PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry camping near Mt Monroe

TonyDedo
04-08-2015, 00:52
I'm planning a White Mountains traverse with some friends this summer, and I'm having trouble with the itinerary through the Presidentials.

The plan is to go from Nauman Tentsite to one of the camps on the north side of Adams (probably Crag Camp), but I think that's going to be too far for us to go in a day, especially considering we're going to want to summit all the various peaks in between.

So we're going to have to break it up into two days. Problem is, I can't figure out where to camp.

My friends refuse to pay the $100+ to stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut.

Is there an alternative camp site, or someplace to backcountry camp without hiking too far off the ridge, between Nauman and Adams?

Looking at a map, it seems like you could hike a mile or so down the Dry River Trail into Oakes Gulf and legally backcountry camp somewhere near Dry River in the flat area just below the 4000 ft mark. However, I've never been in the area and have no idea if this is actually feasible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

tdoczi
04-08-2015, 09:14
I'm planning a White Mountains traverse with some friends this summer, and I'm having trouble with the itinerary through the Presidentials.

The plan is to go from Nauman Tentsite to one of the camps on the north side of Adams (probably Crag Camp), but I think that's going to be too far for us to go in a day, especially considering we're going to want to summit all the various peaks in between.

So we're going to have to break it up into two days. Problem is, I can't figure out where to camp.

My friends refuse to pay the $100+ to stay at Lake of the Clouds Hut.

Is there an alternative camp site, or someplace to backcountry camp without hiking too far off the ridge, between Nauman and Adams?

Looking at a map, it seems like you could hike a mile or so down the Dry River Trail into Oakes Gulf and legally backcountry camp somewhere near Dry River in the flat area just below the 4000 ft mark. However, I've never been in the area and have no idea if this is actually feasible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

others would know better about where to camp off the ridge, but my opinion is that itd be better to just push on than to drop that far off the ridge.

TonyDedo
04-08-2015, 23:43
others would know better about where to camp off the ridge, but my opinion is that itd be better to just push on than to drop that far off the ridge.

I'm thinking the same thing, but I'm skeptical of our ability to get across the ridge in one day and don't want to be walking into a full camp after dark...

peakbagger
04-09-2015, 09:19
There are no legal backcountry camp sites near Monroe. Ammonusuc Ravine trail is closed to camping until down at Gem Pool. The most accessible spot in the Jewell trail about 1 mile down and 1000 feet in elevation. You can usually get water running down the slope prior to heading below treeline. (make sure to treat as the Gulfside trail is immediately up slope so the water may not be as clean as you think). The campsite is a wide spot, sort of flat with room for possibly three tents close together with a fire ring on occasion. It is immediately to the side of the trail but meets the regs as legal (if not that desirable). The softwoods in the area are mature enough that there are other spots under the canopy to the south of the trail. It is used by many thruhikers.

Issues to be aware of, Jewell trail is quite popular with day hikers, they will be hiking down late into the evening. Day hikers also tend to use the surrounding woods area as a toilet spot as its the first spot that has any privacy heading down, thus be careful where you step and set up a tent. The spot although in the trees is still very exposed. The prevailing weather and summer Thunderstorms come from the west and you will be staring right at them. Its a long ways down the trail to get to a less exposed area. That being said on a nice night its not that far to head up to above treeline and catch an incredible sunset.

There is also "sort of flat" camping down Edmonds Path just past Eisenhower, that is a short day from Nauman. Fill up with water before heading down. The camping spots are to the left along a bootleg path after you pass the "Gateway" which is small stone wall. Its still 2/ to 3/4s of a mile down off the ridge. The option for an evening sunset is a lot longer walk back up to the ridge.

Dry River Trail and Mt Eisenhower trail are not recommended as its a long way down before the trees open up.

Sphinx Trail has no legal campspots for quite a distance and a long drop down what is essentially a stream bed. Many folks bootleg camp about 100 yards off Gulfside at the base of various boulders. This location is not legal as its above treeline and its occasionally enforced by USFS. There is some protection from incoming weather but if a thunderstorm comes in, this entire section of ridgeline gets hammered and a tent wont be any protection and there is no where to run.

Caps Ridge Trail or Six Husbands trail are not an option as the first flat spot is long way down.

The RMC Perch is just about at Adams and it gets lots of use.

Thus unless you want to take your chances on the Dungeon at Lake of the Clouds and love the smell of urine, The Jewell trail option is about the best