PDA

View Full Version : Just getting into this, need some help...

Boo8meR
11-07-2005, 22:28
I've done a lot of backpacking/camping during my life, but I'm planning on thru hiking the AT in '08. It'll be easier for me that way because of school. Most of my gear is becoming obsolete, so I was wondering if someone could give me a basic checklist of what I should try to get between now and then. I'm wondering about it now because I plan on aquiring the gear over the next 2 years on a limited budget as a college student.

Thanks in advance...

Boomer

jackiebolen
11-07-2005, 22:37
Gear advances happen so rapidly and your knowledge will increase rapidly so I would say wait until 6 months or so before you go on a hike to buy your gear for the hike. Just use what you have for now and do a lot more research before spending money.

Life changes as well in 3 years, so you might decide not to go hiking and have all this gear that you don't really need.

hammock engineer
11-07-2005, 22:38
Check out the home made gear threads. There is also a good link on Rock's site about the $300 gear challange. I bought a few things, but I think I am going to make an stove, sleeping quilt, and under quilt to save money.

Just Jeff
11-07-2005, 22:41
There are some "Packing List Basics" threads in the Articles section of this website.

Boo8meR
11-07-2005, 22:45
I appreciate the help.

Jackie, this is something that I've really thought about lately. I had a recent life changing event, and I will hike the AT. I know it's still a good while from now, but, as a college kid, I won't be able to get it all in six months. I camp and hike a lot now, and I need to upgrade my stuff for a trip like that. I don't see myself quitting within the near future. Thanks for the input though, it's always good to have several perspectives thrown at me.

SGT Rock
11-07-2005, 23:13
Here you go: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=132311&postcount=1

Boo8meR
11-07-2005, 23:15
Very informative, Thank you.

MedicineMan
11-07-2005, 23:16
I've done a lot of backpacking/camping during my life, but I'm planning on thru hiking the AT in '08. It'll be easier for me that way because of school. Most of my gear is becoming obsolete, so I was wondering if someone could give me a basic checklist of what I should try to get between now and then. I'm wondering about it now because I plan on aquiring the gear over the next 2 years on a limited budget as a college student.

Thanks in advance...

Boomer

Gear is rarely obsolete, since you have much time to research hiking why not research the history of the trail too and especially the early thru hikers. When you do you'll see names like Grandma Gatewood whose shower curtain and potatoe sack will hardly ever become obsolete.

MorrisseyFan
11-08-2005, 00:02
I have to agree with Boo8mer about buying now for a trip in 2008. The equipment I have right now is perfect for a weekend trip to a local State Park, but not much else. I'm going to be taking a week off work in 2006 and a week off work in 2007 for section hikes to get a feel for the trial; otherwise, I'll be doing weekend hikes in and around the Memphis, Tennessee, area. I want to buy my stuff now so that I have the time to really learn how to use it, newer techologies be darned!

Boo8meR
11-08-2005, 00:19
medicineman, I understand what you mean by that. I guess I may have caused a little confusion when I said obsolete. What I mean is that I have perfect gear for the types of hikes that I've done, but I don't think the stuff would hold up for 6 months. Also, it's all a little heavy compared to what's on the market today, and I'd like to have every advantage when trying to accomplish this task.