PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendations on hiking poles

TREX1
04-14-2015, 15:32
Never had any. I am 6'6" if that makes a difference.

These are available at Costco.

http://www.costco.com/Yukon-Charlie%27s-Carbon-Trekking-Poles.product.100124952.html

Wanderingventurer
04-14-2015, 21:35
I am only 6’3”, but my Leki Corklite Trekking Poles work wonderfully for me and there are a couple of inches to spare after I get them adjusted. They should work for you.
http://www.rei.com/product/881622/leki-corklite-trekking-poles-pair

swjohnsey
04-15-2015, 04:39
Not any more. The flip lock system developed by Black Diamond and copied by Leki seems to work the best. Poles will take a beating. Whatever you get plan on replacing tips a time or two.

rocketsocks
04-15-2015, 07:04
I think I'm going back to using saplings...so much cheaper, and readily available.

Walkintom
04-15-2015, 08:42
Black Diamond Trail. They have a great lock and are a four season durable pole at a decent price - about $100 regularly priced.

I like everything about this pole and mine are over a year old without any issues from wear and tear. Probably about 500 miles on them from Isle Royale to snowshoeing.

Dholmblad
04-15-2015, 11:16
REI brand is pretty nice

Rain Man
04-15-2015, 11:25
Your link does not work.

Whatever poles you get, make sure the handles are comfortable. After all, they'll be in your hands all day long. :)

K.Keck
04-15-2015, 11:31
I would defiantly recommend something with the flick lock. They break far less easy than those trekking poles that screw tight as well as stay tight more often. I have been using the same pair of BD contour elliptic trekking poles for the past 3 years and 600 miles later they are still working fine. One got a little bent when I slipped down a down hill and it saved my butt, but it still works fine. Which is another thing carbon fiber poles with snap if you tweak them to much, where aluminum will bend a good amount before breaking. But like everything in backpacking it is all a matter of opinion as well as your price range. I have had friends who have used the poles from walmart for $15, and they had some complains but not a lot. They still did the job. But if your an ultralight freak like I am then go light with gossamer gear. They are great but expensive.

Farr Away
04-15-2015, 12:50
If you've never had them (ever used them?), I'd recommend buying one of the WalMart hiking poles, and see how you like using it. Then go from there.

-FA

Gray Bear
04-15-2015, 13:06
I've had both aluminium and carbon fiber. Both Black Diamond with cork handles. I'm over 250# so I'm not a light weight and I'm not one to baby gear. Both poles held up very well under lots of miles in the Whites in NH. I'd be very happy with either if I had to buy again. Having said that the aluminum is a fair bit cheaper and the weight savings over the CF isn't enough for me to notice. When I lost one of my aluminium poles BD couldn't get me a replacement so they sole me the CF as dealer cost, free shipping. I've heard Leki is very good with their customer service as well.

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 13:13
If you've never had them (ever used them?), I'd recommend buying one of the WalMart hiking poles, and see how you like using it. Then go from there.

-FA

I did that. Still using them. I will buy some real ones someday.... maybe.

Astro
04-15-2015, 15:52
Leki Corklite Speedlock

http://shop.leki.com/en/product.php?product_id=62730

Lyle
04-15-2015, 17:03
PacerPole - very unique, very effective, great company. Highly recommended, especially great for downhill assistance, what is most important for joint health.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

gbolt
04-15-2015, 18:00
Leki Corklite Speedlock

http://shop.leki.com/en/product.php?product_id=62730

+1 Purchased this exact set. Great Grips, silk handles, and easy flick lock adjustments. Wait for best sale price and jump on them. You won't regret it and Leki has great customer service.

TREX1
04-15-2015, 21:52
Your link does not work.

Whatever poles you get, make sure the handles are comfortable. After all, they'll be in your hands all day long. :)

Yep it appears they are suddenly out of stock. May be a blessing. They were under $50

shelb
04-16-2015, 00:06

-FA

Agreed - unless you are planning Thru... Walmart poles can only be depended on for about 50-100 miles.

BirdBrain
04-16-2015, 00:14
Agreed - unless you are planning Thru... Walmart poles can only be depended on for about 50-100 miles.

Don't agree. ;) I have done Maine and NH and 42 of New England's 67 4000' hills with mine so far. I will be doing the Long Trail with mine this year. They are not to be compared with better poles, but don't underestimate them.

Grampie
04-16-2015, 08:49
I would definately go with a Liki pole. My Liki poles went my whole thru, and still going strong, with no problems. Liki uses a carbide tip that whears great. I would recommend replacing the tips when you get to the Whites. the new tips realy work nice on the rocks. Parts are available at most outfitters.

colorado_rob
04-16-2015, 09:21
Just one other opinion... after using a flick-lock setup for years, I now like the ease and lightweight aspects of a fixed length (but still collapsible) pole. I know lots of people say they like adjusting their poles' length when going up vs. down/level, but I found myself always using the same length, and just adjusting my arm-angle. The trails I hike are constantly going up/down, if I adjusted every terrain change that would be dozens of times a day!

I settled on the black diamond aluminum version of their Z-poles. They fold into thirds for easy storing and are crazy light. I use the 120cm and I'm 6'1", so maybe 130cm would work.

BirdBrain
04-16-2015, 10:10
Just one other opinion... after using a flick-lock setup for years, I now like the ease and lightweight aspects of a fixed length (but still collapsible) pole. I know lots of people say they like adjusting their poles' length when going up vs. down/level, but I found myself always using the same length, and just adjusting my arm-angle. The trails I hike are constantly going up/down, if I adjusted every terrain change that would be dozens of times a day!

I settled on the black diamond aluminum version of their Z-poles. They fold into thirds for easy storing and are crazy light. I use the 120cm and I'm 6'1", so maybe 130cm would work.

I have been tempted by that option for some time. I have almost pulled the trigger several times. However, I can't make up my mind on length. I set my cheap Wal*Mart pole length by forming a right triangle. I hold my poles with my arms bent at a 90° angle having my forearms parallel to the ground. This forms the triangle. One side is my elbow to pole grip length. Another side is my elbow to the ground length. The last side is the hypotenuse which is formed from my hand grip to the center of my foot strike. This is the length I set my poles. I have no clue what that length is. That length is where I start. I shorten them a bit on the steep ups and lengthen them a bit on the steep downs. This has created wear points that are visible. I no longer have to check lengths. Long OCD explanation to come to my issue. I do not know what size to get. I do not know which length is the most important and which lengths I can adjust my hiking style to. Any recommendations?

colorado_rob
04-16-2015, 10:20
I have been tempted by that option for some time. I have almost pulled the trigger several times. However, I can't make up my mind on length. I set my cheap Wal*Mart pole length by forming a right triangle. I hold my poles with my arms bent at a 90° angle having my forearms parallel to the ground. This forms the triangle. One side is my elbow to pole grip length. Another side is my elbow to the ground length. The last side is the hypotenuse which is formed from my hand grip to the center of my foot strike. This is the length I set my poles. I have no clue what that length is. That length is where I start. I shorten them a bit on the steep ups and lengthen them a bit on the steep downs. This has created wear points that are visible. I no longer have to check lengths. Long OCD explanation to come to my issue. I do not know what size to get. I do not know which length is the most important and which lengths I can adjust my hiking style to. Any recommendations?You should be able to tell what lengths your adjustable pole is, the ones I've seen have length indicators on the telescoping pieces. If you're at Walmart looking, just carry one over to hardware, borrow a measuring tape and measure! Most tapes have both inches and centimeters. I betcha 120CM works for most folks between 5'8" and my height, 6'1". My wife uses 110 CM (she is 5-5). If I were any taller than 6'1" I'd probably use 130CM. Those are the three sizes BD z-poles come in (110, 120 and 130cm).

BirdBrain
04-16-2015, 10:26
You should be able to tell what lengths your adjustable pole is, the ones I've seen have length indicators on the telescoping pieces. If you're at Walmart looking, just carry one over to hardware, borrow a measuring tape and measure! Most tapes have both inches and centimeters. I betcha 120CM works for most folks between 5'8" and my height, 6'1". My wife uses 110 CM (she is 5-5). If I were any taller than 6'1" I'd probably use 130CM. Those are the three sizes BD z-poles come in (110, 120 and 130cm).

Thank you. I know you are trying to help. I know that I am being confusing. Let me try to be less so. My poles get set to 3 different lengths depending if I am hiking a steep up, steep down, or anything in between. I am not sure which length I cannot live without and/or which length I can learn to live with all the time. I should measure my poles to see where they compare to the available options. I will start there.

Farr Away
04-16-2015, 11:01
I did that. Still using them. I will buy some real ones someday.... maybe.

I did the same thing.

BirdBrain
04-16-2015, 11:20
I did the same thing.

Where are you now? What do you use now? Any insight to a person going the path you did?

TREX1
04-16-2015, 11:31
OK the Lekis are $119 shipped on Amazon. Will look at the Walmart next time I am there. Thanks for all the help

Farr Away
04-23-2015, 11:50
Where are you now? What do you use now? Any insight to a person going the path you did?
I bought the WalMart poles to try out using hiking poles - love them, they've made hiking much easier on my knees and also help with balance, but I'm a section hiker and haven't seen any compelling reasons to replace the cheap poles yet. If I were to see a pair of Lekis at a garage sale or Goodwill though, I'd probably get them.

-FA

10SEns
04-23-2015, 13:42
PacerPole - very unique, very effective, great company. Highly recommended, especially great for downhill assistance, what is most important for joint health.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

+1 on PacerPoles - My only non-negotiable gear.