PDA

View Full Version : Q's Concerning Body Weight and Foot Growth/Expansion

WalkingChris
04-12-2015, 09:11
Hi to all! Newbie here with day-hiking experience, planning a half-thru from Springer to Harper's in 2016. Still doing a lot of research and reading and have already started to plan some overnights this year for prep and experience.

Two issues I couldn't find discussed on this board or much of anywhere else:

1. Dropping body weight. A whole lot of discussion of pack weight, but not much info on dropping body weight for long-distance hiking. Now, I realize a whole lot of you folks are probably already at optimum weight, but what about us other folks that pack on weight in the winters? I am female, 35, six feet tall, big-framed, and usually weigh around 220 pounds. When summer gets started, though, I fight off about 20 pounds with a chair and a whip, to keep my ankles and knees happy. Is this something that just happens naturally long-distance or is it something to be done on purpose pre-trip? I figured I'd probably want to push down to around 180 (as low as I can usually get on healthy diet and exercise) for this trip, but from reading about it, it doesn't seem like much of a concern. Thoughts? Should I worry more about conditioning or more about body weight? Which is the higher priority? I want to be kind to my joints and do the best thing.

2. Foot expansion/'growth' and shoes. A few people have said their feet grow up to a size on this trip, and I had to laugh because this happened to me when I was about 24 during one awesome and quite grueling summer of traipsing around OhioPyle. I went from a woman's size 9.5US to a 10.5US. My concern is that I already have BIG feet for a woman. If they get much bigger, finding shoes on the hike might be a problem (and several people have said not to buy shoes ahead of time, for precisely this reason). Do outfitters along the southern way carry large sizes? Since there's no way to stop it from happening, if it does, can I just buy men's runners instead, or is this frowned upon for some reason? Has anyone experiences a second period of foot growth when getting into long-distance? Around home, I wear Starter sneakers (holy cow are they comfy but I destroy them quickly), so I'm already out of my element when looking at real trail shoes.

Just trying to get myself as prepared as possible. Thanks in advance for reading and any guidance you can offer. Happy trails! :)

MuddyWaters
04-12-2015, 11:52
You can wear whatever shoes fit you that you like. No one cares. Plenty of shorter men wear womens packs and many people use womens sleeping pads because they are a little shorter/lighter and have more insulation in some cases.

You will do yourself a favor to get in the best shape you can before hitting trail. It might make the difference between quitting after 30 miles, or not. Its harder than many expect when they are heavy and carrying heavy packs. You can get in shape on trail too, but you are then fighting a mental battle for a couple weeks. Many successfully have, probably most do it that way.

I wouldnt worry about weight as much as conditioning. Ive known some hefty people that could run 10 Ks. I have a female friend that in a slightly weighty state ran a 50 mile ultra last year. She can outrun me easily and I have 7-8% bodyfat. If you can jog a couple miles at a time, say for 20-30 min, your joints and tendons can get adjusted to repeated stresses, and you will be well on your way to a good start with minimal issues.

Feet do get bigger, but not forever. I went from 9.5 at age 22, to 11.5 , and pretty much just stayed at 11.5 for years now.

garlic08
04-12-2015, 17:25
I saw quite a few AT hikers struggling with losing body fat in the first month. And those were the ones still hiking. I concluded that a thru-hike is a lousy place to lose weight.

If you can't find the right shoes along the way, use an on-line retailer to get new shoes shipped to a mail drop a week or so up the trail, and adjust the size if needed. Of course you can wear men's shoes. My wife has wider feet and she almost has to wear men's sizes, and I love her anyway.

rickb
04-12-2015, 18:09
Dropping body weight will have as much or more impact as dropping pack weight. It is just so much harder. But I am sure you (and everyone else) really knows that already.

Another Kevin
04-13-2015, 21:11
Dropping body weight will have as much or more impact as dropping pack weight. It is just so much harder. But I am sure you (and everyone else) really knows that already.

As someone who dropped about 40 pounds over three years, by the simple technique of taking up hiking again after too long away , I agree ... sort of. When you're heavy, you're starting out with muscles already adapted to carrying that much weight. When you're lighter, not so much. And a heavy pack unbalances you more than a heavy belly. I'd say that losing ten pounds from the pack was very nearly as valuable, subjectively, as losing thirty from the Kevin.

shelb
04-13-2015, 21:32
As someone who dropped about 40 pounds over three years, by the simple technique of taking up hiking again after too long away , I agree ... sort of. When you're heavy, you're starting out with muscles already adapted to carrying that much weight. When you're lighter, not so much. And a heavy pack unbalances you more than a heavy belly. I'd say that losing ten pounds from the pack was very nearly as valuable, subjectively, as losing thirty from the Kevin.

I agree on this one (as someone who has hiked with an additional 50 pounds on my body and hiked with an additional 15 pounds on my pack!)

rickb
04-13-2015, 21:33

You make a great deal of sense.

Just Bill
04-13-2015, 21:52
To a certain extent one question answers the other.

Agree to drop the number, worry about conditioning overall, not what the scale says.
Hiking in and of itself will generate some weight loss, and the trail will fine tune it. You will likely loose fat and gain muscle. I don't have a fact in sight but the general consensus seems to be that women don't lose much weight- but they sure rearrange it pretty well.

As you address the conditioning and rack up the miles, your feet will settle in too. Two things happen as far as I can tell-
Actual size change- the walking can and does change the shape of your feet, though not for all. I personally changed from a 10.5 to a 12.
Temporary size change- usually a combo of; spread, swelling, and socks.
The spread in this case is the same as the actual size change, but goes away after your hike.
The swelling happens from the walking, but also from the weather. The summer heat gets lots of folks in and of itself and can add .5 size.
Socks can easily add a half size. A lot of people miss this simple bit of wisdom, especially when wearing a nice wool sock like a Darn Tuff hiker weight. I size a half size down in summer when it's too hot to wear my normal socks.

Agree about the men's shoes- in a pinch- or even in general- who cares? I wear a skirt and a women's watch.

In general- nothing worse than bad shoes. Now is a great time to expand your knowledge and try a few different brands and styles out.

I'm also another person who second's Another Kevin- less weight on your back makes walking more pleasurable. Pleasurable experiences are often repeated. Repeated walking will trim the extra pounds.

Be comfy, have fun- the rest will work itself out.

WalkingChris
04-14-2015, 04:36
Thanks to everyone for responding!

I'm beginning my usual conditioning already, and I guess I won't worry so much about my scale number as the feel of my body. I've read over and over that women have a problem cutting actual weight because it does tend to just move around (fat into muscle) rather than simply going away, but I have a good year of prep to get myself in really good shape. So, a bit of weight loss combined with a whole lot of conditioning seems to be the ticket.

As for shoes, thanks for all the guidance! I wasn't sure if there is some difference between male and female feet (due to hip spring or something), but now I feel silly for asking. The last thing I want to do is embarrass or hurt myself on the trail. As no one in my family or friend group is very active, I have no one to ask these things other than strangers, so sorry if that was a dumb or weird question! :) It ain't being the only one who loves the outdoors among a group of couch potatoes.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate how open and honest everyone is here, and I'm so glad I found such a huge group of like-minded people.

Happy trails! :)