PDA

View Full Version : Cuben Fiber tarps in dense forests

misprof
04-12-2015, 20:05
I am just wondering if anyone has experience in using Cuben Fiber tents or tarps in dense forests, think Maine balsam areas with blackberry under growth. I live in New Zealand now and between gorse and bush lawyer (black berry family) in the under growth I am wondering if a CF tarp would hold up. I have asked around here but none seem to have even tried it.
Thank you everyone.

mudsocks
04-13-2015, 11:29
Whether cuban, silnylon or pu I always handle my tarps with great care. I haven't yet had any damage from thorny vegetation but I also tend to keep moving if I feel a site would compromise safety or comfort.

Cadenza
04-14-2015, 21:56
Cuben tarps will hold up as well as sil.
The only thing more durable would be canvas. (But who wants to carry that?!)

Seriously, it seems to me that the only people who question cuben are those who have yet to try it.
I happen to think it is awesome stuff. There is only one thing I don't like about it,....and that is the shiny finish.
Aesthetically, I prefer multicam silnylon. But sometimes the weight in my pack says I can deal with the shine.

SouthMark
04-15-2015, 22:55
No problem with mine in Maine.

egilbe
04-16-2015, 07:30
Nobody is going to pick a blackberry bramble to pitch a tarp in. That's just plain silly. Just keep moving down the trail until you find a spot with no blackberry brambles.

colorado_rob
04-16-2015, 08:32
Cuben fiber gear can take a lot of forms, but the Cuben made with Spectra is probably a lot stronger than Sil nylon. At least, that's part of my justification for spending way more than is reasonable for a couple pieces of Cuben gear...

I hadn't ever thought of where the word "Cuben" comes from, finally looked it up, kinda cool, came from "America-cubed", the name of the boat that won an America's Cup race back in the 90's using an earlier version of the fabric in its sails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuben_Fiber