PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Footwear on stream crossings.

BirdBrain
04-13-2015, 08:10
My choice and outlook on water crossings has changed over time. Just curious how others do it.

BirdBrain
04-13-2015, 08:47
Seeing that the poll is not filling up yet, I will take the opportunity to explain why I am asking. Hikers often debate between crocs and vivobarefoot for fording. A few choose other options. When I went through the 100 mile wilderness heading south, I used vivibarefoot. At the West Branch of the Pleasant River, I watched a guy trudge right through wearing his trail runners. My 1st day out of Monson, I hiked 17.9 miles to Moxie Lean-to. By the time I got to the final ford of the day, I was tired of changing shoes. I trudged right through. The grip was fantastic. I have been conflicted ever since. Half the time I leave my vivobarefoot behind. I am at the point where I value them more for camp then I do for fording.

drifter
04-13-2015, 09:06
I've always used the vivo's, guess it is nice having the option depending on the situation, weather etc.

nuknees
04-13-2015, 09:54
We have all seen the trail during rainy season...when it's more like a brook than a trail? When it's like that I know I just give in and trudge right on up and into it. If conditions are like this, my feet and boots/shoes are soaked anyway I would just forge right through crossing! When conditions are NOT wet/rainy...I would be weighting if I thought the weather was going to be nice enough so that my footwear would be at least 50% dry overnight...if so I might just trudge right one through with boots on in that case also! I wouldn't want to be spending the time having to change footwear that often either myself! Now, if the trails dry and it's only one or two crossings...I would probably change footwear into my teva sandals for the crossing.

Christoph
04-13-2015, 10:00
Whatever is on my feet at the time if it's nothing big and it's a quick crossing. If not, I always have some light running shoes for camp and stuff like this. I'll switch out from shoes to boots along trails as well to let em air out and dry.

tim.hiker
04-13-2015, 10:33
Crocs if you want to break a ankle I was on Forney creek and had to cross the creek many times and learned I need to find something better. I cant recommend what just what not....

Sarcasm the elf
04-13-2015, 11:46
If it's warm enough I just walk through in my trail runners. They have amazing grip and i consider them to be the safest option for crossing a stream. I don't often bring other shoes or sandals, so my options are that or barefoot.

I have brought watershoes on some winter trips just in case I needed to ford a stream, but just by luck I haven't needed them yet.

BirdBrain
04-13-2015, 12:02
Small poll sample so far. However, it is confirming a suspicion. Perspective hikers ask about footwear for fording. Often, the question is written in a way that presumes that you need another item. Given the fact that your feet are going to get wet anyways, I am fast settling on the opinion that one need not carry extra footwear for fording and that your trail runners offer the safest option. Having said that, I am still conflicted. I love getting out of my trail runners at camp. All this assumes it is warm enough to ford. You guys can have your snow hiking. I played enough in the snow before 18 for one lifetime.

wornoutboots
04-13-2015, 12:15
I put use my hiking shoes but that depends on the time of year & weather conditions. On the JMT I would walk right across with my shoes since it was very dry & warm conditins & my shoes needed a good dusting. In the winter, I'll remove my shoes/boots & socks & thoroughly dry off on the other side.

garlic08
04-13-2015, 12:20
One "other" option I recently learned and tried once so far is to use only your socks with your shoe insoles inside the socks.

illabelle
04-13-2015, 13:47
We've not encountered a serious ford yet. When we go to Maine late this summer, we'll have three fords, and plan to wear crocks through them. However, if we find out the trail is nothing but a wet muddy stream between fords, we may wish we'd just walked through in our boots.

RockDoc
04-13-2015, 15:19
Teva sandals.

RED-DOG
04-13-2015, 15:29
I wear my trail runners and just walk them dry.

Another Kevin
04-13-2015, 20:33
I bring cheap water shoes as camp shoes and sometimes I even put them on for stream crossings. More often, I think I can rock hop - and I'm wrong and go 'ploosh.' (Hey, Elf, how many times did I step in the Neversink trying to rock hop behind you?) Once my trail runners are soaked, I don't bother changing out of them. In that case, when I come to an actual ford, I wind up not using my water shoes.

BirdBrain
04-13-2015, 20:45
What type of water shoes AK? Inquiring minds are requiring a link.

Dwill1000
04-13-2015, 21:39
I have a pair of Hi-Tec water shoes that are much lighter than crocs. I've used them on many trips - they've saved my butt crossing rocky, slippery, fast-moving streams many times. They double as camp shoes, town shoes, etc.

Call me old fashioned, but I hike in waterproof ankle-high lightweight boots. I expect the AT to be a new kind of experience for me (all my hiking previous to now has been in the Sierras) and I expect I may switch to trail runners when the trails are ankle-deep water (as I've heard they get). If and when I switch to trail runners, I may send my Hi-Tec water shoes home. It's all going to be a learning experience.

bigcranky
04-13-2015, 21:52
Years ago when I wore big heavy leather boots, I needed something else to ford a creek. But with trail runners, I just walk across. No big deal, especially with wool socks, my feet and shoes dry quickly.

Another Kevin
04-13-2015, 21:59
What type of water shoes AK? Inquiring minds are requiring a link.

Durned if I know. Something that the shoe store had on clearance. My previous pair were Body Glove Riptide, I think. The current pair are similar looking (and seem to be similar performing) but they're some Chinese brand that I hadn't seen before or since.

Oh, and after my experiences in October on the (very, very wet) Northville-Placid Trail, I may be rethinking these. Wet trail runners weren't too bad. I'm not sure that these are worth the weight as late-night tree-watering shoes, which seems lately to be their primary purpose.

BirdBrain
04-13-2015, 22:15
I am going to venture a couple guesses. If this poll was taken 2 years ago, trudge right through would not be leading. If it was taken 2 years from now, trudge right through would be above 90%. I believe views are changing. Fording views have not caught up with trail runner views, but they are well on their way.

Just Bill
04-13-2015, 22:28
BB-
IMO, the trick is good socks. A nice thicker wool blend tends to make this less of an issue. If you don't blister easily a good hiking weight sock will usually squish out most of the mess and leave your feet relatively warm and dry. Like others mentioned- those long wet stretches or rainy days are often wetter than the occasional fording. In the summer I actually ford on purpose and give the shoes a good soaking to help stay cool.

Of course the trick only works if you have shoes that drain well and dry decent- most trail runners fit this. Beware some of the low top hikers- the extra rubber wrap that they put on where the upper meets the sole tends to hold water if there are no weep holes in it.

Also- as to Garlic's tip- I have also heard the flipside (mainly for boots). Take your insoles out and socks off and ford in your shoes. It works great for oiled leather boots. Probably just as well with tennis shoes, but laziness has always conquered curiosity for me on that score.

BirdBrain
04-13-2015, 22:39
Fast drying trail runners plus green Superfeet plus Darn Tough socks plus Body Glide Liquified Powder plus well maintained toenails equals happy feet.

joshuasdad
04-13-2015, 22:43
My favorite was to use water shoes (similar to crocs) + a microspike. I started carrying only one of the pair because I could still get decent traction by using one.

fiddlehead
04-13-2015, 23:15
My 2 cents:
It basically comes down to one factor:
How often do you stop for a break?

If you are one who stops every hour or less, you might want to consider something different on your feet for fords.
If you can go a few hours without stopping (and often do), then just use your hiking shoes and keep going until dry.

Always keep at least a pair of dry socks in your pack.
You can always stop and put them on and get in the bag if frostbite seems like it might be a problem.

When hiking the CDT, there were days when I did 15 fords.
No way would I want to stop and change shoes that many times.

Plus, your footing is much better in running shoes than it is in barefeet, neoprene booties/slippers, or similar.

And some of those fords were tough. (deep, long and fast moving water)

johnnybgood
04-14-2015, 00:02
Toward the end of a day or just prior to a lunch break I'm more apt to just trudge through without covering/taking off shoes. I agree about the need for duo dry socks .
I have calf high water resistant liners that can be slipped on over boots and tied for water crossings of more a few inches. Afterwards they get packed into a large ziplock.

mudsocks
04-14-2015, 00:40
I am sure to be among the anomalies in that once the ice starts breaking up my typical footwear is huaraches. Feet are completely dry in minutes. I do like to bring two pair of wool socks and will pull a pair on once the sun starts to go down or if my feet get cold.

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 01:18
I am sure to be among the anomalies in that once the ice starts breaking up my typical footwear is huaraches. Feet are completely dry in minutes. I do like to bring two pair of wool socks and will pull a pair on once the sun starts to go down or if my feet get cold.

You are not as anomalous as you think. When I am out for day hikes, I normally wear sandals. Most of my walking in Acadia has been in sandals. Makes for funky tan lines.

tim.hiker
04-14-2015, 07:41
surprised how many people will hike in wet shoes.

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 08:52
surprised how many people will hike in wet shoes.

Everyone hikes in wet shoes eventually. You will be hiking in wet shoes. The key is being prepared for that fact. I have never had a blister on my feet while hiking. I do not carry moleskin. I have seen feet in horrible condition because that person was not prepared for the fact that their feet were going to get wet. Coming out of the 100 mile wilderness, I saw several hurting hikers. Their plan was to avoid getting them wet. I embrace it.

tim.hiker
04-14-2015, 09:09
I get blister when I hike in wet shoes it has happen before , I just prepare the best I can by carry extra shoes that I can change into so I can hike with dry shoes,,, I am jealous that you never had a blister..

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 09:16
I get blister when I hike in wet shoes it has happen before , I just prepare the best I can by carry extra shoes that I can change into so I can hike with dry shoes,,, I am jealous that you never had a blister..

Do you clean your feet daily? Do you inspect and maintain them daily? Do you put Body Glide on them every morning? Do you wear Darn Tough socks? Do you hike in trail runners? Are your shoes a half size larger than your shoes at home? Do you wear Dirty Girl gaiters to keep debris out? Do you wear quality insoles? I do.

bigcranky
04-14-2015, 09:37
The trail is wet, the tall grass is wet, it rains a lot, there are giant mudholes. Even without stream crossings, my shoes are often wet. Good wool socks (Darn Tough) and synthetic light trail runners with a lot of mesh mean my feet dry relatively quickly, and are comfortable and warm while wet.

tim.hiker
04-14-2015, 10:20
Do you clean your feet daily? Do you inspect and maintain them daily? Do you put Body Glide on them every morning? Do you wear Darn Tough socks? Do you hike in trail runners? Are your shoes a half size larger than your shoes at home? Do you wear Dirty Girl gaiters to keep debris out? Do you wear quality insoles? I do.
sounds like you have it all planned out, thanks for the advice

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 10:51
sounds like you have it all planned out, thanks for the advice

You are welcome. Please keep in mind that this works for me. People are not carbon copies. You will have to find what works best for you. You will likely need to tweak things. I think I have given you food for thought by listing what works best for me.

Another Kevin
04-14-2015, 10:54
IMO, the trick is good socks. A nice thicker wool blend tends to make this less of an issue. If you don't blister easily a good hiking weight sock will usually squish out most of the mess and leave your feet relatively warm and dry. Like others mentioned- those long wet stretches or rainy days are often wetter than the occasional fording. In the summer I actually ford on purpose and give the shoes a good soaking to help stay cool.

Of course the trick only works if you have shoes that drain well and dry decent- most trail runners fit this. Beware some of the low top hikers- the extra rubber wrap that they put on where the upper meets the sole tends to hold water if there are no weep holes in it.

Also- as to Garlic's tip- I have also heard the flipside (mainly for boots). Take your insoles out and socks off and ford in your shoes. It works great for oiled leather boots. Probably just as well with tennis shoes, but laziness has always conquered curiosity for me on that score.

Yeah, when I decided "wet feet weren't that bad," I was in Darn Toughs (with thin polypro liners since I'm sensitive to even their wool), and lightweight trail runners (New Balance 610). But I didn't get them wet on purpose because mostly the water was pretty skanky. It was beaver country.

Superfeet don't absorb all that much water. I wouldn't bother taking them out. The foam insoles that the shoes came with, definitely I'd try to keep them dry.

Is there a ford in your future?

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 11:23
Yeah, when I decided "wet feet weren't that bad," I was in Darn Toughs (with thin polypro liners since I'm sensitive to even their wool), and lightweight trail runners (New Balance 610). But I didn't get them wet on purpose because mostly the water was pretty skanky. It was beaver country.

Superfeet don't absorb all that much water. I wouldn't bother taking them out. The foam insoles that the shoes came with, definitely I'd try to keep them dry.

Is there a ford in your future?

610's. That is the ticket. It gives me comfort when our hiking decisions agree. Now if I was not such a gram weenie, I would have comfort food like you.

Another Kevin
04-14-2015, 13:10

I haven't found Body Glide on my feet all that useful. I have a couple of known hotspots that I duct tape, and otherwise I just don't seem to blister with my current socks.

I haven't tried Dirty Girl gaiters. I have a pair of over-the-calf gaiters that I use in winter or on bushwhacks, where I want protection from nettles and blackberries, and snakes, if it comes to that. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never heard of anyone getting bitten through high gaiters. (Then again, most snakebite victims are bitten on the hand. Tell me that's the snake's fault.)

I wear the same size trail runners at home, but then again, I make it a point to carry a pack a couple of miles a day when I'm not out hiking. I guess that means my feet don't swell that much when I am hiking. I walk to and from work, and I carry a laptop computer, a few books, and a couple of water bottles in a day pack. That way I can be toting a decent pack weight without drawing stares. (Except in winter, when simply being out on the street walking draws stares.)

610's. That is the ticket. It gives me comfort when our hiking decisions agree. Now if I was not such a gram weenie, I would have comfort food like you.

You go a lot faster than I do, too. But I'd be a slowpoke in any case, so I might as well enjoy going slow.

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 13:25
I haven't found Body Glide on my feet all that useful.

Did you try this type?
Or this type?

I use the 2nd type.

They used to call the 2nd type Body Glide Liquefied Powder. I like the old name.

BirdBrain
04-14-2015, 17:33
So now that you guys have convinced me to leave my Vivobarefoot shoes behind, I am looking at a way to turn my Superfeet into camp shoes. Multiuse and all that. I have 2 thoughts. My first thought was shock cord loops. My second thought is nylon anklets. Going to test the anklets this weekend.

Deadeye
04-14-2015, 21:43
While others walk through the water, I prefer to walk on it. At least that's what my wife says I think.

CalebJ
04-15-2015, 09:12
I used to worry about shoes getting wet, but slowly realized over the last couple of years how small the issue really is. Getting into ultras in November that -always- seem to involve water crossings in the first few miles particularly cemented this in my mind. Even after a complete soaking, socks and shoes are relatively dry within a few miles and blisters have not been an issue.

colorado_rob
04-15-2015, 09:15
I don't worry about getting my light-hikers wet, but I do remove my socks and footbeds from the shoes before crossing, which greatly speeds up the drying process. No need for camp shoes if your hiking shoes are comfortable, and I sure don't see why anyone would hike in less than comfortable shoes!

Tundracamper
04-15-2015, 16:38
Are these trail-runners referred to above just running shoes for the trail, but you all are using them just for hiking? I used Merrell hiking shoes on my last section hike, but they stayed pretty damp after a hard rain. I'm wondering if a high-tech running shoe might dry faster. Just want to make sure I understand what you all are talking about. Can someone give me a specific model as an example? Thx.

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 16:42
I use New Balance 610's. Not sure how high tech they are. They have done fine from Baxter to Vermont. No way I am hiking in anything heavier than those.

bigcranky
04-15-2015, 17:48
Salomon XA Comp, Inov8 Roclite, that sort of thing. Synthetic, lots of mesh.

Sarcasm the elf
04-15-2015, 17:57
Are these trail-runners referred to above just running shoes for the trail, but you all are using them just for hiking? I used Merrell hiking shoes on my last section hike, but they stayed pretty damp after a hard rain. I'm wondering if a high-tech running shoe might dry faster. Just want to make sure I understand what you all are talking about. Can someone give me a specific model as an example? Thx.

These are what i use in warm weather for backpacking. Light weight synthetic, no leather, lots of mesh, lots of ventilation, dries fast. I also have a couple of pairs of real boots that I use when it's below freezing.

La Sportiva Wildcat
http://m.rei.com/product/781685/la-sportiva-wildcat-trail-running-shoes-mens