PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a tent

damskipi
04-09-2015, 00:35
My tax return is burning a hole in my pocket and I want to buy a new tent. I'm going back and forth between weight in my pack and comfort in camp. It will be myself and my 65-lb dog most of the time, but I want room for another person if I can convince a friend to go with me. No thru hikes anytime soon, just looking at 1-5 night trips for the next few years.

My two primary thoughts are the BA Angel Springs UL3 or a Zpacks Triplex. Completely different tents, I know. Money is not a huge issue, so it's more about the benefits of each tent.

For the Angel Springs, I love the size, ease of use, breathability, and the traditional tent-ness of it. I am not such a fan of the weight, although for this type of tent it's really not bad.

For the Triplex, the weight is obviously a HUGE benefit. The big drawback for me is I am not wild about a see-thru tent (I hate the camo) and I am more worried about the material - I've never used cuben fiber before and I don't want to destroy the thing because I missed seeing a stick on the ground.

Thoughts?

Ercoupe
04-09-2015, 06:17
I ve a hexamid with a mesh floor. Fabric is tough, mesh should be handled with care. Overall very pleased with the fabric. Not really see thru. Quick drying. The Triplex will have a large footprint, finding good spots will be challenging in the mountains.

I always grab my lightest tent, unless I am car Camping.

4shot
04-09-2015, 07:30
I am going through the same process (tent searching) myself. I am not considering a CF tent. One major issue for my wife and I that has ruled out the BA tent you mention is the single door (especially one on the side). We may consider a front single door. The thought of performing gymnastics to make the inevitable nightime bathroom trips is not appealing. 2 doors and vestibules are much more convenient (although there is a sacrifice in weight).

Jedeye
04-09-2015, 11:39
May want to check out the Mountain Laurel Designs DUOMID (or DUO XL) with the InnerNet. I used the SOLOMID on the CT and a little on the AT and it preformed amazing. I just had the silnylon version, but I would go with the cuben if I had the extra cash.

q-tip
04-09-2015, 11:53
You might look at TarpTent Double Rainbow or Stratospire 2. Both spacious and under 3 lbs.

http://www.tarptent.com/index.html

OCDave
04-09-2015, 12:35
The Quest Preying Mantis. Arguably the most innovative tent on the market in 1994, the Preying Mantis would give you instant "Old School" credibility. At only 6 lbs, it is one of the lightest, 20 year, 2-person tents available. Of course the Preying Mantis is exceedingly rare; many of today's hikers have never seen one in the wild. However, I know a guy who has one preserved in a special gear vault in Minnesota. I am confident that for the right price and at least 3 personal references, you might be able to persuade him to part with it.

You could be one of thousands or...you could be the only hiker on the entire trail with a Qwest Preying Mantis.

bigcranky
04-09-2015, 12:46
The Zpacks fabric isn't really see-through.

One thing to consider is whether your dog will shred the floor or mesh walls. I think Zpacks can use a heavier cuben on the floor.

Old Hiker
04-09-2015, 14:44
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-duo-tents

No personal experience with THIS tent, but I have a SoLong 6 and love it. I can fit myself (6’2”) and my wife (5’2”) into my SoLong with no problems.

A dog I would wonder about in ANY tent, esp. a 65-pound one. The SoLong has two HUGE vestibules, though.

Drybones
04-09-2015, 15:47
I used a Tarptent Double Rainbow when my dog and wife were hiking with me. The wife made me get a 3-person tent after the 108 lb doberman laid on her one night...she's a wimp, plenty of room in the tent though. Since neither wife or dog hike with me now I need to sell the tent.

damskipi
04-10-2015, 00:12
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm not sure some of these will be big enough for myself, a friend, and my dog, but I'll do some research. The Lightheart Duo is a strong contender at the moment. I don't know why I didn't think about it before. Good to know about the opaqueness of Zpacks CF, too. The pictures on the site had me scared!

The Splitter
04-10-2015, 14:16
I can't comment on your tent but I have a MSR Hubba Hubba 2 person and love it. It fits my girlfriend and I both comfortably, and has dual entry so you don't have to climb over each other in the night to get out to pee. I would honestly consider the same tent even if I was backpacking solo as it would offer ample space for me and my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walkintom
04-10-2015, 14:23
I'd probably be using a tarp with a 65 pound dog along. I'd be too worried about the tent floor and penning up the dog smell. Penning up my own smell can be bad enough.

fizz3499
04-10-2015, 18:09
We just bought an angel springs ul3 ad are happy with our purchase, It's room and comfortable. If you decide to buy one set it up first because we got the hub system backwards

fizz3499
04-10-2015, 18:10
PS we have a German shepherd and he can fit in the tent with us or sleep in the vestibule.

Vthiker77
04-15-2015, 19:41
Stratospire 2. Cut a piece of a thermarest ridgerest and there's plenty of room in the tent or the vestibules, they're huge!

saltysack
04-19-2015, 15:21
http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-duo-tents

No personal experience with THIS tent, but I have a SoLong 6 and love it. I can fit myself (6’2”) and my wife (5’2”) into my SoLong with no problems.

A dog I would wonder about in ANY tent, esp. a 65-pound one. The SoLong has two HUGE vestibules, though.

+1 solong6...I'm 5'11"@215lbs , my 9 yr old son @60lbs and my 20 lb Jack Russell fit nicely...only 2lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traveler
04-20-2015, 06:38
BA Copper Spur UL II is large enough for what you are looking for and would provide room for the occasional tent-mate (depending how much you fill it up with or without the dog). Doors on both sides add to the vestibule areas and make the tent super easy to get in and out of. It's a little pricey, but if money is not a concern, the weight is about 3.2 lbs give or take with everything. Its legitimately free standing, easy to set up in heavy weather, dries out fast, no problems with condensation.

Lyle
04-20-2015, 08:08
I love my ZPacks Hexamid Plus. Fabric is not an issue as long as you treat it like other very light weight gear. A modicum of care goes a long way.

CalebJ
04-20-2015, 09:32
The Quest Preying Mantis. Arguably the most innovative tent on the market in 1994, the Preying Mantis would give you instant "Old School" credibility. At only 6 lbs, it is one of the lightest, 20 year, 2-person tents available. Of course the Preying Mantis is exceedingly rare; many of today's hikers have never seen one in the wild. However, I know a guy who has one preserved in a special gear vault in Minnesota. I am confident that for the right price and at least 3 personal references, you might be able to persuade him to part with it.

You could be one of thousands or...you could be the only hiker on the entire trail with a Qwest Preying Mantis.
I actually missed out on buying a 4 season Preying Mantis a month or so ago. Appeared to have never been used, and went for $50 at a yard sale. I had absolutely no use for it, or I would have committed more quickly. Somebody picked it up while I was deciding.

Namtrag
04-27-2015, 21:26
Another vote for the Stratospire 2. We can fit 2 people and both our packs inside the tent, and are still comfortable. The vestibules are so large, I have to crawl partially out to reach the zipper when I go to open up in the morning.

Rex Clifton
04-29-2015, 20:46
Screw the tent, get a hammock. You'll never go back.

Deacon
04-30-2015, 05:31
Screw the tent, get a hammock. You'll never go back.

I did. Hammocks have very nice features but for me are too confining. I get claustrophobic in them. I like room to sprawl.
I will say I'm fortunate not to have back issues.

Rex Clifton
04-30-2015, 14:06
I understand Deacon. Actually, I use a tent quite a bit too, when I go with my dogs. If you are going solo, I highly recommend the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. It weighs in at around 2.5 lbs and is a great tent design. Surprisingly stable in high winds.

damskipi
04-30-2015, 15:01
I'm actually looking at hammocks right now, for when I am solo. The tent I'm looking to buy would be for at least myself and my dog, maybe another adult. Thanks though!