PDA

View Full Version : Looking for External Battery to charge my iPhone 5s

hawkhero
04-10-2015, 07:58
What are hikers using now to charge their phones on the trail? Like something to get a few full charges on the phone.

Dochartaigh
04-10-2015, 09:31
You've probably looking at a 5-7,000mah USB battery pack. Take your pick off the well-reviewed ones on Amazon.

The size of the battery pack you choose can be influenced by your exact phone though. Some phones have little 700mah batteries, others (mainly the larger smart phones) can have 2,000+ mah. And just so you know, a 2100mah battery pack won't charge your 700mah phone 3x times – much less than that in reality (basically because of the current lost in converting the batteries 3.7 volts up to the 5 volts USB has to put out to charge a phone).

tnfilmmaker
04-10-2015, 10:50
I ordered Anker[emoji768] 2nd Gen Astro E5 16000mAh Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with PowerIQ[emoji769] Technology 2-Port 3A for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5C 5 4S, iPad Air, mini etc. Will charge my iPhone6 8x before needing to recharge the battery itself. It is slightly heavier than I wanted but to each their own. It was $39 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christoph
04-10-2015, 10:55
I just ordered the Anker 10000 from amazon. It was a lot cheaper than I thought so I'd say just go with the highest rated milliamps for what price range you're looking for. Seems the Anker brand has good reviews. I'm sure there others tho.

kayak karl
04-10-2015, 12:05
i like the Newtrends

Walkintom
04-10-2015, 12:16
I also use Newtrent battery backups.

I replaced the one I had been using for 6 years with a new one back in the Fall and the new one has a different charge setup than the original, but I've grown to like it. My old one had a dedicated charging cord. Which meant I had to carry that cord, just for charging the battery pack. the bonus to this situation was that upon rolling into town with a nearly dead phone and battery pack I could plug the battery pack up to an outlet and the phone up to the battery pack and charge them both at once - took about 10% longer than just charging the battery pack. The new one charges off a micro usb port which also happens to be the same port I charge my phone with. So I can carry a usb plug and a tiny cord and charge either the battery pack or the phone when at an outlet. I always have the option to carry a 2nd cord and charge both at once but I've found that the time matters less than the weight in this particular instance - to me.

So, that's the one thing I'd add to the disucssion - look at how the battery pack charges. You may be able to do double duty for your phone if the ports are the same.

2000miler
04-10-2015, 12:39
I've got the 5S as well, and I picked up the TeckNet iEP1000 10000mAh Portable Charger from Amazon.

The Splitter
04-10-2015, 14:50
I also use Newtrent battery backups.

I replaced the one I had been using for 6 years with a new one back in the Fall and the new one has a different charge setup than the original, but I've grown to like it. My old one had a dedicated charging cord. Which meant I had to carry that cord, just for charging the battery pack. the bonus to this situation was that upon rolling into town with a nearly dead phone and battery pack I could plug the battery pack up to an outlet and the phone up to the battery pack and charge them both at once - took about 10% longer than just charging the battery pack. The new one charges off a micro usb port which also happens to be the same port I charge my phone with. So I can carry a usb plug and a tiny cord and charge either the battery pack or the phone when at an outlet. I always have the option to carry a 2nd cord and charge both at once but I've found that the time matters less than the weight in this particular instance - to me.

So, that's the one thing I'd add to the disucssion - look at how the battery pack charges. You may be able to do double duty for your phone if the ports are the same.

That New Trent looks very nice, but good God is it expensive. I suppose you get what you pay for though. I'd love to get one one day. I may have to settle for one of the cheaper ones in the mean time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RebeccaFarrali
02-04-2016, 00:57
Thanks for the information there Tom on using a New Trent battery pack. I've been having countless issues with what I'm currently using (Energizer), and was getting beyond frustrated with trying to find something reliable. Maybe I've just had bad luck?

By getting a New Trent though, it seems like it'll not only be reliable, but it'll also be that much more convenient for charging in various locations - it sounds like a win/win to me!