PDA

View Full Version : antigravitygear.com and pepsi stove

Husko
11-08-2005, 01:12
Hi. I would like to purchase a couple pepsi stoves from antigravitygear.com but I'm a bit concerned about the ordering process. I get the usual security alert when attempting to check out.

I know the problem is that they are not using a certficate athority like verisign or the like, but still, I am very uncomfortable with the idea of sending any information in this way.

Have any of you had experience ordering from this company? Any comments suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

-Husko

Uncle Silly
11-08-2005, 03:53
Have any of you had experience ordering from this company? Any comments suggestions welcome.

I ordered the mapdanas from antigravitygear.com online late last winter, no trouble with the order process or anything else. As far as I can tell, Tin Man runs a tight ship, and deserves his top notch reputation. If you're still concerned (and you certainly have the right to be), look into contacting the company by phone and placing your order that way.

Heater
11-08-2005, 07:43
Hi. I would like to purchase a couple pepsi stoves from antigravitygear.com but I'm a bit concerned about the ordering process. I get the usual security alert when attempting to check out.

I know the problem is that they are not using a certficate athority like verisign or the like, but still, I am very uncomfortable with the idea of sending any information in this way.

Thanks.

-Husko

There is a printable order form (in .PDF format) so you can pay by check or money Order. The link is in the bar at the top of the home page.

shades of blue
11-08-2005, 08:25
I ordered a stove and windscreen from him 2 yrs ago...he updated my windscreen for free before my hike this year. I ordered two silnylon pack covers from him and they work great. I also met him at the Soruck this past January. I can't speak highly enough of my experiences with this company.

(And goat and Fitz think I'm anti business....HA!)

Seriously, good company.

Sly
11-08-2005, 08:41
Tinman is cool, very cool.

If you get *s* after http does it really matter if the website is registered with verisign?

TrailSweeper
11-08-2005, 08:44
I Have had no problems ordering from him.

His Pots Rock!!!!!!!!

Hammock Hanger
11-08-2005, 09:36
I just ordered a couple of things from him online. No problems. My delivery was quick and he even snuck in a little suprise. Good company.

Sue

tlbj6142
11-08-2005, 10:25
The error you are seeing is from a Certificate (used for SSL) name mis-match. The name on the certificate has to match the name of the server you have been directed to prevent the pop-up (along with being a valid cert, validate expiration and valid certificate issuer).

I would bet that Tinman recently changed his shopping cart provider and isn't aware of the pop-up. He should change his URL re-direction from that IP address he is using to the name of the checkout server. That would prevent the pop-up.

c.coyle
11-08-2005, 11:40
I use his stove and several of his pot cozies. George is great to deal with. He won't remember this, but he actually called me before sending me a cozy to make sure it was right for my pot. Plus, he sent me a freebie. :clap

neo
11-08-2005, 11:46
tin man is a great guy,i like the stove i made better,i plan on buying a dehydrator from him soon,i really like his $ 3.00 version of the mini
photon led light,his mapdanna's are really cool to,i like his cook pot's better than the walmart grease pot to:cool: neo

JoeHiker
11-08-2005, 14:02
Another thumbs up for Anti-Gravity Gear. I've bought from them a few times with no problems.

Boo8meR
11-08-2005, 15:04
What do you think of this stove? I want to buy one, but I want to hear what others say about it first.

QHShowoman
11-08-2005, 15:13
I know that Tinkerbell on Trailjournals.com used that stove for her thru and had no complaints. According to her journal, she tried making her own stove and on a test hike, the stove didn't work. She contacted tinman and he rushed a stove to her. If you're handy, you can try making one yourself, but for me, well, the $12 or whatever they charge will probably be cheaper than the woman-hours I'd need to put in to assemble one on my own, not to mention the tools I'd need to dig up or buy.

Boo8meR
11-08-2005, 15:27
I figured it was a good stove, from what I can gather, most of his stuff is really good. How available is the fuel along the trail?

tlbj6142
11-08-2005, 15:37
I figured it was a good stove, from what I can gather, most of his stuff is really good. How available is the fuel along the trail?Its everywhere. Probably more available than white gas.

QHShowoman
11-08-2005, 15:39
From what I have heard (I've not yet done a thru-hike, but have done tons of research) from thru-hikers I've asked, very available. Apparently, even "mom & pop" stores along the way carry denatured alcohol now and will sell it to you by the ounce.

Boo8meR
11-08-2005, 16:01
Good enough for me. Looks like this guy will be using a pepsi stove!

Nightwalker
11-08-2005, 16:06

Thanks.

-Husko
The guy's a good friend of mine. Not only do I personally believe that he'd never cheat anyone, I've never heard a complaint against him. None. Take that for what it's worth, since you don't know me either. But if you ask around, you'll see that George has never even been accused of cheating anyone.

Still, a Thawte cert's only 100 bucks per year and it stops all those questions. It wouldn't be a bad idea. All the issuing authority cert means is that "he paid us 100 dollars, he sent us a fax stating that the business belongs to him and the crc key of the server matches the one that was used the day we issued this certification." The real deal is that you want to see the little lock symbol or the https at the beginning of the address. The rest is just hoo-ha.

How do I know this? I once built an e-commerce website for a company. They needed a Thawte certificate. They did not want to mess with the details. basically I was required to swear in a fax to Thawte that the business belonged to me and that my address was the address of the home of the business, etc., ec., etc. It probably helped that I was the registered contact for the domain. It made it a real mess when I turned the operation of the website over to another developer. I'll never monkey with the cert-owner details like that again, no matter how badly the business owner doesn't want to be bothered!

Anyway, George is a good guy. The sky is not falling. There isn't a snake under every rock. Drink the water.

:)
FrankenLooper the Nightwalker

tlbj6142
11-08-2005, 17:02
Still, a Thawte cert's only 100 bucks per year and it stops all those questions. He has the cert, the URL taking you to the site using the cert is wrong.

neo
11-08-2005, 17:11
What do you think of this stove? I want to buy one, but I want to hear what others say about it first.

i like mine better:cool: neo

firefly
11-08-2005, 21:47
I ordered the complete cookset with the 2 pots..cozies..and the stove with the windscreen about 2 years ago. I love the stove but what I really love is the pots with the cozies. I cook my breakfast in the smaller pot in the cozy every morning and use the larger pot with cozy when I go car camping. The customer service is excellent and the product is outstanding.

Bill Strickland
11-10-2005, 22:43
I used one of their pots on the AT in '04, the lid is still so tight you can pick the whole pot up by it. Jakebrake

SGT Rock
11-10-2005, 23:28
I ordered the complete cookset with the 2 pots..cozies..and the stove with the windscreen about 2 years ago. I love the stove but what I really love is the pots with the cozies. I cook my breakfast in the smaller pot in the cozy every morning and use the larger pot with cozy when I go car camping. The customer service is excellent and the product is outstanding.
And Tin man is a great guy too. There is a reason he does so well.