PDA

View Full Version : What's your jerky recipe?

Rightfoot
04-12-2015, 07:49
What is your marinade for beef?

tim.hiker
04-12-2015, 07:55
Liquid smoke and Cajun seasoning with salt and some hot sauce. nothing fancy but I like it from time to time some BBQ sauce. The key to it not to leave it in to long and not long enough..

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 09:04
My most basic recipe:

4 oz Worcestershire sauce
4 oz soy sauce
1 tbsp garlic powder
sometimes add roughly ground black pepper

semi-freeze a piece of beef, usually eye of round, then cut it before it thaws. Cut across the grain, make slices about 1/4" thick and rough medallion size, say 6 square inches or so.

Marinate 4-12 hours, depending on personal schedule.

Dehydrate. Trim excess fat after 1/4 of the way done. This is something I figured out eventually, not to trim fat earlier in the process as I want the fat calories if the end product isn't too fatty. By the time it's been in the dehydrator 3 hours or so I can glance at a piece and know how much of the fat will be left and decide if I should trim.

Leaving fat reduces the shelf life of the end product and will leave grease on the fat bearing pieces of meat but these things aren't a concern for me as my jerky never hangs around very long unless I freeze it.

Tuckahoe
04-12-2015, 10:15
Here is a ginger and wasabi maranade that I made up --

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 rice vinegar
Couple drops of liquid smoke
Dash of salt and pepper
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon wasabi paste

Maranate atleast 12 hours.

This come out a little mild so if you want a more heat add more wasabi. Measurements are suggestions to me,so feel free to tinker as you please.

urbansix
04-12-2015, 11:11
The recipe I always return to that is my favorite - also because it is quick and easy and consistent, for me - is to use a bottle of Jerk Marinade. I usually try to find Walkerswood brand, as they have all natural ingredients and no HFCS.

Be sure to blot the meat some after marinading. It will be almost unbearably hot if too much sauce is left on. I have also made a variation of pemmican using this and dried cranberries.

http://www.amazon.com/Walkerswood-Jerk-Marinade-Glass-Ounce/dp/B0002D8MBY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1428851004&sr=8-4&keywords=jerk+marinade
and
http://www.walkerswood.com/product_traditional_jerk_marinade.php

Ground Control
04-12-2015, 14:30
Ted's Herky Jerky.
Anyone you share it with will beg for more; had some very advantageous offers of trade from other hikers in the past.

http://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/trail-news/trail-chef-world-s-best-beef-jerky/

The picture in the article looks like an overcooked batch, but don't let that scare you off.

A couple of suggestions:

-when slicing, better to err on thicker than thinner
-I've had better results with minced garlic rather than powder
-I've had better results with London Broil rather than Flank

Have fun

Scrum
06-15-2015, 17:34
My daughter and I got inspired by this post and have been perfecting our own recipe. The marinade for about 3.5 pounds of top round beef is:

1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1.5 cups teriyeki sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1.5 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
3 teaspoons ground black pepper
0.75 tablespoon salt
0.5 tablespoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons brown sugar

Freeze the meat a bit before cutting into 1/4 in. to 1/6 in strips.
Let soak for 8 to 12 hours (we do it overnight)

Dry meat with paper towals and put 8 to 10 strips on wooden skewers.
Cover an oven rack with tin foil, place at bottom level to catch juice droppings.
Hang skewers on oven rack, on the top level.
Bake at lowest level possible in the oven - we have a convection oven with a setting 140 degree drying that works great. Many ovens only go as low as 170 degrees, which will work find.

About 5 to 6 hours latter the meet is done. Let cools and put in zip lock bags, store in the refrigerator.

It comes out sweet with a little spice in the after taste. I would post a photo, but we already ate the last batch. It goes fast.

swisscross
06-15-2015, 17:46
I too use eye of the round, freeze for a couple of hours, slice.

Marinate in Veri Veri Teriyaki sauce with a health/liberal dose of Sriracha overnight.
Pat dry.
Fresh cracked black pepper (larger the better) on both sides and press into meat.

I dehydrate in oven on lowest setting (I think it is 170-175) with door closed until done.
I typically eat about a quarter of the meat testing if done.

easy peasy and tasty.