PDA

View Full Version : Christmas list

hikerjohnd
11-07-2005, 22:06
So my wife asked me what I want for Christmas. I really have no idea, aside from a few small things (new winter hat, a few books), there is not much I need. But I thought it would make an interesting topic - So, what is everyone asking Santa for this year?

Just Jeff
11-07-2005, 22:34
PeaPod...maybe the 4 oz backpack at BPL...probably a good midlayer...and a week off by myself in the woods.

SGT Rock
11-07-2005, 23:53
Peace on Earth.

and...

A good time out with my boys.

Sandy B
11-07-2005, 23:55
I don't NEED any new gear, I am sure I could find a few things to replace, BUT a "two week pass" to go on the trail would be great.
sandy

CynJ
11-08-2005, 09:48
Since we don't have any children in the family right now we set a $35 gift limit among all the adults and threw out the lists. It makes Christmas a lot more fun and no-one goes broke. We are all in the habit of buying what we want throughout the year so why go overboard at Christmas - its more the thought and creativity behind the gift that matters.

So there are a couple of pieces of gear that I need that will fit that budget.

-I found the *perfect* folding pocket knife at Dick's - its a Buck, single blade and only weighs 1oz! It looks/feels just like my most used and most favorite paring knife from home. And its only $20 so it's the budget

-I want the vestibule and footprint for my Eureka Timberline - they are about $35 and $8 respectively

I am getting spoiled in one regard though - As a combination birthday/anniversary/Christmas gift from my hubby I am getting an iPod. :D Although I might be leaning more towards on the of the Palm's that will handle mp3s so I can do ebooks as well as mp3s We'll see who has the better sale come the holidays.

"ME & U"
11-08-2005, 10:35
To hike away with "ME" is all I'd ever ask for!:banana

Lone Wolf
11-08-2005, 10:37
I'm Jewish. We don't get no stinkin presents and trees.

orangebug
11-08-2005, 10:59
Christmas is a great time to buy stocking stuffer hiking gear for folks who have no clue. I like little LED lights for key rings, whistles, glove liners, leather soled booties (Smartwool at Campmore), and the like.

I let folks know I can always use new Smartwools, hiker skivies, convertible pants, books and the like.

Ender
11-08-2005, 11:04

Yeah you do get presents... twelve days of them! Plus, you get a fancy candelabra menorah thing. Cool. :)

justusryans
11-08-2005, 11:27

And the Hanukkah song too!:banana

QHShowoman
11-08-2005, 11:28
Yeah you do get presents... twelve days of them! Plus, you get a fancy candelabra menorah thing. Cool. :) Did Hanukah suddenly get 4 days longer in some parts of the world?

neo
11-08-2005, 11:49
dear santa
please send me a jacksrbetter quilt set:cool: neo

fiddlehead
11-08-2005, 11:56
A backpack to carry babies.
Also, i agree with Sgt. Rock: Peace on Earth would be an AWESOME gift!

Ender
11-08-2005, 12:26
Did Hanukah suddenly get 4 days longer in some parts of the world?

Ha! Totally caught me. I combined the 12 days of xmas w/ Hanukah. Sorry about that everyone. :rolleyes:

As for what I'm asking for for the holidays, I need new hiking poles (mine are wandering around central CA on a greyhound somewhere... sigh), the GG Vapor Trail, a JRB underquilt, and a Big Sky Evolution 1P tent... doubt I'll get any of that though, unless I buy it for myself.

QHShowoman
11-08-2005, 12:34
Just teasing ya', Ender. I just started working part-time at a big outdoor good retailer (hint: its a co-op) and I have a feeling most of my family members are going to be receiving gifts from it this year.

Footslogger
11-08-2005, 12:49
My wife at my side.
The knowledge that my kids are happy and healthy.
Only good news on CNN and the local newspaper.
A warm fire in the fireplace.
A coin or two in my pocket.

Anything else is icing on the cake ...

'Slogger

Seeker
11-08-2005, 13:25
Peace.ok, now back to reality... a JRB underquilt.

Gray Blazer
11-08-2005, 13:35

Don't you remember? LW is a blind, jewish cripple from Africa.

Marta
11-08-2005, 13:36
A really small digital camera.

justusryans
11-08-2005, 13:46
My wife at my side.
The knowledge that my kids are happy and healthy.
Only good news on CNN and the local newspaper.
A warm fire in the fireplace.
A coin or two in my pocket.

Anything else is icing on the cake ...

'Slogger

There's a man who has his priorities right!

Whistler
11-08-2005, 13:49
Mostly, just some peace and quiet. We work all year and then "treat" ourselves to manic shopping, spending, planning, cooking, and gorging-->poorer, exhausted, and fatter. :datz

I'm considering just not participating in the month of December. Can anyone recommend a good pack [pulk?] for a 31-day monster load? :)
-Mark

Sleepy the Arab
11-08-2005, 22:49
Dear Santa,

For Christmas I would like four thousand dollars, the seven months from March to October of 2006, and new soles for my Limmers.

~S.T.A.

TJ aka Teej
11-09-2005, 00:15
After peace, health, and happiness - 200 forested acres adjacent to the AT corridor in Maine.

Red Hat
11-09-2005, 12:03
A Western Mountaineering bag. I can't afford the $300+ for a new one, so I was shopping Ebay. Some guy had one listed as "New", but he had used it for a couple of nights. Where I come from you can't advertise something as new if it has been used....but apparently it's okay on Ebay. Anyway, his reserve was nearly $300! I quit bidding at $175... He relisted it this week when it didn't sell.

lobster
11-09-2005, 12:17
A Thai woman who will live in my house and cook and give me massages.

Plus, go hiking with me.

the goat
11-09-2005, 12:36
After peace, health, and happiness - 200 forested acres adjacent to the AT corridor in Maine.

in the event that TJ gets a lump of coal this year, i would like his gift.

The Will
11-09-2005, 14:43
A letter of acceptance into medical school.

fiddlehead
11-09-2005, 17:16
A Thai woman who will live in my house and cook and give me massages.

Plus, go hiking with me.

Hiking would most probably be the hardest part of that wish. Thai women don't like to be in the sun. (But then the AT doesn't have much of that, does it? ) They would rather stay home and "TAKE CARE" of everything. but to find one that hikes too? I'm sure there out there but you'd need to go to Thailand to find all of the above.

littlelaurel59
11-09-2005, 19:48
The fine folks on this web site have taught me that the necessities of life weigh less than 20 pounds.

My youngest pediatric patients have taught me that a clean bottom, a full tummy, and someone who loves me is sufficient.

If the world could figure that out, perhaps we would have "Peace on Earth."

What do I want for Christmas? Time enough to enjoy the above.

JOY!!!

Jack Tarlin
11-09-2005, 19:57
What do I want for Christmas?

Rock said it best: "Peace on Earth."

But failing that, I could use new Lekis; some outerwear not riddled with burnholes from campfires; Springsteen tickets; some decent closers for the Red Sox; a diet plan that doesn't involve cottage cheese; a knee surgeon who works for free; and a compatible hiking partner for next year.

Preferably Ann Coulter.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2005, 20:39
Ann Coulter? Bitch needs to eat! Physically skinny, mentally fat. :cool:

justusryans
11-09-2005, 20:42
Lol :d :d :d