PDA

View Full Version : Better Zero Day at either Hot Springs or Erwin

Three Black Labs
04-11-2015, 11:39
Two of us ladies are section hiking from Fontana Dam to Erwin. We are moving our car along north and getting shuttled back south so we can hike north to the car every 3/4 days. Will be having a zero day and can take it either at Hot Springs then drive to Erwin in the morning and get shuttled back to Hot Springs OR spend the Zero Day in Erwin and then in the morning just get shuttled back to Hot Springs.

Where is there more to do - Hot Springs or Erwin? :-?

We plan to possibly stay in rooms at the Laughing Heart Lodge and/or Uncle Johnny's - all thoughts welcomed.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

Enjoy the day...

Walkintom
04-11-2015, 11:44
Hot Springs is a great place to have some down time in the evening.

Schedule a time at the Springs. Get yourself a private tub, take a bottle of wine and enjoy yourself. Worked great for us.

Old Hiker
04-11-2015, 11:47
I had a private room at Uncle Johnny's - shuttle to the Wally, etc. was great. Had no probs.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=374842

Hot Springs was TWO days for me - had foot problems. I was in a motel-type complex - can't remember the name. Where the AT crosses the RR tracks, you turn right and go down about 200 meters or so. Nice and quiet, walking (painfully) distance to the town.

Good luck.

jj2044
04-11-2015, 12:39
Hot Springs..... there is so much more to do, gear store, bars, restaurants . Uncle Johnny's is nice but there isn't a lot to do..... both are good for a relaxing night..... if I could only stay at one it would be Hot Springs

Slo-go'en
04-11-2015, 13:16
Since you have a car, it doesn't really matter. If you were on foot, Hot Springs is better since your in walking distance of all the town has to offer. Uncle Johnnies is a few miles from Erwin proper, so is less convenient for hikers without the shuttle. The evening social life in Hot Springs is better as many hang out at the restaurant/bar.

Malto
04-11-2015, 13:19
Hot spring by far. Everything is right there, likely my favorite AT stop.

Hangfire
04-11-2015, 13:50
Hot Springs for sure, if you are looking for a quiet relaxing place stay with Elmer and try the dinner, you won't be disappointed!

Lone Wolf
04-11-2015, 14:46
hot springs for sure

Starchild
04-11-2015, 16:02
Hot Springs was the best trail town IMHO, and I really enjoyed my stay at Laughing Heart - 2 nights in a private room. The only down side to Laughing Heart was it was a walk to downtown and the hot springs was on the far side, but still very doable. I also had the pleasure of Elmer's another time which is also very nice, the 2 are very different types of stays.

Erwin I stayed at Uncle Jonney's and another time as a car assisted section hiker at the Super 8. Both were fine for the hike and U.J's was great for a thru hiker, but the town itself is not layed out in a hiker friendly mannor, your car would take care of this, however one nice thing about thru hiking and places like Hot Springs is even if you have a car you don't have to sue it.

So for me Hot Springs no question.

putts
04-11-2015, 16:21
Another vote for Hot Springs.. By far..No doubt..I love that town. It has so much character, great live music, great food, beautiful setting, very friendly locals. I recently went back for a couple days just to spend some vacation time there. I've only done the AT from GA to CT and Maine, and Hot Springs is my favorite along with Monson but I have ties to Monson.

wornoutboots
04-11-2015, 17:15
Hot Springs. Much more relaxed environment + everything is in close proximity. Enjoy!

JumpMaster Blaster
04-11-2015, 19:10
Another vote cast for Hot Springs. Eveything is close, good food and bars within walking distance, and Bluff Mountain Outfitters has great food resupply options. Only downside is no real grocery store in town.

norts
04-12-2015, 00:19
Hot Springs - it has the Smoky Mountains Diner. Laughing Heart is very nice, I camped on the lawn. Cleaner thank Uncle Johnnys too.
Hot Springs has a laundromat, bars, outfitter, resupply did I mention the Smoky Mountains Diner!
I thought Hot Springs was one of the best trail towns.

Taz

hayeskw
04-12-2015, 15:04
If you like beer or anything but fast food or BBQ forget about Erwin. Harsh, but I live here so I get to say so. Really, I like living here, but mainly because it's close to the trail and there's some awesome biking around. It's a quiet place.

Donde
04-12-2015, 18:38
Hot Springs no doubt. Better lodging, food, beer, a little wine shop to pick up a bottle for you soak at the Hot Springs themselves.

Erwin will get you your resupply and some 40 cent snickers but that is about it.

chiefiepoo
04-12-2015, 22:25
Hot Springs for me, too. I passed up the hostel as it was packed and took a motel room in a mom and pop place right along the main street. My good fortune was to find a blue grass festival going on in the park by the river. Lots of food choices and great entertainment that was free admission.

TOW
04-13-2015, 06:56
Two of us ladies are section hiking from Fontana Dam to Erwin. We are moving our car along north and getting shuttled back south so we can hike north to the car every 3/4 days. Will be having a zero day and can take it either at Hot Springs then drive to Erwin in the morning and get shuttled back to Hot Springs OR spend the Zero Day in Erwin and then in the morning just get shuttled back to Hot Springs.

Where is there more to do - Hot Springs or Erwin? :-?

We plan to possibly stay in rooms at the Laughing Heart Lodge and/or Uncle Johnny's - all thoughts welcomed.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

Enjoy the day...

Hot Springs hands down..........Erwin has more as far as business wise goes but its just so damn cozy in Hot Sprigs.........................