PDA

View Full Version : Not necessarily about the AT but,...

kombiguy
04-12-2015, 20:01
Suppose one were to sell everything one owns, except a few sets of clothes, etc. Suppose further that one purchased a set of things necessary for living off the land, a tent, a camp stove, a backpack, etc. Suppose further that one then just left everything behind and began traveling. No home, no car, no address, etc. What might be the problems?
I'm thinking about ditching it all and just being what my parents would have called a bum.

Starchild
04-12-2015, 20:09
I met such a thru hiker, God told him to leave everything behind (including shoes and all money) and just continue north. He got good at recovering abandoned gear and OK at yogi'ing, have been curious if he made it to Katahdin.

BirdBrain
04-12-2015, 20:16
Do you have kids? If the answer is yes, then I would say that your biggest problem would be yourself. If the answer is no, I reserve the right to think about it a bit and maybe not give so blunt of an answer.

kombiguy
04-12-2015, 20:19
Grown kids, 32 nd 34. Be as blunt as you'd like! It's really, really hard to offend me, and I am looking for information and wisdom. Blunt away, my friend! :)

kayak karl
04-12-2015, 20:24
there are different levels to this BUM life you speak of. you could lower yourself to yogi-ing or live off the land, but either way i don't think you would last too long. why not just downsize to a cabin on a piece of land. either way downsizing to few belonging does bring things into perspective. :)

kombiguy
04-12-2015, 20:27
It wouldn't be yogi-ing, really. I have a decent pension,so I could afford food, shelter, etc. Although a small cabin in the woods has its appeal.

4eyedbuzzard
04-12-2015, 20:27
As long as you are supporting yourself, who is anyone to say what you should/shouldn't do? A simpler life is very appealing to many. https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=ssl#q=dick+proenneke&safe=off&tbm=vid

Living off the land sounds pretty wonderful. But I think it's also really hard work. Just depends if you're really up for that.

I think one issue that might become more problematic as you age would be access to healthcare. And, obviously, emergency healthcare is going to be more difficult if you live remotely and/or with limited communication.

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 20:31
I live in a small cabin. Nothing wrong with it. :)

Hangfire
04-12-2015, 20:33
There has never been a better time in history to go for this lifestyle. If it doesn't work out jump back into society, get some student loans, write a book, has it ever been so easy to live the vagabond lifestyle!

BirdBrain
04-12-2015, 20:36
I have no desire to offend anyone. I am a hermit at heart. I grew up playing in the woods. As I grew up, I spent more time there than any other place. I constantly long to be alone out there. It is a peace that I cannot obtain anywhere else. I almost get panicky when a hike is ending. I understand those that desire such things. I am not a socialite. My desires may not describe yours. I will not judge. The only thing that keeps me from doing what you desire is my obligating to others. In my mind that obligation is not contingent on merit. It is foundational and logical. It keeps me grounded. It makes me remain an asset to society. I am thankful for my place. If I was not beholden to anyone, I would be very tempted to do such an illogical thing. My life is free of any great obstacles. You are considering those obstacles right now. I will not judge. I will say it is more logical to have a home and plan long walks from that home. Just my take and all I have to say on this subject.

Damn Yankee
04-12-2015, 20:49
I would read the book "Into the Wild" about Chris McCandless. It will give you some idea.

Slo-go'en
04-12-2015, 20:59
Homeless with means. I've done that for a few years, but I was much younger. If your pension is direct deposit, no problem. Might be fun to travel around and hike different trails. There is a lot to see with out even leaving the states. Just be sure to put enough in escrow that you can buy that little place in the woods later on.

Odd Man Out
04-12-2015, 21:38
I saw this article awhile back and found it attractive. An architect designed a very attractive and functional yet small RV home. I gather there are some tax and zoning advantages to living in an RV rather than a cabin or traditional mobile home. The key was to make it to the size and mobility specifications of an RV, but with the design of a cabin.

http://www.treehugger.com/tiny-houses/escape-park-model-home.html

4eyedbuzzard
04-12-2015, 21:40
I would read the book "Into the Wild" about Chris McCandless. It will give you some idea.
The OP has a pension / means of support, is seeking other's advice, and seems to be trying to plan out a strategy to simplify his life and perhaps live closer to the land.
McCandless had zero means of support, ignored the advice of others, and had no plan other than wandering off aimlessly into the wilderness.
Big differences here.

MuddyWaters
04-12-2015, 21:54
You must have domicile, an address where you can be contacted by mail, and establishes a residency. You dont have to live there, but it is for legal reasons.

"Each state (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._State) of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) is considered a separate sovereign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty) within the U.S. federal system, and each therefore has its own laws on questions of marriage, inheritance, and liability (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_liability) for tort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tort) and contract (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract) actions. Persons who reside in the U.S. must have a state domicile for various purposes."

You also cannot live off of public lands, legally, unless you keep moving to avoid the laws that are in place to prevent people from doing exactly what you propose.
You surely cannot live off of private areas

In essence, you would be a bum, and likely a criminal .

Unless you have enough money and can keep moving, then you are just a tourist. Or a hiker. Thats OK.

There are communities of RVers that live out of their RVs that kind of do this. They keep moving, share places to stealth camp, etc. Forums dedicated to the lifestyle I believe.

martinb
04-12-2015, 22:54
Well, stay off state lands. You can camp for 30 days in a USDA campground. Anyway, sounds good to me. If I had the means, AKA pension, I'd do it. Life is short, see new things, experience all you can before it's gone.

CELTIC BUCK
04-12-2015, 23:28
GO & enjoy life. The smell of wood smoke is the essence of Adventure.

fiddlehead
04-12-2015, 23:52
To the OP: Go for it.
IT's the best education you can get IMO.

It's basically what had me ending up here on an island in Thailand. (I didn't have to sell everything though)
My friends here include: English, Swiss, Welsh, Polish, Dutch, German, Swedish, Italians, Russians, Americans and of course Thais.
Last week, my wife's business worked at weddings for people from: Phillipines, China, Scotland, Kenya, South Africa and India.

Of course, hiking can teach you a lot about life also: "Less is More", Being comfortable in the desert, rainstorm, snow, etc., Learning botany, meteorology, astronomy, navigation, All while getting you in the best shape of your life.

But traveling, without a destination, can teach you how to get along with different people.
And THAT is something we all need to do better!

Old Hillwalker
04-13-2015, 06:02
It wouldn't be yogi-ing, really. I have a decent pension,so I could afford food, shelter, etc. Although a small cabin in the woods has its appeal.

A cabin in the woods is what I have here in Western Maine. My cabin is 600 square feet on 50 ridgetop acres. The house is one of two on an abandoned county road which means that the us two home owners up here have to plow and maintain the road for about a half mile. I go to town for supplies about once a month, less when possible. I have a large garden, grape vines, about 300 sugar maples and access to miles and miles of old abandoned roads lined with cellar holes from the 1700 and 1800s. Looking north from my farmer's porch I can see the mountains the AT crosses only a few miles away. The only negative thing about living up here are the tremendous winds that hit the house every time a weather front comes through. If my wife were still alive she would not like living here due to the silence and solitude (when there is no wind). She loved cities.

Pappy03
04-13-2015, 06:58
There is a group for the RVers called Escapees. They provide free/cheap camping options and how to live while "full-timing" in your RV. Lots of people are dropping off the radar and doing this. My wife and I spent two years on the road and if we hadn't wanted to have kids would probably still be there. Great lifestyle and lots to see and do. Earning money isn't hard if you are industrious. Good luck

Pappy03

bigcranky
04-13-2015, 07:25
Man, lots of negative vibes on this thread.

If I had a pension or social security, a few bucks in the bank, and no encumbrances, I'd be very tempted to just hike full time. If I had grown kids, I would use one of their homes as my permanent legal address, or get a legal mailing address with a box at a mail forwarding business. Living on the trail is cheap -- just food and the occasional gear replacement, plus once a week a motel room or hostel room so I could do laundry and grab a shower.

The major issues I can think of in advance are (1) winter weather. Sure, you can hike the Florida Trail or the AZ Trail, or you can hole up in a trail town somewhere by renting a cheap room. Or go crash with the kids :). (2) medical care. You'll need to be very proactive about maintaining your own medical records, since you'll be unlikely to go to the same doc twice. (3) travel between trails. You can hitch, or ride the dog, to get from one place to another. If you have enough money for international travel you'll of course have to maintain a passport and credit cards and all that. (Probably want to do that anyway, and do everything online in trail towns.) That brings up (4) your financial life. You'll have to deal with this online, and keep track of everything. Finally, there is (5) dealing with the authorities. If you come across as a bum, you can get hassled pretty hard. So having your ID, credit cards, etc., may help defuse that. Assuming you aren't trying to sleep on the street :)

Finally, you are only a bum if you can't support yourself, and (in the old school definition) you're alcoholic. Hoboes work for food, though you won't likely need to do that. You'd probably best be described as a tramp, again using the old school definition. :)

kombiguy
04-13-2015, 08:03
You must have domicile, an address where you can be contacted by mail, and establishes a residency. You dont have to live there, but it is for legal reasons.

"Each state (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._State) of the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) is considered a separate sovereign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereignty) within the U.S. federal system, and each therefore has its own laws on questions of marriage, inheritance, and liability (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_liability) for tort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tort) and contract (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract) actions. Persons who reside in the U.S. must have a state domicile for various purposes."

You also cannot live off of public lands, legally, unless you keep moving to avoid the laws that are in place to prevent people from doing exactly what you propose.
You surely cannot live off of private areas

In essence, you would be a bum, and likely a criminal .

Unless you have enough money and can keep moving, then you are just a tourist. Or a hiker. Thats OK.

There are communities of RVers that live out of their RVs that kind of do this. They keep moving, share places to stealth camp, etc. Forums dedicated to the lifestyle I believe.

It's not so much that one must have a domicile, but that one always does have one. In America, one is always presumed to have a domicile, regardless of one's address or lack thereof. One always has a domicile, one does not always have an address. I am unaware of any state that requires one to have an address.
I don't know why you brought up "living off" public lands. I proposed to sleep on public lands, certainly. Just like millions of Americans do yearly.
I am also unaware of any state that criminalizes the act of wandering from place to place. If one has no visible means of support one might be charged with vagrancy, but that's not contemplated here.

kombiguy
04-13-2015, 08:05
Man, lots of negative vibes on this thread.

True. Dang, I was hoping for hobo status. "Tramp" doesn't have the same flavor to it as hobo. Less romantic, somehow.

peakbagger
04-13-2015, 08:09
Do you plan to be a bum or a scrounge?. There are plenty of folks that bilk the system using the social safety net. Scrounges move around following what areas has the best safety net and then learn how to game the system. Unfortunately many of the folks that scrounges associate with are people who need to the social safety net. Many states have mainstreamed the mentally ill by kicking them out on the streets with little of no support and they rapidly end up homeless, most are harmless but some are violent. Then you have the arguably voluntary homeless that are either drunk or drugged. In order to get access to the social safety net you will be associating with these folks and at least some in the class believe in survival of the fittest and they regard anything you possess as theirs for the taking. In general it sounds to me like a pretty grim lifestyle even if you are fit and unless you are careful you could end up with some communicable disease like TB.

Then there are the folks who live a minimalist lifestyle. It can be done if you have some savings and have paid into social security. I believe South Dakota allows someone to establish residency with a PO box and there are several firms that act as mail forwarders to the transient population. Medical care is still a big issue. Even with Obama care, your biggest expense may be insurance. Unless you are vet and have access to the VA system or some other alternative, if you get hurt or ill, then you will either have to drain what assets you have or go on the social safety net and hope you survive the experience. A lot of folks don't plan to become homeless and dependent on public services, but its a slippery slope for many.

If you want to work, there are numerous seasonal jobs in resort areas that have a tough time getting filled. As an example in my area AMC has a very large list of jobs, some conventional and some in the backcountry. It not lucrative but you can get paid to camp and work in the outdoors for about 5 months. during the summer and fall and then you head south and do the same thing in the winter. There is usually a gap between the two seasons so there will be down time. There are quite few younger folks who do this for a few years but the majority of them get burned out and quit.

garlic08
04-13-2015, 08:12
I've met a few people doing what you write of to varying degrees. The closest one was a single father who, as soon as his son turned 21, got through college and got a self-supporting job, sold everything and took to a touring bicycle. He's been a 'vagabond' for five years. His average expenses per year are about $5000, even counting gear and medical care. He is happy, strong, had all his teeth, and even has good gear. He cycles about 8000 miles per year, an indication of his overall health. Many of his peers would have a hard time, and would be unhappy, living on ten times that. I think he uses his son's mailbox as a legal address. I don't think he bothers filing taxes, which might bite him sometime in the future, but not too bad since he has no income.

Another one is a retiree with a good pension, a bachelor, who sold everything but a car and started hiking. When not hiking, a few months a year, he could live cheaply in a friend's cabin otherwise he was rent-free. He actually saved money when he was on a long trail. He "lived" in a niece's mailbox--she would send important bills etc. to a mail drop once a month or so. He had a few problems with late bills, keeping a car registered, etc, but it was a pretty cool, carefree life. Then, in his late 60s, he met the woman of his dreams and got married! Now he only hikes a month or so at a time and finally understands the concept of homesickness.

Both of these guys are good friends of mine. They have lived outside of or at the edge of 'the system' in a sustainable, responsible, respectable, and mature way.

nuknees
04-13-2015, 09:09
....would have called a bum.

Not a bum....you're just a 'free range person.' :)

Bronk
04-13-2015, 10:05
Lots of ways to do this. A few years ago I bought a few acres just a stone's throw away from the national forest and built a little cabin. Its completely off grid...no power or running water. Water comes from a spring behind the cabin...eventually I hope to be able to pump water from the spring to a holding tank up the hill and gravity feed it so that I have running water. When my land is paid for my only bills will be a $40 cell phone bill and $50 a month in car insurance. I'm still working, but when I retire I plan to do quite a bit of traveling and I wanted to have a kind of home base. I'm not a materialistic person...when I got here I had 4 rubbermaid storage boxes and 3 suitcases...I don't have much more than that now and if I had to pack up and leave I would be ready in under an hour.

RockDoc
04-13-2015, 15:37
I did that for a while. Great feeling of freedom, to a point... After a while I longed for a home, relationships, work.

4eyedbuzzard
04-13-2015, 16:33
While going "free range" has its allure, I think we sometimes forget that we are all mostly raised, conditioned, etc., to live and benefit from many things in society and in the modern world we were born into. We rely, almost blindly, and take for granted so many things that define the modern civilized world. There are obviously pluses and minuses, and the two can conflict, but it would be very difficult to completely withdraw.
Things to consider, that would be difficult to escape, and require some sort of residency and/or mailing address:
Property taxes. If even a small cabin rustic cabin is owned. Vehicle registration/personal property taxes if a vehicle is owned.
Income taxes. A pension plus SS income would almost surely necessitate paying and filing federal (and state if applicable) income taxes.
Healthcare. OP is 57 years old. The reality is that access to healthcare becomes a concern, and increases as we age. And you pretty much have to have some type of coverage under the Affordable Care Act or pay a pretty stiff penalty (not looking for a debate either way - it's the law).
Transportation. It would be very difficult to live without some means of getting places. Rural areas typically have zero public transport, and hitching isn't particularly reliable or convenient. Even if you don't own a car, having a Driver License even if just for ID purposes is a necessity if you want to rent a vehicle or fly anywhere.
Food. See above as you have to be able to get to a store. Hunting and growing your own can be done, but you would have to be extremely hard core to go without any store bought food (even think staples like flour, sugar, grains, etc). And honestly, your nutrition probably wouldn't be as good. Having access to fruits, vegetables, etc during winter months is a big bonus.
Finances. Yeah, you could technically live without any bank, credit cards, etc. But good luck. It is 2015. And again, you pretty much can't drive or fly without a credit card of some sort.
Social life. As a general rule, we humans are social creatures, even the hermits among us. Getting away for a while can be wonderful.. But it's nice to see family and friends as well.

daddytwosticks
04-13-2015, 17:59
...what about Mick Dodge? :)

4eyedbuzzard
04-13-2015, 18:10
...what about Mick Dodge? :)Reality vs. Reality TV? http://exotichikes.com/the-truth-about-the-legend-of-mick-dodge-hoh-rainforest-wildman/

Traveler
04-13-2015, 18:25
I did that for a while. Great feeling of freedom, to a point... After a while I longed for a home, relationships, work.

Even Thoreau left Walden.

Penn-J
04-13-2015, 19:03
Even Thoreau left Walden.

Thoreau advocated a life of society and wilderness. I feel they complement each other. Right now, for me, working 40 hrs a week, I get only about 10 to 20% of wilderness/adventure with weekends vacation time etc.

Although, I wish I could reverse it, get 10 to 20% of society and the rest wilderness/adventure!

rickb
04-13-2015, 19:18
I'm thinking about ditching it all and just being what my parents would have called a bum.

I think you could have a great adventure, but I'd suggest you go for being an "international man of mystery" rather than aspiring to be a bum.

With a pension from the Feds, good health and imagination you could have a hell of an adventure before you end up in the home getting spoon fed by a pretty nurse while trying to rember what year it is.

As people our age know, life is like a roll of toilet paper (it goes faster the closer you get to the end). Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

honogica
04-14-2015, 14:03
Dentist and doctors and the requirement to keep moving and winters and dentists and toilet paper and the occasional good book.

Other than that I recommend it.

honogica
04-14-2015, 14:05
Oh yeah… and sanity. Even a good hermit needs company once in a while

Astro
04-14-2015, 14:45

Not exactly a happy ending.

Spit Walker
04-14-2015, 15:26
After hiking the AT PCT CDT I am moving into my truck. Compared to my pack, I can carry lots in my truck. I can hardly find a fraction of the good life living the traditional ways. The thru hiking soul keeps leading me toward my dreams and beyond what I ever thought possible.

4eyedbuzzard
04-14-2015, 16:19
After hiking the AT PCT CDT I am moving into my truck. Compared to my pack, I can carry lots in my truck. I can hardly find a fraction of the good life living the traditional ways. The thru hiking soul keeps leading me toward my dreams and beyond what I ever thought possible.You will still need to register the vehicle somewhere, and maintain a Driver License, which generally means proving residency, which is a problem if you have no physical address or at least some other documents proving "residency". You'll also have to have at minimum liability insurance unless you live in New Hampshire, or Wisconsin (where technically you must post cash or bond in lieu of), and don't travel out of those states, neither of which are particularly good places to live in a truck during winter. Because sooner or later, some guy with a badge is going to ask you for license, registration, and proof of insurance.

Spit Walker
04-14-2015, 20:46
You will still need to register the vehicle somewhere, and maintain a Driver License, which generally means proving residency, which is a problem if you have no physical address or at least some other documents proving "residency". You'll also have to have at minimum liability insurance unless you live in New Hampshire, or Wisconsin (where technically you must post cash or bond in lieu of), and don't travel out of those states, neither of which are particularly good places to live in a truck during winter. Because sooner or later, some guy with a badge is going to ask you for license, registration, and proof of insurance.

But none of that will be an issue if you simply take care of it?

4eyedbuzzard
04-14-2015, 22:13
But none of that will be an issue if you simply take care of it?True. It's just that the reality is that one really can't completely escape many of the trappings of this civilization thing. Well, at least during life.

Old Hillwalker
04-15-2015, 06:41
You will still need to register the vehicle somewhere, and maintain a Driver License, which generally means proving residency, which is a problem if you have no physical address or at least some other documents proving "residency". You'll also have to have at minimum liability insurance unless you live in New Hampshire, or Wisconsin (where technically you must post cash or bond in lieu of), and don't travel out of those states, neither of which are particularly good places to live in a truck during winter. Because sooner or later, some guy with a badge is going to ask you for license, registration, and proof of insurance.

How I did it.......

A year after my wife passed away, I sold my home located a mile away from the AT in NH, bought a small travel trailer and headed west with my dog. I paid for a membership in a mail forwarding service in located Rapid City, SD. They registered my vehicle in SD and acted as a legal address for insurance etc. To get a drivers license I had to eventually go to SD, but after that renewal was by mail. Lots of full time travelers use this and other services for "full time" trailer camping. All mail was sent to wherever I would tell them via internet. My trailer had 180 watts of solar panels to be as self sufficient as possible. Other people I met had portable satellite dishes for TV which I eschewed.

Eventually I ended up in Maine and bought my dream home where I am now living.

fiddlehead
04-15-2015, 06:47
Yeah, legalities are just another blowdown on the trail of life.
Where there's a will, there's a way.

daddytwosticks
04-15-2015, 07:13
...see, that's the problem. It takes so much work and becomes too complicated to just walk away from civilization and do what the OP wants to do. It's as if the government knows if too many people are successful in what the OP is attempting, the system will fall apart. )

rocketsocks
04-15-2015, 08:21
...see, that's the problem. It takes so much work and becomes too complicated to just walk away from civilization and do what the OP wants to do. It's as if the government knows if too many people are successful in what the OP is attempting, the system will fall apart. )I would suggest it takes more work to stay and play...bills.

Bronk
04-15-2015, 11:39
I don't get all of this "you can't do it because you need an ID card or a credit card or pay taxes" stuff. There are hundreds of thousands of homeless in this country that don't do any of that.

rickb
04-15-2015, 12:27
Me neither.

In the age of the internet at libraries and such and access to everything from Turbo Tax On Line, to direct deposits, and pay by phone (or the click of a mouse) what could be more simple?

Especially if you have a good income from a pension.

The only complication I can think of is regarding your will. Might be worth speaking to your attorney about that. Rather than just leaving a copy with him, it mig make sense to have it on file with your state.

It would suck to lay to lay dieing from a rattlesnake bite in the backcountry thinking the money you earned from years of work at a high pressure job might be taken to help pay down national debt.

Voting is overrated for any individual-- no need to lose sleep over that.

Traveler
04-15-2015, 16:15
Voting is overrated for any individual-- no need to lose sleep over that.

Well off topic, but important nonetheless. Voting is the only thing as citizens we ask each other to do as a civic responsibility. A lot of people have died along the way so we can vote. Its hardly overrated, GW Bush got into the White House on 537 votes. What I do lose sleep over is the notion that we don't need to vote and the oligarchy will take good care of things. Everyone should exercise their right to vote, regardless of circumstances.

There are ways one can be "off the grid" and still have residency using services that aren't all that expensive as Old Hillwalker points out.

4eyedbuzzard
04-15-2015, 19:30
I don't get all of this "you can't do it because you need an ID card or a credit card or pay taxes" stuff. There are hundreds of thousands of homeless in this country that don't do any of that.
And almost all of them don't want to be in the situation they are in. Most homeless people are not happy with their situation.
And almost all of those who aren't homeless and/or destitute would prefer not having to foot the bill (through taxes) for their emergency medical care, emergency housing, food banks, etc. While not all of this is funded through taxes or increased costs (such as higher health care premiums and uninsured motorist premiums), MOST of it ultimately is.
One common theme I have found here on WB is that, with some obvious exceptions for those truly unable (NOT just unwilling), one should pay their own way in life if they are able, whether that be a thru-hike or otherwise. Obviously this doesn't apply to the few who are financially responsible and choose to live a more nomadic lifestyle, but most of those "hundreds of thousands of homeless" you cite don't fall into that self-sufficient category.

Traveler
04-16-2015, 06:38
And almost all of them don't want to be in the situation they are in. Most homeless people are not happy with their situation.
And almost all of those who aren't homeless and/or destitute would prefer not having to foot the bill (through taxes) for their emergency medical care, emergency housing, food banks, etc. While not all of this is funded through taxes or increased costs (such as higher health care premiums and uninsured motorist premiums), MOST of it ultimately is.
One common theme I have found here on WB is that, with some obvious exceptions for those truly unable (NOT just unwilling), one should pay their own way in life if they are able, whether that be a thru-hike or otherwise. Obviously this doesn't apply to the few who are financially responsible and choose to live a more nomadic lifestyle, but most of those "hundreds of thousands of homeless" you cite don't fall into that self-sufficient category.

+1 and well said.

Lyle
04-16-2015, 09:05
I basically did this for a year, but the previous year I saved money, so I could support my self frugally. I sold my car, furniture, most of my possessions, moved out of my apartment, transferred mail delivery to my sister's address. I found a temporary job when funds were dwindling. I backpacked for the year, could have gone on with this lifestyle if I wanted.

I have no problem with folks who adopt this lifestyle, but are not a burden to others. When I was young, health insurance wasn't as big of concern, now I would need to factor that into the equation. I learned how little I need (as a single person with no dependents) to be completely happy and comfortable. I've often wondered why more of the homeless folks do not move out of the cities, and just take up a vagabond lifestyle instead of trying to live on the streets in a metropolitan area. I guess many of the homeless have other issues that may preclude this option.

If others aren't depending on you, and you have gotten all your obligations in order, have a go at being a vagabond, nothing inherently wrong with the choice.