PDA

View Full Version : 1 charger for phone & camera

squeezebox
04-12-2015, 19:58
I'ld like to take a single charger for my phone and camera. The one with the foldin prongs weigh 2 oz more but also has a usb jack I imagine to download the camera memory to a computer I guess. I have not read the directions but can you tell me what the Gps and WiFi does and how to work those. I was planning to not to go to a smart phone but I'll check out Verizon this week. Any other phone companies I should consider?
Thanks

squeezebox
04-12-2015, 20:17
I would like to have weather & Guthook apps, but any other apps you use also? I will carry maps and an AWOL.

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 21:02
Check the ports on the camera and phone and make sure that they match and you should be good to go.

WIFI is the ability to connect to a wireless network available at most libraries, many restaurants, and various other places. Allows you to do things involving internet usage without using up the data associated with your wireless plan.

GPS (global positioning system) allows your phone to determine its location for map related purposes.

Putting smartphones into airplane mode is what many people do to save battery life. Shuts off wifi, mobile network (phone calls and data) and on many phones, GPS. It's as fast as changing a setting on the phone and you can turn it on and off as desired.

Besides apps you mentioned, I used my Kindle App a lot to read and I use Wordpress app to blog. Couple of games as well. But these are all ways to kill your battery faster. I carry a battery backup for that reason.

squeezebox
04-12-2015, 21:53
So can I download the camera memory to home computer or attach to an email? Can I send stuff home on wifi?

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 22:06
Getting your pictures off your camera to home while you're out on the trail can be complicated for someone who isn't really teach savvy. I've got an adapter where I can plug my phone up to my camera and take the pics off the camera using the phone, then email them or upload them. I haven't seen many folks doing this though. So the long answer to your question is Yes, it can be done but learning how to do it is specific to the equipment that you have and the data connections available to you.

What I would advise you to do is this: Buy extra memory cards for the camera. Fill one up, then mail it home. Have someone upload the pics from there, if that's an option. Memory cards aren't that expensive these day and weigh next to nothing.

squeezebox
04-12-2015, 23:33
Yes I have 6 two gig sd cards. I can send the full ones home with the maps I'm finished with, and pick up the clean ones with the next set of maps. Could even buy a pair of say 32 gig cards.
Thanks for your time, WalkinTom

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 23:47
If you buy more cards, it's worth it to get the class 10 SD cards. They transfer data faster and don't cost much more. Can speed up picture taking, which can matter at times. Last year when I was on Isle Royale and encountered one of the wolves, I was glad to be taking pictures as fast as I could click.

Odd Man Out
04-13-2015, 09:38
... Last year when I was on Isle Royale and encountered one of the wolves, I was glad to be taking pictures as fast as I could click.

You are truly lucky. Given the collapse of the wolf population at IRNP, that is a very rare event.

Walkintom
04-13-2015, 10:48
Yeah, with only 7 wolves left, I counted myself as very fortunate.

Conditions were perfect and I snuck up on one of the two younger ones on Feldtman Ridge as I was about 15 minutes before the descent to Feldtman Lake. Lots of wind and I was perfectly downwind so I got to observe for a couple of minutes, take some photos as he/she ate berries and then I did the right thing and scared him/her off.

jupiterkn
04-13-2015, 13:10
I bought a SD memory card for the camera and there is an app I put on my iPhone that I use to make a wireless connection to the camera with. I can then move pictures from the camera to the phone and then up to social media or my iCloud account etc

Works pretty easy

Sony camera
iPhone 6 in a Life Proof Case
16gb SD card for camera with WiFi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offshore
04-13-2015, 14:08
Extra memory cards are cheap, but a downside is that they are easily lost. Another option would be the Eye-fi SD memory cards with built in WiFi http://www.eyefi.com/ if your camera is compatible. It makes your camera wireless - the card acts as a normal class 10 card but when it can connect to a wifi network, it uploads your content to your WiFi cloud account where you can download them later. If not tech savvy, you can get help setting it up and after that it pretty much goes on its own. There is a mobile app that allows you to verify that your photos were transferred.

saltysack
04-15-2015, 12:24
Drop box app is great for storing pic taken w iPhone

atraildreamer
04-15-2015, 16:50
So can I download the camera memory to home computer or attach to an email? Can I send stuff home on wifi?

You can get a Dropbox account and store them there when you have access to a computer. Also, a Gmail or Hotmail (now Outlook) email account will give you access to free cloud storage. As you suggest, you can email them to yourself as attachments to an email account. I would send them to 2 accounts, simultaneously, as a cc:, in case something happens to your account.

(FYI- I was one of the accounts hacked on Hotmail a few years back. I lost all my stored emails and my address book. I couldn't sign in for a year, until the Hotmail folks reset all the hacked accounts.)

rickb
04-15-2015, 18:57
Drop box app is great for storing pic taken w iPhone

The photos I take on my iPhone show up automatically on my iPad and my wife's iPad too-- just as soon as I connect to Wifi.

There was nothing to set up other than clicking "my photo stream".

If she takes a picture it shows up on my devices

Smarter people that I can click a few more buttons to have even more functionality.

saltysack
04-15-2015, 19:03
The photos I take on my iPhone show up automatically on my iPad and my wife's iPad too-- just as soon as I connect to Wifi.

Smarter people that I can click a few more buttons to have even more functionality.

Good for sum......not ME!!!
I've got a wife with an iPhone and Mac, 14 yr old daughter with iPhone and iPad and 8 yr old with iPad mini....I keep mine NOT synced for a reason!![emoji16]

rickb
04-15-2015, 20:01
Good for sum......not ME!!!
I've got a wife with an iPhone and Mac, 14 yr old daughter with iPhone and iPad and 8 yr old with iPad mini....I keep mine NOT synced for a reason!![emoji16]

Too funny.

But I'll bet in your situation you have "find my phone" set up.

That is a feature the OP might be interested in-- to let folks back home know automatically where you were the last time you were connected to Wifi or Verizon. Or if your loved one's device turns up at an unexpect d location ��

saltysack
04-15-2015, 20:02
Haaa....yep

Harrison Bergeron
04-16-2015, 08:57
Walmart sells a little cube charger that looks like an I-Phone charger but has two USB ports and can charge two devices at the same time, so you can charge both your phone and battery-based charger at the same time. It weighs 1.2 oz.

On the camera subject, unless you're a photography buff, I'd leave the camera at home and just use your phone's camera. And consider getting a waterproof phone. I use a Samsung Rugby (AT&T or Tmobile).

And consider this -- do you actually think you might someday print all those hundreds of pictures of trees, signs, trail friends, and mountain vistas? More likely, you'll download them to a computer when you get home, and pick a few to keep on your phone to show your friends.

If that's the case, the solution to the storage issue is not to mail an SD card home to yourself every week. JUST TAKE SMALLER PICTURES. On a computer or cellphone you can't tell the difference between 12 megapixels and 1 megapixels. An 800x400, 1 megapixel image only consumes 251kb on the card -- a 32 gigabyte smart phone (or Android with a 32G SD card) can hold more than 13,000 of them. And if you want to email a few home from the trail, it won't take forever to do it. By the way, when you're buying your cell phone, an Android with a removable SD card even gives you the option of mailing them home if you still insist on taking giant pictures.

Offshore
04-16-2015, 09:24

Be careful - Photostream is not a storage option - its designed to move photos among devices connected with the same iCloud account. It holds photos on the server for only 30 days Its also a rolling system that keeps only the last 1000 photos. To save or back up the photos, you need to save them to your iOS device or Mac or PC (using the iCloud control panel). Cloud storage from a major provider that won't disappear (Google Drive, iCloud drive, Amazon Prime Photos, or Microsoft OneDrive) is your best option. If you are anticipating a lot of photos, look into Microsoft Cloud Drive (correction: OneDrive) which gives you a unlimited storage for $70 (the purchase price of Office 365 Personal). Google WB for "OneDrive" - there was another thread where I posted detailed info and links.

rickb
04-16-2015, 11:18
Be careful - Photostream is not a storage option - its designed to move photos among devices connected with the same iCloud account. It holds photos on the server for only 30 days Its also a rolling system that keeps only the last 1000 photos. To save or back up the photos, you need to save them to your iOS device or Mac or PC (using the iCloud control panel). Cloud storage from a major provider that won't disappear (Google Drive, iCloud drive, Amazon Prime Photos, or Microsoft OneDrive) is your best option. If you are anticipating a lot of photos, look into Microsoft Cloud Drive which gives you a unlimited storage for $70 (the purchase price of Office 365 Personal). Google WB for "OneDrive" - there was another thread where I posted detailed info and links.

I had no idea.

Thank you so much!

Offshore
04-16-2015, 11:35
I had no idea.

Thank you so much!

No problem. One of the benefits of the major cloud storage providers is that most have iOS and Android apps that will automatically back up your phone's camera. I've been using Microsoft OneDrive (misstated the name in my post) on my iPhone and its been great. There are a lot of good options out there, so take a look at them all. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you get unlimited photo storage for free through Amazon Prime Photos.

Deacon
04-16-2015, 15:13
Ask yourself this question. Are you planning on photos only, some video, or a lot of video? The cloud will work fine for photos, but don't even think about it for video. Yes, it's supposed to work, but don't count on it.

A five minute video will be half a gig of data, and I have yet to find a wifi on the trail strong or fast enough to upload to the cloud successfully. You could use cellular but that's expensive, and cell signals are weak on the trail.

I just got a 64 gb smartphone to keep videos on. You can disregard all this if you're using photos only.