PDA

View Full Version : How many people use their backpacking stove at home

Anumber1
11-07-2005, 21:51
I bought one of those neat little ION stoves recently and found myself cooking soup in my kitchen with it. I use it nearly every day now.

Curious to see how many people use their backpacking stoves to cook in their home kitchens....

A no. 1

april2006
11-07-2005, 21:58
I have been using my little alcohol stove alot lately, but in my case I'm trying out different "quick" foods from the supermarket to see what will work. I've cooked lots of stuff with my alcohol stove and pot cozy. It's really fun though. Besides if I close my eyes I can imagine I'm in the woods!!

Husko
11-07-2005, 22:00
Glad I wasn't the first one to do this. When I bought my first stove I cooked alot out on the porch. I even a couple of times in the house but decided it very unsafe, especially when lighing it. :o I tend to let too much fuel out and I got a rather big surpise one evening.:-?

bobtomaskovic
11-07-2005, 22:13
Great for hurricanes and dinner at the shop

rusty075
11-07-2005, 22:37
Pocket Rockets are mighty handy for lighting cigars too. :)

Scrunchy
11-07-2005, 22:52
Great for hurricanes and dinner at the shop
Snowstorms too :D

MedicineMan
11-07-2005, 22:56
most backpackers are already prepared per Homeland Security recommendations except maybe we should put up some water, but i bet most of us have a 3 day supply of food already.
I've even used the alcohol stove in motel rooms versus going out to eat.
Mostly at home its like the above posters, testing out cooking times and meal combo's, or demoing the contraption to the kids who have asked how/what do you cook/eat on the trail.

neo
11-07-2005, 23:05
i have used my stove at home,i also do the hammock thingy to at home:cool: neo

SGT Rock
11-07-2005, 23:06
I'm guilty of it too.

saimyoji
11-08-2005, 00:55
Guilty: stoves, tents, bags...I've been known to work in the yard in the pooring rain to test waterproof-ness of equipment. My neighbors think I'm nuts. My wife agrees.

MedicineMan
11-08-2005, 01:12
each down quilt i use on the trail is on a bed at home when not in the pack...keeps 'em non-crushed besides usefull

justusryans
11-08-2005, 04:19
Guilty: stoves, tents, bags...I've been known to work in the yard in the pooring rain to test waterproof-ness of equipment. My neighbors think I'm nuts. My wife agrees.

And I thought it was just me! Of course in my case I really am certifiable so ...:jump

Heater
11-08-2005, 06:32
I bought one of those neat little ION stoves recently and found myself cooking soup in my kitchen with it. I use it nearly every day now.

Curious to see how many people use their backpacking stoves to cook in their home kitchens....

A no. 1

I do when i try out a new one pot meal recipe to see how well it works. :o

peter_pan
11-08-2005, 06:51
GUILTY...mostly I call it testing...:)

Pan

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-08-2005, 07:20
Well, let's just say that the last time we had a major power outage about half the nieghborhood was on my front porch using my old car-camping gear -- huge Coleman two burner stove.

I haven't ever broken out the Whisperlite International for home cooking, however. I test trail 'cook-ability' on my kitchen range using only the high setting.

AbeHikes
11-08-2005, 08:24
GUILTY...mostly I call it testing...:)

Pan

Let's agree to keep calling it that. We'll park backwards in the driveway so the neighbors can't see the "I'd rather be hiking" bumper sticker.

Marta
11-08-2005, 08:39
[quote=saimyoji]Guilty: stoves, tents, bags...I've been known to work in the yard in the pooring rain to test waterproof-ness of equipment. My neighbors think I'm nuts.quote]

I'm lucky that my next door neighbor is a Scout leader. One weekend, while I had my hammock set up in the back yard, he had his tent set up to air out. It looked a bit like a KOA.

CynJ
11-08-2005, 09:27
I fall into that "testing" camp. I'm working on different food ideas and test them with my cat stove. And for anyone afraid of using their alcohol stove in the house - just put it on a metal cookie sheet or the bottom half of a broiler pan. No worries that way.

The neighbors must have thought I was completely nuts when I was out on the back deck a couple weeks ago in one of those wicked storms we've been having in NE lately - testing out my new combination windscreen/potholder for my cat stove. Which worked wonderfully btw.

Rockjock
11-08-2005, 09:28
I use it for power outages, etc. Also I always pack it on extended work trips and cook in the hotel. There are always those who have that look on their face like " you do know there are perfectly good restaurants around, don't you?".

jlb2012
11-08-2005, 09:31
most of my cooking at home is of the boil water and pour into ziplock in cozy type - the only difference from cooking on the trail is that I use the microwave to boil the water instead of a beer can pot over an alcohol burner.

Just Jeff
11-08-2005, 11:58
Yup.

I saw the forecast - it was going to rain last night, so I set up my hammock in the back yard. Had to test the tarp!

Use the stove now and then, too.

Footslogger
11-08-2005, 12:01
We lose power on ocassion out here during the winter and it's nice to know we've got a couple stoves and fuel to bring some water to boil and make dinner.

'Slogger

max patch
11-08-2005, 12:04
I use my bakepacker to make an easy irish soda bread.

QHShowoman
11-08-2005, 12:07
No stove use inside, but I do sleep in my summerweight bag ... on top of my made bed with all its $$$ bedding. Beats having to make your bed every day!

Kerosene
11-08-2005, 13:18
OMG, what kind of whack-o's have I been listening to? :jump

Seeker
11-08-2005, 13:22
during the days our power and AC were out during the aftermath of hurricane rita, i used my camp stoves to cook, and spent several nights out in my hammock... i do a lot of testing in the backyard too... neighbors were envious. of course i shared.

k4kam
11-08-2005, 15:33
Nothing better than a 'cookout' in the back yard for lunch or supper ('dinner' to the persons from the Nawth), using my Etowah alcohol stove and some dehydrated trail food.

I have some food that is approaching expiration date due to my cancelled '05 hike and the wife says I can't buy new food 'till the old food is eaten.

TJ aka Teej
11-08-2005, 18:32
I fall into that "testing" camp.

I call it practice.
Mrs TJ calls it 'playing'...

Ridge
11-09-2005, 16:35
My husband carries his zip wood burner in the car, will fix coffee waiting for me at the mall. Uses it everywhere and at any time (outside). Got questioned by cops one time (smoke) while cooking at edge of parking lot in large city once. They thought he was nuts.

D'Artagnan
11-09-2005, 17:15
I hope I don't step on any toes with this, but I used to think Star Trek fans were real weirdos. Then I became a hiker and realized that I was a weirdo too. At least I'm sure my neighbors think I am. Why else would an adult camp out in their own backyard? (Of course, I always tell myself I'm field-testing my gear.) I'm glad I'm not alone in this. :D

atraildreamer
05-07-2006, 05:00
I use my homemade alcohol stoves all the time to cook at home. Made a chocolate cake in my mini fring pan. The wife thought I was nuts, but she enjoyed the cake :D

Remember to turn on the hood fan to vent the fumes if you set up the campstove on top of the regular kitchen stove. If the power goes out, then set it up near an open window, or on the back porch.

If you are going to use the stove in an emergency situation, be sure to stock up on alcohol fuel, such as Heet drygas, or denatured alcohol. Put it with your emergency supplies.

atraildreamer
05-07-2006, 05:01
I use my homemade alcohol stoves all the time to cook at home. Made a chocolate cake in my mini frying pan. The wife thought I was nuts, but she enjoyed the cake:D

Remember to turn on the hood fan to vent the fumes if you set up the campstove on top of the regular kitchen stove.

If you are going to use the stove in an emergency situation, be sure to stock up on alcohol fuel, such as Heet drygas, or denatured alcohol. Put it with your emergency supplies.

atraildreamer
05-07-2006, 05:12
SSoommeehhooww...II ddoouubbllee ppoosstteedd tthhee llaasstt ttwwoo rreepplliieess!! WWiill tthhee ppoowweerrss tthhaatt bbee pplleeaassee rreemmoovvee oonnee ooff tthheemm??:eek: :eek:

The Hog
05-07-2006, 06:17
I cook over wood fires on the trail. At home, I'll often grill over wood (maple)coals - great flavor - and indoors will heat and cook stuff on a wood stove. I make a killer chili that simmers all day on the stove before serving. So, yeah, I happily plead guilty to bringing trail habits home.

Smile
05-07-2006, 06:30
I've used mine just about every day since I've come off trail....usually for a cup of tea or some soup out on the deck.......it's just become a habit, and I like to feel the heaviness of a brand new can of denatured alchohol in my hands......
uh oh, I've become a weirdo

Tinker
05-07-2006, 06:45
Not so much anymore, but when I was experimenting with alcohol stoves, making all the complicated glue-together units, I would often fire them up in the back yard and cook Lipton dinners. My Hennessy Hammock is set up between two fence posts purchased just for that purchase. It's right next to my neighbor's stockade fence. I know I snore, and it's probably a great source of amusement (and annoyance :D ) to my former inner-city neighbors who moved in next door (in the 'burbs) when the husband hit the lottery. Her idea of outdoors is a walk around the block. His is getting on his big 'ol powerboat with his buddies and a few cases of beer for a fishing trip on the bay. Yep, I bet they think I'm nuts.

Tinker
Not so much anymore, but when I was experimenting with alcohol stoves, making all the complicated glue-together units, I would often fire them up in the back yard and cook Lipton dinners. My Hennessy Hammock is set up between two fence posts purchased just for that purchase. It's right next to my neighbor's stockade fence. I know I snore, and it's probably a great source of amusement (and annoyance :D ) to my former inner-city neighbors who moved in next door (in the 'burbs) when the husband hit the lottery. Her idea of outdoors is a walk around the block. His is getting on his big 'ol powerboat with his buddies and a few cases of beer for a fishing trip on the bay. Yep, I bet they think I'm nuts.

Tinker

Tinker
05-07-2006, 06:47
Got impatient with slow post.:o

BooBoo
05-07-2006, 16:03
My whisperlite allways goes to festivals with me.

Spock
05-07-2006, 18:47
Good idea - using ALL your cooking system at home is a great way to make sure everything from stove to recipes will work when you are on the trail.

HOWEVER: DON'T LIGHT A CAMPING STOVE INDOORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter what kind of stove or fuel you are using DON'T LIGHT IT IN THE HOUSE. Alcohol and gasoline are particularly dangerous.

And it is better to test outside anyway - in the weather.

jadd
05-07-2006, 19:48
I find that a 4 min. burn with my pepsi can stove makes a half bathroom toasty warm on a cold winter morning.

atraildreamer
05-08-2006, 13:40
No matter what kind of stove or fuel you are using DON'T LIGHT IT IN THE HOUSE. Alcohol and gasoline are particularly dangerous.

And it is better to test outside anyway - in the weather.

No way I would test a gasoline powered stove in the house. Alcohol stoves of the Pepsi can, or cat stove varieties are another matter. A stainless steel kitchen sink is a good place to test, and a kitchen range with a hood vent fan is better. I set the stove in a pan to catch any spillover, and start with a SMALL amount (about 1 tablespoon) of alcohol. I would avoid indoor testing the can stoves that use a screw to seal the fuel fill hole...too much chance of a pressure build up and subsequent messy, and dangerous, spewing of flaming alcohol. This happened to me scaring me, and the cat (she was watching the antics of the crazy master of the house :banana ), half to death. Happily, the fire blew out when the can stove popped apart :) .

Some prior planning, common sense and careful testing technique is necessary. Don't do the tests in front of the children...they may get ideas and try to imitate you...with disasterous results.:eek:

SuzyQhoo
05-29-2006, 17:08
Just made two (and a half) different alcohol stoves!!! I'm can now join the addicted...

I will be cooking on them at home. I just HAVE TO!

And after reading through these, I must admit that after grad school, I slept in my sleeping bag on the floor for 9 months...even after buying a house and mattress set (I was waiting on the actual bed frame...got it, was highly dissatisfied, sent it back...seven years later, still sleeping on box springs & mattress :)). Those nine months, my back felt the best it has ever felt...have considered ditching the mattress/box springs many times!

Suz

Mountain Mike
05-29-2006, 19:39
I'm guilty too! I travel a lot with my job working motorcycly rallies. The crew really enjoyed it when I got sick of normally available vendor food & I pulled out my stove & bakepacker. Fresh coffee cake, brownies & salmon quesidillas made for a nice change of fare.

Mountain Mike
05-29-2006, 19:50
I grew up in the scouts cooking all backcountry meals from scratch. Often we would haul a dutch oven along & bake pies & cakes. You name it & I could make it out over a wood fire in the backcountry. In my mid teen my parents got divorced. My brother & I ended up with my father. After several weeks of alternating between hot dogs and beans or mac & cheese my father got fed up. He pointed out our cooking abilities camping, and suggested we could adapt some of our recipes to that big white metal heating device in the kitchen. No longer imtimidated by an oven, but prefer to be out in the woods cooking. Just tastes better!

Amigi'sLastStand
05-29-2006, 20:55
i have used my stove at home,i also do the hammock thingy to at home:cool: neo

You didnt even need to tell us that you did the hammock thingie at home. Didn't even need to say it..... I didnt think you owned a bed, just a king sized hammock for you and the misses.:D

As having just left the confines of normal society myself, I must know, is the Matrix all reality outside of a hammock, neo?:confused: Just kidding, really. Was gonna save that question for ya if we ever meet, but just couldnt resist. :)

Lanthar Mandragoran
05-30-2006, 12:29
No longer imtimidated by an oven, but prefer to be out in the woods cooking. Just tastes better!

Yep, cobbler is always better when cooked in a dutch oven over coals... but even in a kitchen oven, my 'Poor Man's Cobbler' still impresses people...