PDA

View Full Version : Mail Drop Abduction

nuknees
04-14-2015, 09:49
I'm wanting to mail drop to hostels or hotels rather than USPS simply for convenience because they are open 24-7. I'm wondering how secure is my mail drop at a hostel? Has anyone experienced that their package left with someone else (stolen) or found it was opened (by someone) and contents ransacked?

Walkintom
04-14-2015, 09:56
I had a pair of shoes that were supposedly delivered to a hostel that were not able to be found. I had a second package delivered that same day via a different carrier to the same hostel and it was a warranty replacement for my cell phone which cost several times as much as the shoes and was very obviously a cell phone from the packaging. Since it was not only more expensive but a more universally useful item than the shoes and was not missing, I believe the missing shoes were a carrier error rather than being stolen.

I have not heard of anyone having issues with their mail drops being tampered with though getting that mail drop is always a worry niggling at the back of my head until I have my hands on it. I've spent some time examining my mail drop usage and benefit and I decided to avoid mail drops except when I really NEED them going forward as most of mine have been not really needed.

Slo-go'en
04-14-2015, 10:38
I've never heard of a problem, but no doubt there have been isolated incidents. Usually the boxes are just stacked off in a corner and when you ask for your box they tell you to look through the stack. You either find it or you don't. If you don't maybe it got misplaced, didn't arrive or someone else took it. Most hostels don't keep records of what shows up or who took a box. That's way too much trouble to deal with.

One thing to keep in mind is if for some reason you don't pick up your box, you will likely never see it. You should put a date on the box as to when they can expect you to pick it up by. If the box is still taking up space a few weeks past your expected to arrive date, chances are good the contents of your box will end up in the hiker box.

If you send your box to the Post Office, they will return it to the return address after a month or you can ask them to forward it to another PO.

LuckyMan
04-14-2015, 16:24
At one hostel in Colorado the owner's dog broke open my box and ate some of my food. It might have been attracted by olive oil that had leaked. The owner was very apologetic and offered to pay for any food eaten, but I still had enough food so there was no problem. Unfortunately the dog didn't devour any of the dried fruit I packed in every resupply and was sick of eating.

SawnieRobertson
04-14-2015, 16:38
I left the trail with an injury that continues to affect my gait. So disheartened, I did not pick them up. One hostel held the one that it had.ef then gave it to a hiker. When Stonewall was murdered, the register had been signed with my name. The FBI listed me as someone they would like to interview.

peakbagger
04-14-2015, 18:50
I was at the rather run down motel in Atkins (right next to the interstate) when a couple came in to pick up a package that contained special food as one of them had severe food allergies. The package wasnt there. A hiker has picked it up previously and had taken what they wanted and dumped the rest in the hiker box. The boxes were stored in room away from the office and the desk clerk just handed the key to anyone who said they had a box there.

I have run into a couple of other locations where there wasnt much control over boxes.

TOW
04-14-2015, 18:57
I lock up any mail drops and usually require an ID. I sure hope I never have an issue

nuknees
04-14-2015, 19:17
I lock up any mail drops and usually require an ID. I sure hope I never have an issue

Thanks CL! That kind of consideration is worth a good tip in my book. I sure hope I do make it down to your place this attempt! Looking forward to meeting you! :)

TOW
04-14-2015, 20:21
Thanks CL! That kind of consideration is worth a good tip in my book. I sure hope I do make it down to your place this attempt! Looking forward to meeting you! :)
Look forward to meeting you as well....

Wanderingventurer
04-15-2015, 18:33
I have routinely used both hostels and hotels. I have only had one instance at a hostel (that is no longer in business) where my mail drop disappeared. Just be mentally prepared for the potential “worst case”.

Starchild
04-17-2015, 07:03
Isolated incidents, I heard one hiker claim a package with his upcoming supply of pot went MIA at a hostel drop. I had a resupply package at AMC Moheagian Center 'withheld' from me, I believe intentionally to get me to wait for 'today's' mail and buy food from them, perhaps even pay for a stay there, and others have reported not getting expected packages there.

So one mishap delivery for me in total and ofter got care packages along the way as well as bouncing stuff. I always looked to send to a place open every day.

The security of each place varied to needing to show ID to 'check in the back room', that's where we keep them all. Most are pretty causal about it.

Don H
04-17-2015, 08:06
I was at the rather run down motel in Atkins (right next to the interstate) when a couple came in to pick up a package that contained special food as one of them had severe food allergies. The package wasnt there. A hiker has picked it up previously and had taken what they wanted and dumped the rest in the hiker box. The boxes were stored in room away from the office and the desk clerk just handed the key to anyone who said they had a box there.

I have run into a couple of other locations where there wasnt much control over boxes.

You've got to be talking about the Relax Inn in Atkins. I had the exact opposite experience when I a pair of shoes sent there. The clerk wouldn't even go get the box until I paid the $5 fee. The room he went to was behind the counter.

pokifer
04-17-2015, 09:11
Never. Hostels are pretty good about packages.

pokifer
04-17-2015, 09:17
I take my "never"back. At the comfort Inn in Harpers Ferry the overweight front desk clerk would not go check the boxes.( Too much effort) A day later after my insistence that it was there, she found it. Shook me up a bit but persistence paid off.