PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Trail closed

Bigfoot86
04-13-2015, 06:16
Arizona trail temporarily closed.

Just heard on the news that 9 hikers and 2 firefighters were stung over 50 times by some kind of bees and all of them had to go to the hospital.

garlic08
04-13-2015, 08:29
Do you have a link? Here's a link (http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2015/04/12/pinnacle-peak-hikers-sent-hospital-bees-attack/25678147/) to a story I found. It's on the Pinnacle Peak Trail in the McDowell Mts outside of Scottsdale, not on the Arizona Trail. As far as I can tell, the AZT is still open. Maybe there's another incident on the AZT but I couldn't find it.

In my search, I found a similar article for each of the past several years about this time of year. People get swarmed in town quite often, too. We older hikers will remember the 'killer bee' craze in the early 70s. It didn't get nearly as bad as feared, but Africanized bees are more aggressive and they are a fact of life in AZ.

pyroman53
04-13-2015, 08:46
Arizona trail temporarily closed.

Just heard on the news that 9 hikers and 2 firefighters were stung over 50 times by some kind of bees and all of them had to go to the hospital.

Just watching news this am and story is about Pinacle Peak Trail, an urban trail in Phoenix.

Bigfoot86
04-13-2015, 12:29
Ok, cause the news mentioned the Arizona trail didnt know it was a differnt trail. My bad

FlyFishNut
04-13-2015, 13:43
I was hiking once in Carefree, AZ (outside of Phoenix). I was standing on a rock formation just admiring the view and I heard (felt more than heard) a vibration or humming. I eased to the edge and looked over and there was a huge cave below the massive boulder / rock I was standing on and a massive swarm of godknowswhat kind of insects - but I knew it couldn't be good! I eased my way back and got the hell out of Dodge!

BTW - McDowell Mt is a beautiful spot. I had the chance to Mt Bike out there. I love the lack of humidity and the desert scenery. Was really cool. The only thing I was a little freaky about was the Cholla Cacti that were on the sides of the trail. Those are mean cacti. Calle the "Jumping Cactus" or Teddy Bear Cactus. Really pretty, but the spines are barbed. The thought of wiping out on my bike and rolling into one of these made me a bit uneasy....