PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox

MichaelRedBeard
04-09-2015, 12:02
Hello Everyone,

I signed up for a dropbox account so that I could have a place to store my photos and videos as my Iphone 5s runs out of space while on the trail (stupid me, I bought one with only 16GB rather than 32 or 64 GB). To my dismay I found out that the accounts only come with 2GB of storage otherwise I could pay $10 a month for 1 TB. 1 TB is crazy! Plus I am pretty sure you have to pay for a year subscription for 1 TB. And if you don't, I didn't want to have it on my mind to be sure to pay the bill each month so I don't lost all of the stuff I stored on the site. Long story short, I did find out that if I refer people I could get 500MB for each person I refer and snag myself 16GB of additional storage. This would be absolutely perfect for my needs. Initially, and I hate to admit this, I was going to refer secondary email addresses that I have and just keep installing, uninstalling, and reinstalling the program over and over again on my computer so I could get the extra free space and pretend as though I was referring people. However, I prayed on it and the Holy Spirit called me out and said I was a fool for trying to be so deceptive. Therefore, brothers and sisters, I ask if you can help me do things the right and allow me to refer you so that I can get my extra space. What would be required is your email address so I could refer you personally. You would have to download the program onto your computer. Sign in. If at that point you did not think that this program was useful to you, uninstall it. If you could assist me, I'd be greatly appreciative. I know I'm not on the trail yet, but I figured I'd start practicing my Yogi skills and see if I could encourage some trail magic out of ya'll. Thank you and God Bless.

colorado_rob
04-09-2015, 12:04
Why not just get a Flickr account which has 1TB for free? Seems simpler. Flickr takes just a little bit to get used to, but seems to work fine once you get past the short learning curve. Just a thought.

Rolls Kanardly
04-09-2015, 12:14
So you want us to sign in to get you some points knowing that we are going to refuse the service.
Does not seem much different than what you were thinking of doing.
Rolls

chall
04-09-2015, 12:31
Since you have an iPhone, why not utilize iCloud? It's already integrated into your phone, and the pricing is much easier on the wallet. 200 GB for $3.99/month: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201238

jackwagon
04-09-2015, 12:43
Or Google Drive - 15GB free, and if you need more, 100GB is only 1.99 per month, no contract. See https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2375123?hl=en
There are Google Drive apps for almost all devices.

Walkintom
04-09-2015, 12:47
Microsoft OneDrive also comes with 15GB free. Instead of looking for more storage in one place, you could always fill up one service and then move on to another. This should allow you to have plenty of space without the ethical dilemmas mentioned prior.

Jedeye
04-09-2015, 14:49
And I thought this thread was going to be about shipping to USPS, lol. I also reccomend flickr.

Inspector
04-09-2015, 15:20
I use Flickr for all my pix. I currently have over 15K on there and have barely touched my 1TB.

Traveler
04-09-2015, 17:07
I use Dropbox for business and find it invaluable. If others have been assigned access, they can download whatever photos you send up and keep the system empty. You shouldn't need more than the minimum. If you sign up, then get a few others to as well, you get some additional space.

No cost, just some time spent by another party downloading your files and storing them on a hard drive somewhere.

Gyrene4Life
04-10-2015, 14:06
I use Mega for everything... its 50gb right off the bat for free.

Easy to use app and desktop site. Plus its all encrypted for all the tin-foil-hat folks.

Kevin108
04-10-2015, 19:09
http://lifehacker.com/5796318/the-cheapskates-guide-to-getting-free-dropbox-space

Kevin108
04-10-2015, 19:11
Also install Carousel when prompted. I have nearly 10 GB.

Snowleopard
04-10-2015, 19:25
I've read good things about google drive storage, but I haven't used it. https://www.google.com/drive/ I use dropbox for backup.

Kevin108, thanks for the dropbox hints. It looks like uploading photos by carousel gives you and extra 3GB of dropbox space.
https://carousel.dropbox.com/

Out of paranoia, whenever you get the chance, make a backup of the files/photos to another device (portable usb harddrive) or have somebody copy them to a home computer.

bigphoto
04-10-2015, 20:53
FYI, In order to get credit on Dropbox from referrals, I believe your referrals actually have to sign up, install, and then sign in to Dropbox on their machine. https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/54

Of the big 3 services (Dropbox, Drive, and Onedrive) I find Dropbox to be the most friendly of the services. But you can also roll your own Dropbox-like service using Bittorrent Sync, giving you unlimited and secure storage across all your devices.

jbo
04-12-2015, 14:22
If you have amazon prime you have unlimited photo storage

Starchild
04-12-2015, 15:51
I would not say the Holy Spirit is laying a guilt trip on you, as guilt is not of God, Love is of God, but God may be trying to make things easier, as there are better alternatives that are easier and turning to caring hearts in the hiking community seems to be providing a answer, not the one you asked for, but perhaps a better one.

I recently switched from Dropbox to Google's g-drive for my iPhone photo's. I did this because my dropbox (somewhat expanded to 5-6 gb's due to offers and referrals) was filling up (I use it for other things), and my photo's are too large to store them on the iCloud along with the needed backup.

But the most important reason for going with g-drive (or whatever they call it), was they allow me to store full sized photo's (before this they compressed them), up to 15gb's worth (and unlimited compressed photo's).

I must say I am impressed with the g-drive, it does unexpected fun and quirky things. It will find and stitch together photo's to make a panoramic shot. Will also combine photo's that are of the same thing to make a animated, or time lapse sequence. It will also order your photo's given it's location and time, something like Starchild's visit to Arazonia and make a 'vacation album'. They do this separate from the originals & I do believe you can turn those off, but they are fun to find and see.

Good Luck