PDA

View Full Version : Freeman Trail, Georgia

ChrisJackson
04-09-2015, 15:37
Tentatively planning to park at Byron Memorial Reece trailhead tomorrow after work (provided I can make good time) and getting in roughly 25-ish miles or so over the weekend using the AT, DRT, and Coosa Backcountry.

Would prefer not to sleep in the car Friday night…and am thinking about hiking up to the AT on the Byron Memorial Reece Trail, crossing the AT and continuing on to the Freeman Trail for a bit and camp. Is this crazy/legal/unwise?

Haven’t found anything that would suggest it’s not a good idea, but also haven’t found any references regarding camping at all on the short Freeman Trail.

Not interested in the Blood Mountain Cabins or the hostel at Neels Gap or anything like that…definitely want to camp.

THX!

FatMan
04-09-2015, 17:08
There is a campsite where the Reece Trail, AT, and Freeman Trail meet. But you will need a bear canister as it is in the restricted zone. There is no place to camp on the Freeman Trail that I recall. Pretty much all very rocky side hill trail. There is a campsite at Bird Gap where the Freeman Trail ends at the AT but same deal with the bear canister.

ChrisJackson
04-09-2015, 17:16
Thank you for the information! Will use my canister! I didn't think about that, glad you mentioned it. -C