PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Pain/Torn Tendon Advice

naturlred
04-12-2015, 21:08
I have been suffering with ankle pain for almost a year now. Recently I saw an Orth Dr. and after an MRI was told I have a torn tendon in my ankle. Right now I am in a immobilization boot for the next four weeks to see if it heals itself with the reduction of inflammation and movement. So far (one week in) the inflammation has really subsided and I can actually see my ankle bones again:) Although, I am curious to know if tendons can and will heal themselves or am I just wasting a month with this cumbersome boot and should just do surgery?

Anyone else suffer from this condition?
Did it heal itself with rest,boot,etc.?
Would or did you have surgery and what was the outcome?

Any advice you have will be appreciated.

Thank You

MuddyWaters
04-12-2015, 21:25
I have not had that injury. But I did completely tear my distal bicep tendon. With subsequent surgery and rehabilitation to get back to normal.

Tendons do repair themselves. The general protocol, is that for tears less than 50%, you allow it to heal. For tears > 50%, you do surgical repair. If they are willing to let it heal, its a minor tear by default.

There are a couple of stages to tendon repair that occur. But the thing to take away, is that it takes time. Tendons dont have much blood supply, and they heal slowly. Too much stress can completely undo the healing process. From what I recall, some new material gets deposited at the damaged site, but it isnt strong. After some period of time (weeks) it changes form and gets stronger . Follow PT instructions and Im sure you will be great.

For me first several weeks was just range of motion work to preserve ROM due to scar tissue formation. I think at 6 weeks I could start strengthening with 2 lbs. It was 6 months to get back to full strength.

There is probably a tendon rupture or damage forum for your particular injury if you google around. I learned so much from a forum that Drs didnt bother to tell me it wasnt funny.

HeartFire
04-13-2015, 05:24
I've turned my ankle more times than I can count, So far, I have refused to have surgery and wear a brace when ever hiking, but this last time I re-injured it - a few weeks ago, even though it seemed like a minor thing, the pain and swelling is persisting long after I think it should have been better. I know I need to have surgery on it eventually, but I will put it off as long as possible.

naturlred
04-13-2015, 06:57
I have been suffering with ankle pain for almost a year now. Recently I saw an Orth Dr. and after an MRI was told I have a torn tendon in my ankle. Right now I am in a immobilization boot for the next four weeks to see if it heals itself with the reduction of inflammation and movement. So far (one week in) the inflammation has really subsided and I can actually see my ankle bones again:) Although, I am curious to know if tendons can and will heal themselves or am I just wasting a month with this cumbersome boot and should just do surgery?

Anyone else suffer from this condition?
Did it heal itself with rest,boot,etc.?
Would or did you have surgery and what was the outcome?

Any advice you have will be appreciated.

Thank You

Thank you, i will have to check out some forums on this topic.

jfgillon
04-13-2015, 12:30
I assume it is your Achilles tendon and the immobilization is important. Equally and in some, what is more important is preventing excessive scarring during the 6 week to 6 month time period after the injury. All injuries undergo an inflammatory phase followed by repair and remodeling. In some, the repair phase is excessive and the remodel phase inadequate and the result is a painful, non mobile mass of scar tissue. This is easily managed through cross fiber massage, the technique is easy to do on your own.. If it is older than 12 weeks, the immobilization isnt as critical. Surgery may create additional scarring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

naturlred
04-13-2015, 13:11
I will research cross fiber massage. Thank you.

naturalred.wordpress.com