PDA

View Full Version : Repacking MH meals

Grunt
04-14-2015, 12:50
I've been breaking down my Mountain House meals into freezer bags for 8+ years, and have often wondered once you break the MH package how long will they last in freezer bags? I'm sure they are good for a couple weeks but I did keep one in a freezer bag for 4-6 months and thought it would be good, however, it had spoiled and my D... A.. ate it and was attacked by the gut banshee that night and hiked for 2 days squizing the cheeks. I like to prepare a couple weeks in advance and was wondering if that is reasonable for repackaging your meals? Heading to Trout Creek for a section-hike to Big Island, Va in 10 days.

Walkintom
04-14-2015, 13:37
I think 2 weeks would probably be ok. I often keep jerky longer than that and though the prep methods are very different I'd be willing to try something freeze dried that had been rebagged for 2 weeks.

About 3-4 weeks and I would start getting a little iffy about it and much more than a month I'd just walk away.

Story
04-14-2015, 13:46
I've been doing the same thing for years. I often keep my MH meals in freezer bags for several months before taking them on the trail with me. I've never ran into any issues - though establishing a safe "time-frame" might be a solid idea! I packed a few last October and took them out last week - they taste fine. My opinion: keep it air-tight, keep it sealed, and make sure no moisture gets in!

LoneStranger
04-14-2015, 13:49
Curious which flavor MH caused the issue if you don't mind sharing? I have eaten Breakfast Skillets long after splitting them up without issue. They didn't get any better, but at least they didn't get any worse :)

4eyedbuzzard
04-14-2015, 13:52
As soon as you open it and handle it you introduce (at least the possibility of) moisture, mold spores, bacteria, etc. into the mix. And there's no way you can handle it in as clean a manner as when it was originally packaged. I wouldn't repackage it until the last day prior if possible. Repackaging it the day before might not be the most convenient - but it's more convenient than dealing with an unpleasant outcome.

colorado_rob
04-14-2015, 14:05
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've repackaged FD meals months in advance, never caught anything that I noticed, at least. After reading this thread, I'll be more moderate with "expiration", but I still think a month is just fine, especially if you leave the oxidizer thing in the freezer bag.

Grunt
04-14-2015, 14:07
Chicken Alfredo.... Mixed with rain water off roof of shelter. Spilled some on my shirt and it smelled like a baby bottle left in a hot car.. I knew I was in trouble

peakbagger
04-14-2015, 14:13
You can buy the oxygen absorber packs in bulk and put them into the new packages. Of course once you open the bulk package of oxygen absorbers you need to reseal it

LoneStranger
04-14-2015, 14:55
Chicken Alfredo.... Mixed with rain water off roof of shelter. Spilled some on my shirt and it smelled like a baby bottle left in a hot car.. I knew I was in trouble

I had a feeling it was a white sauce, but had my money on the stroganoff. Dairy is definitely unstable once opened. I take special care with my Nido for that reason.

Damn Yankee
04-14-2015, 15:18
As soon as you open it and handle it you introduce (at least the possibility of) moisture, mold spores, bacteria, etc. into the mix. And there's no way you can handle it in as clean a manner as when it was originally packaged. I wouldn't repackage it until the last day prior if possible. Repackaging it the day before might not be the most convenient - but it's more convenient than dealing with an unpleasant outcome.

+1 on this and maybe putting them in the freezer after repackaging but, would still only divide just prior to trip.

Obiwan
06-10-2015, 17:20
I repack all my MH meals using a foodsaver to save bulk and weight. I leave the oxy absorber packet in the meal because I like the way they taste after boiling :-) I had a left over rice/chicken meal one year that I used a year later on a different trip and it was fine. But to be safe, I usually repack them about a week before the trip

Harrison Bergeron
06-10-2015, 18:48
I don't get it. They're already in an excellent freezer bag. Why would you want to divide them up into more (and inferior for cooking) freezer bags?

Just cook/cozy the first half of the bag in your 12 oz insulated coffee mug and reseal the other half for the next night. It'll for sure keep for one night after opening. It won't kill you to have to rinse out your coffee mug every other day.

Besides, it's only for a couple of weeks, until your appetite kicks in and you start eating the whole 2.5 servings in one sitting, anyway.

MuddyWaters
06-10-2015, 19:45
Not a problem. I do it before I mail out resupplies, but they sell 10lb cans of stuff, its not expected to be used all at once. It will easily last months if you keep it closed up and dry. Leave the O2 scavenger in it . I repackage, the put the ziplocks inside the cleaned out foil bag from the first meal. Your carrying the trash anyway, might as well use it. works fine.

I don't get it. They're already in an excellent freezer bag. Why would you want to divide them up into more (and inferior for cooking) freezer bags?

Besides, it's only for a couple of weeks, until your appetite kicks in and you start eating the whole 2.5 servings in one sitting, anyway.

You obviously have never tried to pack 7 into a food bag. They are extremely bulky. You cut the bulk by about 70% by repackaging, and also end up with no hard sharp corners , etc. It simply packs much easier.

Eat half a dinner.???..thats like 300 calories. That must be a joke.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-10-2015, 23:25
Glad I stumbled upon this. I just repackaged a couple MH meals into freezer bags to be used next week. We shall see, but just in case I'm taking extra Imodium.

daddytwosticks
06-11-2015, 07:20
I've been doing this for years myself. As a section hiker who usually only goes out for 3 or 4 day hikes max, my appetite never kicks in. Half a MH meal is fine for me. I store the second part in the freezer and it's fine for a few months if double bagged. Now Wal-mart carries MH meals in single serve size. Pricey but convenient. :)