PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing and Silicone question

Sheriff Cougar
04-10-2015, 14:26
I have a tarptent that requires seam sealing. The instructions say to use GE Silicone II mixed with mineral spirits or use a seam sealing product. My question is will other silicones work such as 'Permatex clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant 66B' or 'GE Translucent RTV 108 Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant'? Does anyone have any experience using other silicone products with success for seam sealing?

Walkintom
04-10-2015, 14:38
Make sure the ingredients are just silicone. The GE silicone II is just clear silicone and it works great so any other brand should be fine as long as the composition is similar.

rhjanes
04-10-2015, 15:24
I also pick up, at a hardware store, some "acid brushes" over in the plumbing area. Cheap, throw-away, stiff bristles and work well.

Lyle
04-10-2015, 15:37
For many years I've been using "flowable silicone windshield sealant" available at most any NAPA or other Auto Parts store. Make sure it is silicone and labeled "flowable". Easy to use, no mixing necessary, and cheap. Never had a leak, but I apply both inside and out.

Violent Green
04-10-2015, 20:26
Listen to Lyle. Use the Permatex flowable windshield silicone.

Ryan

Sheriff Cougar
04-10-2015, 21:24
Thanks for the info, folks. I will do as you all instructed.

Slo-go'en
04-10-2015, 23:31
The problem with mixing your own is getting the proportions right. I never could. Don't screw around. Get the proper type of "Seamsealer" TM for your tent material - coated nylon or silnylon. It will stick better and last longer.

WingedMonkey
04-11-2015, 20:43
The instructions say to use GE Silicone II mixed with mineral spirits

Just a suggestion/reminder to anyone with this method to use the odorless mineral spirits.

Sheriff Cougar
04-11-2015, 22:20
Thanks again, for the new posts. Never knew there was such a thing as odorless mineral spirits! Ha.

Don H
04-12-2015, 08:42
I mix my own and use one of these to apply it:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-oz-Grout-Sealer-Applicator-Brush-Bottle-for-Walls-19999X/203714418
Makes an easy, neat job.

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 09:13
I've had no issues getting the mix right when doing this. If you can brush it on without it running, it's thick enough. If it's runny add a little more silicone and stir until it blends evenly. If it's too thick to brush on, add a little mineral spirits and stir until it blends evenly. The 'ok' range is pretty broad here.

The last time I did a seam seal was in the back yard of a hotel with supplies from a hardware store next door and some scavenged stuff like a large cardboard cup to mix in.