ki0eh
04-13-2015, 19:47
http://uncoveringpa.com/things-to-do-in-duncannon-pa

Spirit Walker
04-13-2015, 22:37
Don't forget 3Bs ice cream

fiddlehead
04-14-2015, 00:01
Oh boy, a cemetery and a old burned out bridge are highlights.
Nearby Hershey PA has a LOT more to offer of course. (but no Doyle)

garlic08
04-14-2015, 07:34
I pretty much walked right through Duncannon without stopping except for lunch at a diner with 1970s prices (in 2004).

In a similar vein there's a billboard outside Deming, NM (an alternate trail town on the CDT) that reads "Explore Deming!" My hiking partner quipped, "...and let us know if you find anything!"

peakbagger
04-14-2015, 08:14
I and others generally try to be positive about trail towns, its nice they are there and no one is going to get rich serving thru hikers so if the town can figure a way to survive why kick them.

teefal
04-14-2015, 08:41
Actually, the Sled Factory place looks fairly cool.

ki0eh
04-14-2015, 22:01
I would have definitely ranked 3B's above the winery too

oldwetherman
04-15-2015, 21:38
In 2013 there was a great barber shop/beauty salon just a short walk down from the Doyle that cut my hair for $5.00......not sure how many of the younger thru's would be interested though.

daveoleary
08-30-2015, 01:51
Have any of you stayed at the Riverfront Campground in Duncannon? http://www.riverfrontcampground.com/
I am planning a section hike starting in Duncannon, but I won't get up there until the evening without enough time to walk to a shelter/campsite.
It will be my first night so don't need to stay in the Doyle or another hotel. It looks like they have basic tent sites, I'm just wondering if they are hiker friendly since on their site, it looks like they focus on people who will be fishing in the Susquehanna & Juniata Rivers. Thanks!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
08-30-2015, 07:12
I and others generally try to be positive about trail towns, its nice they are there and no one is going to get rich serving thru hikers so if the town can figure a way to survive why kick them

Overall I found Ducannon to be a whole lot more hiker friendly than that city is the ATC Headquarters. At least that was my experience.

squeezebox
08-30-2015, 11:11
Nobody mentioned getting drunk in town as a highlight !!!
Sorry! my AA sponsor made me post that.

adamussg
09-29-2015, 11:03
Stay at 219! Mr. and Mrs. 219 are awesome and will let ya crash in their uard!

buckaroo007
11-12-2015, 06:40
219? could you elaborate more please.

ki0eh
11-12-2015, 09:33
Have any of you stayed at the Riverfront Campground in Duncannon? http://www.riverfrontcampground.com/
I am planning a section hike starting in Duncannon, but I won't get up there until the evening without enough time to walk to a shelter/campsite.
It will be my first night so don't need to stay in the Doyle or another hotel. It looks like they have basic tent sites, I'm just wondering if they are hiker friendly since on their site, it looks like they focus on people who will be fishing in the Susquehanna & Juniata Rivers. Thanks!

Sorry missed this before. Not the most upmarket type place (of course, nothing in Duncannon is). For tent campers a notable feature is the adjacent railway with trains rumbling around the curve screeching flanges all night.

Found a previous post about it here:

According to PENNDOT (ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/Bureaus/railfreight/VolI.pdf) at 122 million gross tons annually that is the most heavily trafficked rail line segment in PA.

Averaged over an 8 hour night that's 222,831,050 pounds of railroad cars rumbling by, give or take a gram or two.

kf1wv
11-12-2015, 14:51
Ya don't get much sleep at the campground with the trains rumbling through. I've both eaten and stayed at The Doyle -- any "indoors" is preferable when the weather really sux. To this hiker, the food at 3B Ice Cream is a real treat.

Sandy of PA
11-12-2015, 21:23
The Doyle is not going to break the bank, the folks are friendly and the food is good.

SkeeterPee
11-12-2015, 21:55
this is good timing. My first backpack trip a couple weekends ago was to this area. I am going back and hike west toward pine grove furnace state park. then my wife will join me for a couple days of day hiking. I am thinking we will stay the allenberry but hike up from duncannon to Hawk rock one day and to Peters Mountain a second day. sounds like some good opportunities for lunch/dinner in Duncannon

wornoutboots
11-13-2015, 10:50
Wonder why they didn't mention the 2-3 strip clubs & the "massage parlor"??? :rolleyes: :D