PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with a group and finding campsites

hellokiddo
04-13-2015, 21:06
I am hiking with a group of 6 others on the south end portion in Georgia (Springer Mnt. to Hawk Mnt. shelter) and some concerns have been raised in our planning that we might have issues finding campsites and that we should share tents. From what I have read, I don't feel too concerned about finding sites, even if we have to split up into two smaller groups to set up camp near each other.

Any thoughts from those with experience?

Thanks in advance!

Walkintom
04-13-2015, 21:20
Shouldn't be an issue. Never had a problem finding a spot to set up. There are times where I walked onwards because I didn't find a place that I liked (or was withing the rules of the locality I was in) but never where there just wasn't place that i could put my tent out if I wanted.

map man
04-13-2015, 21:26
If I remember right there was plenty of camping (and a water source) in the vicinity of Three Forks, about halfway in between Springer and Hawk Mountain Shelter. There was tons of room for tents around Hawk Mountain Shelter as well.

Slo-go'en
04-13-2015, 21:29
It depends on when you go. In a couple of weeks things will quiet down a lot there. This week and weekend will likely be very busy. Springer to Hawk is like one day. Are you really planing on going to Neel gap?

hellokiddo
04-13-2015, 21:37
It depends on when you go. In a couple of weeks things will quiet down a lot there. This week and weekend will likely be very busy. Springer to Hawk is like one day. Are you really planing on going to Neel gap?

While we've backpacked before as a group, the most we've done in hilly terrain with multiple inclines has been 4-6 miles, with fully loaded packs. So we are going to take our first ever AT section hike super easy so we don't bite off more than we can chew ;) The way it's set up is that we can hike more miles per day if we want but our current itinerary is set at 4-5 miles a day.

tl:dr - We do not plan on hiking to Neel Gap :)

hellokiddo
04-13-2015, 21:38
Thanks for the awesome feedback! For those who've hiked with groups, do you usually have to set up camp far from one another? We are going for the who "power in numbers" thing so we want to stay close, or at least split up into two smaller groups that can stay close.

2Ply
04-13-2015, 21:44
Most of our group snores pretty loud so we tend to spread out a bit.

gsingjane
04-14-2015, 08:44
Hi, I tend to take groups of around 10-12 and at least in Connecticut, we have never had any difficulty at all in camping at either a group site or a shelter site. As it sounds like you are planning, we don't ever plan to stay in the shelter itself, just on the grounds around it, and as I say... never an issue. Now my groups do usually share tents, 3 or at least 2 to a tent, and if you have to set up solo tents for people I guess you'll occupy a little more space, but I still think you'll have no problem. Have fun and good luck with the group!

Jane in CT