PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil Minimo or MSR Reactor

Gray Bear
04-08-2015, 06:41
I have an opportunity to pick up either a Minimo or an MSR Reactor at a decent price and I'm curious if it is worth upgrading to. Right now i have the older Flash (I think that's what it is) The simmering feature and the wider pot on the Minimo would be nice. In the past the Jetboil weights have been a little off but my flash isn't exactly a light weight setup. Is anyone here using one? How does the simmer feature work? I'm not really worried about boil times. I'm guessing the fuel efficiency is decent. The other stove on my radar is the MSR reactor because of fuel efficiency and the ability to boil in high wind. I also have a MSR micro rocket with a small cook pot for a light weight setup. The only reason I'm looking at the upgrades to the Flash is the deal I have available ( I can get the Minimo for $60 and the Reactor for $100 out of pocket). You can never have too many stoves!

brancher
04-08-2015, 06:47
I had an original Jetboil for long distance - before pot stands, etc. I really liked it, but got rid of it because of perceived lack of flexibility (nd I didn't want to buy into the 'jetboil family'. Since that time they have grown, and the Minimo looks very interesting - easily stowed, easy to eat out of, etc. I think if I were in the market today, it would be a Minimo over hte MSR.

I just use my trusty POAA(*) setup now, but the Minimo certainly looks attractive.

BTW if you're an REI member you get th 20% right now.

* 'Plain Old Anodized Aluminum'

sfdoc
04-08-2015, 07:51
$60 for a Minimo is outstanding. I have a Minimo and it's a pretty neat stove. You can also buy an additional large cup for it. I'd go for it.

Starchild
04-08-2015, 11:27
With the Minimo you can use it interchangeably with your Flash pot/stove, so some added minor versatility. Might be nice to bring the standard burner if you are just boiling water on a trip, it's lighter.

The reactor OTOH is the best for really rough conditions, while the jetboil is only OK there.

The Jetboil is slightly more efficient, however the reactor is slightly faster, both are pretty minor differences.

To me it comes down to do you want to cook in a hurricane, will you be hiking and cooking in those conditions or will you simply not be on trail if the weather looks that bad.

If you are out in all conditions, perhaps as part of employment, then I would say spend the extra on the reactor, if you would not be out in those condition then save the money and upgrade to the Minimo. If you are inbetween, like planning a thru hike, decide if you will know in advance if a storm is coming with enough time to get off trail, or you may be caught off guard. In the bubble of the AT you will know, but if doing a hike where you are away from people for long stretches you may be caught out there.

Starvin Marvin
04-09-2015, 01:03
Be careful...the Reactor has a safety feature, that when tripped, cannot be reset. You basically end up with a paper weight.

For more info on stoves, check out Hikin Jim's site....Adventures in Stoving.

Gray Bear
04-09-2015, 04:15
Be careful...the Reactor has a safety feature, that when tripped, cannot be reset. You basically end up with a paper weight.

For real? Thats crazy! I've never heard that before. That would really suck! Do any of the other stoves have this feature?

Starchild
04-09-2015, 07:54

Last I heard they corrected it, it is field re-setable.

On edit and correction, it is the Windboiler that is field resettable, not the Reactor.

Gray Bear
04-09-2015, 08:54

That would make much more sense.

CarlZ993
04-09-2015, 14:42
I don't own the Minimo (yet; I own so many stoves that I'm sure I'll get this one in the future as well). I do own several Jetboil versions. I also own the MSR Reactor. The 'standard' Reactor has a 1.7L pot. Pretty big for a 1-person setup. Also, Reactor simmering is out of the question. You boil water really fast. Don't start heating your water until your food setup is complete. MSR also has 1-L pot & a 2.5-L pot set ups.

Both setups are not very lightweight. If I'm choosing between a JetBoil setup & a Reactor, I almost always bring the Reactor. The Reactor is just a little faster in boil times in most situations. If it's windy, it's way faster than the JetBoil.

Disclosure: For years, my go-to solo setup was a SnowPeak Titanium Gigapower canister stove w/ a 0.9L Evernew pot. Now, I use the same pot but with a Soto Windmaster Stove (handles the wind much better).

Mr. Bumpy
04-09-2015, 21:21
I've had jet boils but now I use the reactor. I prefer the reactor. The reactor is so efficient with the fuel that for 3-4 day cold weather trips I don't cary a water filter and just boil whatever I drink. I've never run out of fuel. My warm weather stove is a giga.

Pineknot
04-09-2015, 21:29
I have the Minimo and love it. I like the low profile pot and the capacity is just right. Simmer feature works great too.

Starvin Marvin
04-10-2015, 19:25

Do your research folks, that is NOT correct. The Reactor has a safety feature, that if is tripped, cannot be feild reset. If i am out for a few days in the winter, where my survival depends on this stove working, i will choose a different stove.

MSRs new Windboiler stove is feild resettable. I am happy that feature has been addressed. Now we just need a bigger pot size for melting snow.

I think the Reactor is a fine stove, until its not.

4eyedbuzzard
04-10-2015, 19:45
Do your research folks, that is NOT correct. The Reactor has a safety feature, that if is tripped, cannot be feild reset. If i am out for a few days in the winter, where my survival depends on this stove working, i will choose a different stove.

MSRs new Windboiler stove is feild resettable. I am happy that feature has been addressed. Now we just need a bigger pot size for melting snow.

Yeah, I too can find no mention of MSR fixing this "protect me from myself" feature. I don't need a stove that is smarter than I am - I have a phone for that. :D

Starchild
04-10-2015, 19:58

Sorry and yes it is the Windboiler that I have heard this about, not the Reactor.

Gray Bear
04-11-2015, 04:24
Thats too bad. Thats a deal breaker for me. Looks like the Minimo is my next canister stove.