PDA

View Full Version : where is the bubble?

AtWokman
04-09-2015, 18:55
Where is the nobo bubble (s)? Im Planning some trail magic at the end of the month.

MuddyWaters
04-09-2015, 19:31
Im not on trail, so i cant say for sure.
I will speculate it stretches from Springer to Damascus currently, with the majority centered around the GSMNP .

By end of month erwin to damascus should be busy

map man
04-09-2015, 21:42
Look at Table 3 in this article:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/44

At the end of April the heart of the completing NOBO bubble is traditionally in Damascus, but you will find a lot of thru-hikers all the way from Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Daleville VA.

full conditions
04-10-2015, 06:46
I was at NOC yesterday afternoon and counted about 25 - the hostel was full and the campsite had about eight tents set up. One guy told me that Rufus Morgan Shelter (less than a mile from NOC) was full with several tents set up nearby. Probably not the middle of the bubble, but not the tail end either.

Studlintsean
04-10-2015, 08:24
My brother is thru hiking and is currently in the Roan Highlands area.

hikernutcasey
04-10-2015, 08:52
I'm following a few journals and most are in or through the Smokys by now. I would guess the greatest concentration would be around Roan to Damascus but that's just an educated guess.

SteelCut
04-10-2015, 11:13
I'm following a few journals and most are in or through the Smokys by now. I would guess the greatest concentration would be around Roan to Damascus but that's just an educated guess.

Early this week, I did SOBO section hike from Watagua Lake to 19E (Elk Park, NC / Roan Mountain, TN). Over the 3 days, I passed approximately 50-60 NOBOs and a few section hikers. This doesn't count those that those that on Tuesday were sitting out the bad weather at Kincora or Black Bear hostels.

But, the folks at Mountain Harbour said that they haven't been very busy yet ... only whenever the weather gets bad they fill up with those seeking to get out of the weather. Everyone keeps telling them the bubble is approaching but they say they haven't seen it.

So, I would still suspect that the peak bubble is still further south.

TOW
04-10-2015, 11:54
Im not on trail, so i cant say for sure.
I will speculate it stretches from Springer to Damascus currently, with the majority centered around the GSMNP .

By end of month erwin to damascus should be busy
yep....................

Wokman
04-14-2015, 19:35
Heading toward carvers gapish area

2NewKnees
04-14-2015, 21:11
According to the pictures from the sidewalk at the NOC, they are coming through there now and heading into the Smokies. There was a cool picture today of a row of probably 15 packs outside the outfitter in Wesser. I've seen a few in Franklin at the outfitter (76) as well. Real cool place to grab gear and a beer! Wherever they are now, they are wet. Been raining off and on so far this week.