PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a backpacker and you want everyone else to know when........

Different Socks
04-09-2015, 00:13
Nuff said!!30503

rickb
04-09-2015, 07:10
I love the stickers!

Do you ever get like-minded strangers shouting their approval out the window?

A month or two ago, I pulled up behind a car at a traffic light down in CT with plates that read "ATHKER" or something very close to that.

What at the heck is was I supposed to do?

Honk? Do nothing?

My driver's side window is broken so a simple tap of the horn and thumbs up  was not an option, so I ended up opening the door an poking my head and shoulders out and shouting something like "AT SOBO in 1983".

The driver with the vanity plates rolled down the window and yell back Northbound '96 (I think) and then got the heck out of there -- as well he should have-- especially if he had not yet fully digested why this big excited stranger  had interrupted his day along the roadway.

Some years ago I put one of the ovals with 2187 (not sure the exact number -- it did not match the 2143 I really wanted) but not a single person has ever made note of it. If anyone passes a small black car on route 495 with one, be sure to flash your lights -- or something.

Do get anything as you drive along?

garlic08
04-09-2015, 08:16
Do you ever get like-minded strangers shouting their approval out the window?

We have the triple crown stickers on our car. We got a congratulatory note on the windshield at a trailhead once. Another time in stop and go traffic, I passed a car with an AT sticker, then a few minutes later he passed me and we smiled and waved at each other. My wife gets a few nods, too. But no, not very often.

Old Hiker
04-09-2015, 08:44
I have several stickers on my back window, AT related, gear companies and gear web sites. I've had people yell at me and we've talked at lights. I (briefly) met a couple who go up every summer for a month to maintain.

The "Hike Your Own Hike" sticker also stands out ! (Sailing Faith?) Thanks, again !

Tipi Walter
04-09-2015, 08:56
It's ironic to have hiking and backpacking stickers on a motorcycle. Roaring harleys and screaming Jap bikes are the bane of the Southeastern forests where I hike and backpack. So-called "custom" mufflers ruin the outdoor experience from the Shenandoah Skyline Drive down to the Smokies on Rd 441 and the Dragon's Anus on hiway 129 and the nonstop roars on the Cherohala Skyway. Just my opinion.

Different Socks
04-09-2015, 11:19
Met a hiker at a rest stop in Colorado one year and he saw my AT sticker. We talked for awhile and ended getting a room for the night. Last year I was at Glacier and was staying at an AYH. Another hiker recognized my North Country Scenic Trail shirt and asked if I had hiked any of it. I was shocked that someone way out west even knew what the trail was, much less that they knew it existed.
Others have stopped to loom at my stickers and said they have hiked this trail or that trail. They are always a great conversation starter.

Different Socks
04-09-2015, 11:22
It's ironic to have hiking and backpacking stickers on a motorcycle. Roaring harleys and screaming Jap bikes are the bane of the Southeastern forests where I hike and backpack. So-called "custom" mufflers ruin the outdoor experience from the Shenandoah Skyline Drive down to the Smokies on Rd 441 and the Dragon's Anus on hiway 129 and the nonstop roars on the Cherohala Skyway. Just my opinion.

I use the trailer/cycle b/c it is better on gas mileage than my car. Cost of gas to Glacier round trip--$90. On my cycle--maybe as high as $25!!

q-tip
04-09-2015, 11:47
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/asset.php?fid=27641&uid=20935&d=1428594354

Maybe a little over the top.......

RangerZ
04-09-2015, 12:00
30506 I'm still an AT poser, though.

Seatbelt
04-09-2015, 12:46
the Dragon's Anus on hiway 129 .
I'll have to admit that I agree with this assessment. LOL I almost got run over several times while driving to Fontana.
I also have few AT stickers on my truck and once at a Sat morning yard sale some guy comes running up the driveway yelling "whose truck is parked over here with the AT stickers on the window?" Thinking I had parked illegally or something, I spoke up only to find that he was an AT section-hiker as well. Made a new friend! Seatbelt.

Hangfire
04-09-2015, 15:30
Although I still don't consider myself a backpacker I had to put the 2185.3 sticker on my bumper just to mess with all of the 13.1 and 26.2 sticker people. I doubt that anyone gets it, I have never been asked about it, i'm sure people think it's some ham radio number or something.

pafarmboy
04-09-2015, 19:30

How about limiting the racist remarks when posting your opinion.

Sarcasm the elf
04-09-2015, 19:35

I'm fairly certain he was just abbreviating the country of manufacture.

Sarcasm the elf
04-09-2015, 19:41
Nuff said!!30503

I have several on my car, but this one is my favorite:

mrcoffeect
04-09-2015, 19:52
Thats not racist. Tipi was promoting hate equally for both kinds of bikes.

pafarmboy
04-09-2015, 19:57
I'm fairly certain he was just abbreviating the country of manufacture.

Abbreviation or not, I'm absolutely certain it's still a racist remark.

pafarmboy
04-09-2015, 20:07
Thats not racist. Tipi was promoting hate equally for both kinds of bikes.

It's sad that two have "defended" Tipi but none have commented on the validity of my statement. I'm done posting on this, I've made my point.

mrcoffeect
04-09-2015, 20:09
How does rice rocket suit ya?

Lone Wolf
04-09-2015, 20:09
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

mrcoffeect
04-09-2015, 20:14
It's sad that two have "defended" Tipi but none have commented on the validity of my statement. I'm done posting on this, I've made my point.

whats your point, That some people's undies are knotted so tight they cant think straight

egilbe
04-09-2015, 20:42

My German car built in Mexico with the only stickers I have on it, other then the WMNF parking permit