PDA

View Full Version : These cussed Resonating Vibrating trekking poles

ncmtns
04-12-2015, 21:25
I have several different models of trekking poles. Some are anti shock and some arent. All of them are three piece. All of them make that vibrating noise originating inside the poles when I hike with them. Drives me nuts. Anyone have a cure all solution? :confused:

MuddyWaters
04-12-2015, 21:41
I personally dont know what you are referring to.

But, some have wrapped thin layer of scotch tape around pole section where it inserts into upper section to reduce noise and vibration by taking up some clearance. You might try that. If its a real resonant frequency, I dont know.

Walkintom
04-12-2015, 22:14
Never had any issues of this sort. My poles have always been 2 piece extendable, though.

Franco
04-12-2015, 22:22
I have a clock on my desk next to my computer.
Most of the time I cannot ear it/notice the noise but if I think about it the clicking noise is there.
Could be something like that.

johnnybgood
04-13-2015, 00:22
I've heard some posters here complain about not liking the feel of anti-shock poles and wonder if that could be part of it. With the others it could be a case of the locking mechanism that creates dead space which causes vibration when your pole tip strikes the ground . Just thought I'd throw that out there as a possiblity.
Sounds like you're using twist locks since you referred to the poles as 3 piece sections. My old pair of twist locks were also 3 sectioned.

Traveler
04-13-2015, 05:26
I used to have noise in a set of Komperdell poles that had three piece twist locks and anti-shock. Over time the anti shock mechanism stopped working and the poles would vibrate annoyingly. The twist locks then became problematic so I switched to Black Diamond flick locks without any anti-shock and found I liked the poles better without anti shock, which I suspect was causing some of that noise you are talking about. I'm not sure if twist locks can allow the assembly to move around or make noise, but it does seem the flick locks are more positive. The new poles are silent.

Odd Man Out
04-13-2015, 09:32
I have BD three-piece poles with flick locks and no anti-shock. They will vibrate a little if I plant them firmly on a solid surface. I ignore it.