PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Gear

Wallabee
04-11-2015, 19:11
Hey! I'm looking for some input on waterproof gear that is actually waterproof. Specifically, I was wondering about waterproof boots and jackets/ponchos/pants? Would it be worth my while trying to buy waterproof shoes?

Walkintom
04-11-2015, 19:19
Not really.

You will get wet. It's ok; it happens.

Hike while wearing raingear and you will get wet. Either you'll get wet from rain and wet foilage if you're not sealed in enough or you'll get wet from sweat if you're sealed in too much.

You will also wind up crossing some places that are waist deep or deeper. Unless you're carrying a pair of chest waders with you - you will get wet.

BirdBrain
04-11-2015, 19:23
You are going to get wet. Your feet are going to get wet... unless you are wearing hip waders. When it comes to foot wear, fast drying is a more realistic goal. "Waterproof"shoes equal shoes that are heavy and never dry.

BirdBrain
04-11-2015, 19:26
Not really.

You will get wet. It's ok; it happens.

Hike while wearing raingear and you will get wet. Either you'll get wet from rain and wet foilage if you're not sealed in enough or you'll get wet from sweat if you're sealed in too much.

You will also wind up crossing some places that are waist deep or deeper. Unless you're carrying a pair of chest waders with you - you will get wet.

I was too slow..you beat me to it. Honest, I was typing while you were posting. My redundant post should speak volumes to the OP though.

Sarcasm the elf
04-11-2015, 21:58
My general rule for shoes is that if the weather is near or below freezing I wear waterproof shoes, if the weather is above freezing I wear mesh trail runners. Non-waterproof shoes are often dryer than waterproof ones at warm temperatures because they breathe, don't trap sweat and dry quickly.

In the winter, keeping my socks dry and warm is important, and sweating much less of an issue, so I use my goretex boots which are warmer and which save me when I clumsily stepping in steams and half frozen puddles. Sometimes I wear the boots even if it's above freezing if I know it's going to be real muddy like it was on my hike this morning. It just keeps things more comfortable when I have my boots in those conditions..

q-tip
04-12-2015, 11:39
It rains, we get wet. What I found more important is, how quicky does it dry???? Asolo boots never seem to dry. Hiking pants take forever. Gore tex shoes take quite a while.

My TT Contrail takes 15 min., hiking shorts and leggings 10 min., WM Alpinlite very quick in the sun. Marmot Mica 10 min. Also, I always carry a complete set of dry change, dry socks, merino shirt/leggings, gloves, hat, camp shoes.

Cold and wet just makes this not a lot of fun, and knowing I have a dry change makes the hiking conditions less critical.

Slo-go'en
04-12-2015, 11:49
The only truly waterproof gear is made of PVC, which isn't practical to hike in. It's heavy and you'd sweat so much it would be like being in a sauna. The same with boots, you'd need rubber over boots.

So, you have to compromise. A light jacket made of a breathable material will eventually bleed through, but it will keep you from getting soaking wet and will keep you warm.

I prefer GTX (gortex) lined boots, year round but most of my hiking is during wet times of the year or in cool and damp areas. The main problem is during a heavy rain, water will run down your leg and into the boot.

Lyle
04-12-2015, 12:46
AS others have said, if you hike in the rain for more than an hour or so, you will get wet. Rain gear does help in those times when you just need to run to the privy during a night time rain, or if there is a quick daytime shower. The main function of rain gear is to keep the wind off of you, and to contain the moisture that does accumulate. While active, the moisture inside your rain gear is warmed up, so more comfortable than if you were constantly being bombarded by cold rain.

In light of the above, I've found for the past 8 or 9 years now, that the lightest, most compact silicone nylon rain gear is just as effective as the expensive stuff. My current gear includes a Brawny Gear silnylon rain jacket (2 oz), a ULA silnylon rain wrap (2.5 oz) and a ULA Silnylon Pack Cover (2 oz). I've used this combo on the AT, in the Boundary Waters in early spring with rain/sleet/snow/wind, in the High Sierras, and many places in between. Base layers change for the different areas for necessary warmth.

Water proof boots, likewise, work for a little while, but rain running down your legs or wet grass, or stepping in calf deep streams/puddles will eventually cause water to enter your boots. Waterproof = slow to dry. Best alternative is to occasionally wring out your socks during prolonged rain, once the rain stops and the trail drys out, put on clean, dry socks and walk your shoes dry.

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 12:55
One thing I've done is moved from rainsuits like FroggToggs to a poncho that covers me and my pack. Using that and gaiters I can stay more comfortable in most situations and drier.

But, as stated, the very best thing is having something dry to change into. It sucks putting the wet stuff back on to hike in the next morning, but always saving a dry set to change into for camp is essential.