PDA

View Full Version : Lightheart Gear Solo Question

Pitt Hiker
04-09-2015, 15:31
Hi Everyone-

First time poster here. After a lot of research, and a few answered questions from Judy @Lightheart Gear (thank you!), I have narrowed down my tent search to the Lighthearted Gear Solo. I'm very excited to make the purchase but I am tossing between the traditional solo and the solo with the awning.

The awning adds 3 oz to the weight and I do not plan on taking a specific awning pole with me on AT section hikes, would the awning be worth my while for use with sticks/trees?

Thanks!

-Polaris

chall
04-09-2015, 15:53
I have the Solong 6, which comes standard. I really like the awning. In non-blustery rain storms, you can leave that bad boy up and not worry about getting any rain in your tent. I don't have a pole for it either; just pick up a stick and rig it. It's also convenient to duck under the awning to get in the tent rather than having to unzip and re-zip the fly every time. Definitely not a big deal, but a small perk.

xokie
04-09-2015, 17:15
For 3 oz. take the awning, leave the cannoli. The perfect stick is laying there, just waiting to be put to good use.

pafarmboy
04-09-2015, 19:24
I've had mine for several years, and I have the awning. It's easily worth the added weight. But....after several years of use, I'm almost at the point where I'm willing to buy the pole too. Every time I'm trying to find a stick, grind it into the ground w/o breaking, or find rocks to prop it up with, I'm wondering why I'm so freaking cheap/gram weenied about a $30/one ounce pole. I should buy one right now.......you should do the same.

Slosteppin
04-09-2015, 20:43
I bought the awning pole when I bought the tent. A very few times I've been able to tie the awning to a small tree or bush without using the pole. It is mostly just too easy to use the pole. I find the side of the awning away from the door a good place for my stove, fuel and Platy bladders at night.

brancher
04-10-2015, 06:56
I hve a Solong 6 with awning and I bought the little carbon pole with it. Get the awning and pole! For me, the extra few grams for the pole is inconsequential, and it sure works perfectly every time! So given the weight and the fact that you will never have to search for a stick, cut it to length, whittle the end, etc, etc, it's worth it to me. Plus, the awning is a great asset for protection, sitting around, etc.

My Solong came with an awning stock - but I think it's the greatest invention since night baseball and refrigerator magnets. ;)

Venchka
04-10-2015, 08:02
I too am in the market for a weather tight tent lighter than my current 4 pound bomb shelter. I appreciate this discussion.
Buy the awning. Buy the pole. You may find yourself in a place like this. The CDT in Wyoming's Great Divide Basin. Can you find a stick? :D :cool:

Cheers!

Wayne

Old Hiker
04-10-2015, 08:08
I too am in the market for a weather tight tent lighter than my current 4 pound bomb shelter. I appreciate this discussion.
Buy the awning. Buy the pole. You may find yourself in a place like this. The CDT in Wyoming's Great Divide Basin. Can you find a stick? :D :cool:

Cheers!

Wayne

I see one, I see one !!!!!!!! What did I win?

I have the SoLong 6, awning and pole. Well worth it

twistwrist
04-10-2015, 08:40
I have a Lightheart Solo with no awning. I haven't wished for one yet, but I am still relatively new.

rocketsocks
04-10-2015, 11:25

Cheers!

WayneThat's a Butte. :D

saltysack
04-19-2015, 15:34
Solong6....love the awning...I had an Easton kilo before which I broke one of the cf poles. They replaced both so I had extra 1 sitting around...saved $30.....same length and wt...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk