PDA

View Full Version : Another transportation question for JMT...

saltysack
04-08-2015, 17:03
I'm flying into Mammoth the day before and getting a hotel. My permit for DPP north on JMT sept 10-13 then catch yarts Sunday sept 13 back to mammoth grab hotel. Got second permit Sept 14 DPP south on JMT exiting Whitney Sept 26. The shuttles from town to trail heads stops a few days prior to my hike. Is it fairly easy to hitch to trail heads? I called mammoth taxi and its $65x2 as I'll be going out twice...I'd like to save alittle cash and hitch but haven't ever done....Thx for all the help....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
04-08-2015, 20:25
Tight schedule. It can be done though I think if the Yarts timing works.

I think flights are only afternoon like 530 or so, so you will get a late start the first morning by time you go pick up permit and get to trailhead.

Have you considered showing up a day early and trying to get walk-up permit for the first part a day earlier than reservation? It might give you a little slack. Of course, thats another hotel night.

saltysack
04-08-2015, 20:37
I'm getting in at 5:30 day before. Staying at hotel...if hitching doesn't work I'll shell out the $65 for a ride to DPP.. That gives me 4 days to cover 60 miles...15 mpd should be doable. The yarts leave HI at 5:30 on sat,sun.

saltysack
04-08-2015, 20:52
Tight schedule. It can be done though I think if the Yarts timing works.

I think flights are only afternoon like 530 or so, so you will get a late start the first morning by time you go pick up permit and get to trailhead.

Have you considered showing up a day early and trying to get walk-up permit for the first part a day earlier than reservation? It might give you a little slack. Of course, thats another hotel night.

I may try this....I tried to leave another day but even out of DPP permits were scarce....then the exit permit on the other hand.....pita!

wornoutboots
04-08-2015, 21:04
Call the Mammoth Lakes Outfitters & ask if they have any employees that would shuttle you or when the time gets closer, ask them if anyone's headed that was & you would chip in for gas. Also you should join the 2014 JMT Facebook group, there may be some ppl there leaving when you're leaving + you can ask this question there, I know a few ppl in that group live in ML.
Also to save a few bucks either stay at the Davidson Guest house/hostel in ML or even price-line a room once your plane hits the ground.

wornoutboots
04-08-2015, 21:06
Sorry, when I said ML Outfitters, that isn't a store, I mean to google "outfitters in ML" & call them all & put their #'s in your phone

MuddyWaters
04-09-2015, 21:43
I'm getting in at 5:30 day before. Staying at hotel...if hitching doesn't work I'll shell out the $65 for a ride to DPP.. That gives me 4 days to cover 60 miles...15 mpd should be doable. The yarts leave HI at 5:30 on sat,sun.

Its definitely doable. Im just personally cautious about contingencies like bad weather, altitude sickness, injury that can slow me, etc. in situations where I have to depend on limited options. Theres always a fallback though. Even if you miss your Yart from yosemite for some reason, you can hitch or hire a shuttle to get to mammoth, then get a walkup permit if you miss your reservation there too. Somehow, no matter what goes wrong, it will likely work out fine, just might end up costing a bit more money somehow.

saltysack
04-10-2015, 10:00
Its definitely doable. Im just personally cautious about contingencies like bad weather, altitude sickness, injury that can slow me, etc. in situations where I have to depend on limited options. Theres always a fallback though. Even if you miss your Yart from yosemite for some reason, you can hitch or hire a shuttle to get to mammoth, then get a walkup permit if you miss your reservation there too. Somehow, no matter what goes wrong, it will likely work out fine, just might end up costing a bit more money somehow.

I called the permit office for DPP. They only have a total of 4 walk up permits that are offered by several permit office...doest sound very likely but may try....