lighter weight. From what I've been reading my usderstanding is that high cut boots don't really support ankles and ankle braces would do a better job. I'm looking for recommendations for trail runners / low cut hiking boots and also ankle braces. I have a wide foot, high arch and hike in the White Mountains of NH and Maine. I looked at the choices online and was quickly overwhelmed by the number of optios so I figured maybe I'l poll you folks to get your opinoins and recommendations.

Thanks all.

peakbagger
04-07-2015, 13:31
The question to begin with is do you have any special ankle issues that would require braces to begin with? The whole concept of using high boots for ankle support has pretty much been busted. Its a case of if you don't use supporting muscles and tendons in your ankles they will be weak, high boots are a crutch that might keep a weekender from spraining an ankle but fundamentally the goal of any hiker should be to use those muscles and tendons so they act like they should.

I personally would sprain ankles frequently on hikes using heavy high boots for years including custom Limmers. I switched over to trail runners and I rarely if ever sprain an ankle and when I do I can usually walk it off. I live in the whites and am out most weekends. Once you build up your ankles, hiking through the rocky sections of the whites gets a lot more fun. I have size 13 EEEE and run New Balances. The one trade off I use is I swap out the stock insole with Montrail heat moldable inserts. They use up a bit more volume so you need to account for that when picking them. The Montrail inserts have small reinforced insert for the arch and it proves somewhat handy for landing on pointy rocks when its needed. I do variations of presidential traverses most years and my choice of footgear isn't a limitation.

colorado_rob
04-07-2015, 13:54
The question to begin with is do you have any special ankle issues that would require braces to begin with? The whole concept of using high boots for ankle support has pretty much been busted...True this! The myth of high-cut boots providing any more than just a tad of ankle support will never die, I'm afraid.

Ankle support comes from a stiff sole, so if you want ankle support and still relatively light weight boots, get what I call a "hybrid", meaning a stiff sole but low cut. There aren't many out there. In fact the only ones I've seen are Merrell Chameleons, but I'm sure there are others (like PB mentioned Montrail). Grab a potential shoe/low-boot and twist firmly. If it is hard to twist, it gives good ankle support. As a bonus, I find my feet get less fatigue over long miles with a stiff soled shoe.

Thinspace
04-07-2015, 15:23
[QUOTE=peakbagger;1961727]The question to begin with is do you have any special ankle issues that would require braces to begin with?

I haven't had any ankle issues hiking but have had a couple of severe sprains in my youth form other activities. Most of my hiking was done between the 70's and 90's and I got away from it. I' getting back into it and I guess it's fear of the unknown. I'm 66 years old now but maybe my concerns are unfounded? Definately like the idea of lighter footwear though!

jeffmeh
04-07-2015, 15:40
The question to begin with is do you have any special ankle issues that would require braces to begin with? The whole concept of using high boots for ankle support has pretty much been busted. Its a case of if you don't use supporting muscles and tendons in your ankles they will be weak, high boots are a crutch that might keep a weekender from spraining an ankle but fundamentally the goal of any hiker should be to use those muscles and tendons so they act like they should.

I personally would sprain ankles frequently on hikes using heavy high boots for years including custom Limmers. I switched over to trail runners and I rarely if ever sprain an ankle and when I do I can usually walk it off. I live in the whites and am out most weekends. Once you build up your ankles, hiking through the rocky sections of the whites gets a lot more fun. I have size 13 EEEE and run New Balances. The one trade off I use is I swap out the stock insole with Montrail heat moldable inserts. They use up a bit more volume so you need to account for that when picking them. The Montrail inserts have small reinforced insert for the arch and it proves somewhat handy for landing on pointy rocks when its needed. I do variations of presidential traverses most years and my choice of footgear isn't a limitation.

I had exactly the same experience, with many ankle rolls in boots, including custom Limmers while wearing ankle braces. Since switching to trail shoes (currently Merrell Moab Ventilators) I have had significantly less ankle issues on the trail. Trekking poles help quite a bit also.

peakbagger
04-07-2015, 15:51
Jeff definitely did pick up on something. I started using poles prior to trailrunners but feel that they are a major factor especially down hill in reducing wear and tear. I have used them long enough that I really put a lot of trust in them in some cases. Of course I also reflexively check them for tightness frequently. I expect my knees would be out of commission if not for trekking poles. Poles take awhile to get used to and I am an advocate of cutting the straps off as there are times when its important to let them go quickly. I know of too many people accidently sliding down a slope and getting their pole caught as they were using straps. At best they just had a sudden stop but others have popped a shoulder or really trashed up their wrists. Strap are fine for the southern AT but not for up north.

steve0423
04-07-2015, 16:22
I have a dicey left ankle from years of sprains and a break. I like trail runners, (Salomon xa pro 3d ultra 2s for years but recently trying a pair of Ultra lone peak 2.0s), and a T2 Active Ankle brace. More support than I’ve ever found in boots and very comfortable.

bigcranky
04-07-2015, 16:26
The Aso ankle brace works pretty well. I would not wear one hiking (or anywhere else) unless my doc or PT suggested it. For me it made a difference when rehabbing an ankle problem.

steve0423
04-07-2015, 16:38
+1 on what bigcranky said. My physical therapist advised me to use a brace when hiking, trail running etc. However he cautioned against become overly reliant on the brace and potentially weakening muscles needed for support.
I also like the ASO when I need a soft brace, like inside boots, waders, etc.

floppyfoot
04-08-2015, 08:25
Ankle strength not ankle braces if you can help it. I moved from heavy boots to light shoes and did a ton of ankle work to get strong ankles. If you dont have braces for every day use, build ankle strength.

bgillomega
04-08-2015, 23:43
The only questions I would ask are how much do you weigh and what is your pack weight. Trail runners are great as long as you keep your pack weight down. Don't listen to advice about specific brands. You won't know how well something works until you try them out yourself.

q-tip
04-09-2015, 11:58
Afteryears of searching for a solution, boots, lt. wt boots...... I found Montrail trail runners with ankle braces to be the perfect solution for me.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21440&uid=20935&d=1375185133

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=21439&uid=20935&d=1375185108

Walkintom
04-09-2015, 12:08
I have old ankle injuries. Some of those were sustained while wearing boots - to protect my ankles. My experience has been that I roll ankles less when wearing low cut shoes and when I do roll one the injuries tend to be less severe as well. YMMV.

I would not wear an ankle brace without an active injury.

Thinspace
04-09-2015, 12:30
The only questions I would ask are how much do you weigh and what is your pack weight. Trail runners are great as long as you keep your pack weight down. Don't listen to advice about specific brands. You won't know how well something works until you try them out yourself.

I weigh about 170 and i expect my pack to be 30 lbs or so with water and a few days of food. That weight will decrease as $$ allows to replace a couple of items. Also my body weight is decreasing as I lose my gut. After reading the responses it sounds like trail runners are definately the way to go.