PDA

View Full Version : Losing down...

jcreamer
04-12-2015, 17:19
I have a MH 32 degree 800 fill down bag that is approximately 5 years old. Lately I have noticed that it is leaking down worse than usual. This weekend, in my hammock, I found multiple feathers/pieces of down. I have carefully inspected the bag and there are no obvious tears or openings in the bag. I have washed it several times since I have owned it - always "by the book" with Nikwax down wash and slow drying.
I have two other down bags (WM and FF) and neither of them leak down of any significance.
Any ideas or advice on what to do to preserve my down?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Rain Man
04-12-2015, 17:27
Personally, I wouldn't fret. Not unusual for some down to escape and you have carefully inspected the bag. To me, a few pieces of down out of the millions (?) in a bag is no big deal.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2015, 17:51
Yeah, stop and envision how much would have to be lost to make a difference. A couple of feathers now and then isnt going to make a noticeable difference.
More to the point, I dont know of anything you can do about it either, unless sell it if it really bothers you.

scrabbler
04-12-2015, 19:03
Muddy is right. If you have ever worked with down, you would realize that a feather or 10 here and there is nothing. A quarter ounce of down would make a huge mess.

jcreamer
04-12-2015, 19:50
Thanks guys. That makes me feel much better. I really like the bag. But it just leaks more than my others. I can live with that though.