PDA

View Full Version : Hike For Homes

jarofkla
04-15-2015, 07:18
It's our 5th anniversary! We've been section hiking the A.T. in an attempt to raise funds for the Appalachia Service Project. With over 250 miles in Virginia & $5,000 in donations, we need help this year raising over $1,000 online! Take a look and see the effort made to support the families of Appalachia!

http://www.haygoodumc.com/ministry/hike-for-homes

We have a fundraising site at: http://www.crowdrise.com/hikeforhomes2015

Hot Flash
04-15-2015, 10:07
It's our 5th anniversary! We've been section hiking the A.T. in an attempt to raise funds for the Appalachia Service Project. With over 250 miles in Virginia & $5,000 in donations, we need help this year raising over $1,000 online! Take a look and see the effort made to support the families of Appalachia!

http://www.haygoodumc.com/ministry/hike-for-homes

We have a fundraising site at: http://www.crowdrise.com/hikeforhomes2015

On neither site do I see a breakdown of how the money is used, including what percentage of the money raised goes to the project. This is a huge red flag for me and for many other people, especially since you are representing a religious organization. To me, that implies "We'll help you but you have to let us preach about our imaginary friend to you."

Studlintsean
04-15-2015, 10:21
Just an FYI Hotflash is very anti religion (see post above). We are not all as nasty. Good luck.

Starchild
04-15-2015, 11:44
On neither site do I see a breakdown of how the money is used, including what percentage of the money raised goes to the project. This is a huge red flag for me and for many other people, especially since you are representing a religious organization. To me, that implies "We'll help you but you have to let us preach about our imaginary friend to you."
Don't know why you are having trouble with this, this appears to be ministry work that is funded through donations for a stated purpose, in this case raising awareness and hopefully get more funds and involvement flowing for the project. It's God's calling for them, it's the place God has put them, it will either work or it won't work, but there it is pretty much laid out.

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 11:55
Don't know why you are having trouble with this, this appears to be ministry work that is funded through donations for a purpose, in this case rasising awarness and hopefully get more funds flowing for the project. It's God's calling for them, it's the place God has put them, it will either work or it won't work, but there it is pretty much laid out.

Her trouble is not with them or any person doing anything remotely similar. Her trouble is with God. Take her God bashing with a grain of salt. Her battle is not with people.

God bless you Randall and your efforts.

John B
04-15-2015, 12:14
As a godless commie, I'd also like to see data from anyone or any group doing fund raising that demonstrates what percentage of money raised goes to its stated purpose and what percentage goes to .... uh.... administrative costs. As did Hotflash, I looked at both websites and didn't see that info. Did I overlook it?

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 12:29
As a godless commie, I'd also like to see data from anyone or any group doing fund raising that demonstrates what percentage of money raised goes to its stated purpose and what percentage goes to .... uh.... administrative costs. As did Hotflash, I looked at both websites and didn't see that info. Did I overlook it?

Somehow when you raised the question, I was able to see the point more clearly. I think there is a fatigue factor with HF. I think we operate from bias. You assume the possibility of profiting. That is a valid concern. Being a Christian who often gives to people in need, I assume the opposite. My experience tells me that we give more than the public would believe and that anything that comes in is safe. Let me be the 1st to say that my bias may have blinded me. Yours is a valid question. I think my assumption is correct. It is likely that the hikers donate more than their time. Given the amount of schemes out there, you have every right to be skeptical.... Godless commie or not. :D

jarofkla
04-15-2015, 12:32
It's understandable that there is some skepticism. I assure you this effort is valid in all aspects.

Here is CrowdRise's policy on the charges they tender for the site usage:

https://www.crowdrise.com/#why

And here is Appalachia Service Project's financials for the last several years.

http://www.asphome.org/display.asp?page=financials

I've been involved with Appalachia Service Project (ASP) for 18 years. I started when I was 16 and now I'm 40. I have helped repair homes for many families in the Appalachian valley and seen the work and the result of the labor and the relationships.

Even if you are not a God-person, you should get behind an effort to help families struggling at the poverty line in an economically depressed area. They opportunities are limited, but their hearts are limitless.

I just had a "epiphanal" moment a few years back when I felt a leading to combine two great passions in my life 1) hiking the A.T. and 2) ASP. Now we are on year 5 and loving the trail experiences, just as all of you do, and the fact that we are helping a great cause is icing on the cake!

Hope everyone can get behind a good cause like this.

John B
04-15-2015, 12:47
So, based on the 2013 report, about 15% of money donated goes for administrative and fund raising costs?

jarofkla
04-15-2015, 12:53
Looks about right.

CharityNavigator is a third-party site that evaluates many charities and they gave ASP high marks for it's use of the donations given.

Here is a breakdown of their financial review.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=8697#.VS6Th5PMpyR

Hot Flash
04-15-2015, 15:53
I don't have a problem with charity, I have a problem with calling something charity if there are strings attached. True charity is given freely without any obligation. If that's what this charity is doing, that's fine. However, I have volunteered many times for various charities run by religious organizations and seen how people who just need food and clothes for their children are subjected to proselytization in order to get it.

Religion is personal, people should keep it to themselves. If someone has the right to mention their religion, then I have the right to mention that it's irrational. If someone is advertising for their religious charity, it's only common sense to ask just how much of that money is going to fund their church rather than to the people they are ostensibly trying to help. I ask the same question of any charity, religious or not.

Starchild
04-15-2015, 17:41
I don't have a problem with charity, I have a problem with calling something charity if there are strings attached. True charity is given freely without any obligation. If that's what this charity is doing, that's fine. However, I have volunteered many times for various charities run by religious organizations and seen how people who just need food and clothes for their children are subjected to proselytization in order to get it.

Religion is personal, people should keep it to themselves. If someone has the right to mention their religion, then I have the right to mention that it's irrational. If someone is advertising for their religious charity, it's only common sense to ask just how much of that money is going to fund their church rather than to the people they are ostensibly trying to help. I ask the same question of any charity, religious or not.

I don't believe the word charity came up. This is a Christian organization and part of that has been having people work in ministry for certain purposes. Those ministers need to be compensated for their work, just like any other profession. Now this could be from various sources, as God does not specify, but a minster is a worker of God and expected to be paid or his work - as God's promise.

To me it appears this person gets paid to make know this cause via hiking. The money spent on salary and hiking expenses I hope are offset by his message of helping the people of Appalachia through real returns.

In many ways I associate with him as I was paid also for ATC ridgerunning which involved disseminating LNT principals (which has become it's own religion to many). It;s all us helping us.

You state:

True charity is given freely without any obligation.

So if you wish to give true charity give true charity. This person only made you aware of the opportunity for you to give true charity, and I think it was pretty darn clear.

jarofkla
04-15-2015, 18:45
Actually, I do this voluntarily. I do not get paid to hike. All of the money raised goes directly to ASP. In fact, when I go to ASP this summer to help repair houses, I pay for the privilege to serve. So there are no worries about my expenses or any of that. I love hiking and just use my personal section hike time to give to a worthwhile ministry.

jarofkla
04-15-2015, 18:49
And I'm a computer programmer by trade. I am a layman in the church. This is just a passion of mine. Love hiking, love serving, love Christ. All I ask is your consideration of the effort we are promoting here.

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 19:09
Yup. Pretty simple stuff. I am sure that our imaginary friend is pleased. Those that you help are pretty happy too. Ignore the noise.

Starchild
04-15-2015, 19:12
Yup. Pretty simple stuff. I am sure that our imaginary friend is pleased. Those that you help are pretty happy too. Ignore the noise.

Yes say hi to your imaginary friend from me.

Lone Wolf
04-15-2015, 19:22
And I'm a computer programmer by trade. I am a layman in the church. This is just a passion of mine. Love hiking, love serving, love Christ. All I ask is your consideration of the effort we are promoting here.

well i just donated. thank you for what you do.

WingedMonkey
04-15-2015, 21:28
Asking for donations is asking for charity.

Anyone has the right to question anyone seeking charity on a forum or in public.

Anyone seeking donations in the name of charity should expect to be asked about 501(c)(3) status and anyone donating to a cause or organization should research non-profit status and where the money goes.

Seems the OP has no problem providing that info, maybe some of the self appointed arm chair preachers on here do.

I don't think the Hike for Homes website ought to be posting the ATC logo on their web site, even though it is only a link, the presence of the ATC logo to some implies support or approval for the organization from the ATC.

I would hope that WhiteBlaze had some set rules, or even better totally ban any persons or organizations from asking for donations.

It sometime seems moderators flip a coin as to rather a posting asking for money stays up or is closed. Christians and veteran organizations seem to be allowed while others seem to get tossed.

When someone from Warrior Hike came on here a few years ago asking for donations, I sent them a polite email asking about 501(c)(3) status and received a polite response that they were working under the non-profit Operation Military Embrace's IRS federal tax ID number.

I don't expect the administrators on here have the time to do that research on every one asking for money. Be a lot easier to just not allow it.

I have worked with dozens of of faith based organizations over the last 30-35 years (when faith based was a social statement and not a political one) both on a volunteer level and professional level, and none of them have preached to me as much as WhiteBlaze members that feel that "their god" has been slighted.

Lone Wolf
04-15-2015, 21:43
i bet you give to the ATC and have no idea where every dollar goes. i bet none of it to the actual trail

jarofkla
04-15-2015, 21:54
I don't think the Hike for Homes website ought to be posting the ATC logo on their web site, even though it is only a link, the presence of the ATC logo to some implies support or approval for the organization from the ATC.

You are right on this front. It was not my intention to make it look like the ATC endorses this cause. I originally put it there to point people to another good organization linked with the Trail. Thank you for helping me refine the site. I shouldn't have posted their logo without their consent.

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 21:55
No one would be debating this if the offended atheist had not felt compelled to ridicule the beliefs of a person that was not pushing his beliefs on anyone here. I have seen a bit of sarcastic bashing of faith, and reactions in kind, but have somehow missed the preaching.

WingedMonkey
04-15-2015, 23:03
i bet you give to the ATC and have no idea where every dollar goes. i bet none of it to the actual trail

Actually, I've been researching where the ATC spends the funds from the State License Tag programs.

I have some strong disagreement with some of the grants they are funding and as to rather or not they go to the trail.

One one hand I consider that I'm not a resident of any of those states that have the tag program on the other hand as an ATC member, I do have the right to question where the money goes.

Criticizing the ATC (am a member), the AMC (am not a member), or religion (am not a member) seems to ruffle feathers or lead to a TOS violation.

I need to take the time to start a thread on the ATC specialty license plates and where the grants go that is open to objective discussion, and promise to do so.

Mags
04-15-2015, 23:08
Thanks for everyone's input.

It is about summed up.