PDA

View Full Version : Tips for gasoline stove

Aaron l
04-14-2015, 05:16
Hi everyone! My father recently bequeathed upon me a super cool Enders "baby", it's in great condition and I'm in the process of replacing the pump parts and washers. I have never used a stove that needed to be pumped and primed, or have I ever back pack with gasoline. Any and all tips for using/storing the stove (stink control) and saftey will be much appreciated! Thanks you all!

Tuckahoe
04-14-2015, 06:04
Is this the stove?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YarCVxywNVg

Not much advice that I can specifically offer other than to pay attention when priming the stove. I have seen some folks with similar stoves send up impressive fireballs.

PS -- what part of Chesapeake? I grew up in Great Bridge.

Aaron l
04-14-2015, 06:13
Yes that the one, haha I watched that same video,I was thinking about priming with alcohol to be on the safe side. And I bet you've heard of shillelagh rd.

Tuckahoe
04-14-2015, 06:44
Wasn't that stove made to use Coleman gas, with the ability to burn gasoline as an alternative when Coleman fuel was not available? If that is in fact the case I would skip using gasoline.

When I used a Svea I would have a small dropper bottle with enough fuel for several primings. That way I could get the priming fuel right where I wanted it and not over prime.

And yes I know Shillelagh Rd. I lived off Cedar Rd in Pines of Warrick.

Aaron l
04-14-2015, 07:25
I'm not sure about that, the original instructions say "unleaded gasoline" but I've read that white gas/Coleman fuel is just very refined gasoline that burns cleaner without the additives and larger hydrocarbons of gas station gas.

i know that neighborhood, do you ever visit? It's changed a lot around here (walmarts!) even in the 15yrs I've been here, but you go down dominion blvd just a bit and it's some of the best cycling in Hampton roads in my opinion

fiddlehead
04-14-2015, 10:16
Yeah, If you are going to use unleaded, keep the jet clean.
maybe every 3rd or 4th day. Get a welders cleaning kit and the correct size wire from that.

I had a Svea blow up on me (well it didn't blow but the flames were 6 feet high and it was toast after that), from using unleaded and not Coleman in it.

But, that looks like a great stove.
And if it works for unleaded, you've got yourself what looks like a lightweight backpacking stove with the cheapest fuel out there.

peakbagger
04-14-2015, 10:42
Be careful, 99.9% of the unleaded gas in the US contains ethanol. It will eat the seals in a heartbeat rendering the stove useless very quickly. Stick to white gas or find a source of av gas.

Slo-go'en
04-14-2015, 10:56
Definitely stick to white gas (coleman fuel). Unleaded, even before it was spiked with ethanol, burns a lot dirtier and tends to clog up the burner.

I once used unleaded in my SEVA stove and it gummed it up so bad I had to rebuild it and swore nothing but white gas would ever go in it again.

swjohnsey
04-14-2015, 12:36
According to the Coleman site, Coleman fuel burns hotter. I use mostly unleaded gas in my Coleman 442 and my MSR Dragonfly, Wisperlite and Simmerlite. Never had a problem. I do change the O-rings occasionally. I have some spare O-rings that I am going to soak in pump gas to see if there is any effect.

atraildreamer
04-14-2015, 13:16
Yes that the one, haha I watched that same video,I was thinking about priming with alcohol to be on the safe side. And I bet you've heard of shillelagh rd.

My Optimus 8-R was easily primed.

Use a plastic eyedropper and take some gas out of the COLD tank and put it in the priming tray. Light the gas in the priming tray and let it burn for 10-15 seconds and then open the valve on the stove.

BTW, make sure all your seals are in good shape and not dried out. Try Googling your stove model for a source of replacement seals and other components.

Aaron l
04-15-2015, 08:12
Thanks everyone! I think I will use the Coleman fuel, but if it's unavailable it's pretty cool to have a back up plan with regular gasoline. Trail dreamer I did find a pump kit on amazon that should be here today or tomorrow, it came with some gaskets and a leather pump thingy

atraildreamer
04-15-2015, 11:37
Thanks everyone! I think I will use the Coleman fuel, but if it's unavailable it's pretty cool to have a back up plan with regular gasoline. Trail dreamer I did find a pump kit on amazon that should be here today or tomorrow, it came with some gaskets and a leather pump thingy

My stove is 40+ years old. I still have a 32oz aluminum fuel bottle with some Amoco (Amoco was the only station selling it back then.) unleaded gas in it. I remember the look on the attendant's face when I held the bottle out to him and asked him to "fill it up!" :eek: I think it came to 23 cents, that is $0.92/gallon. :eek: Those were the days! :rolleyes:

Aaron l
04-16-2015, 09:32
I'm still waiting on the parts, but I'll post some pics when they come and maybe a video. I know I'm a nerd but this thing is soo cool!