PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to traverse the Whites?

TonyDedo
04-15-2015, 13:42
I admit this is a painfully sophomoric question, but what is generatlly considered the best time of year to hike the Whites? I'm planning a backpacking trip and we have some flexibility in dates, and I'm trying to maximize our changes of getting good conditions. The group was learning towards mid August, but I was thinking it may be a bit cooler and less crowded in mid September after Labor Day.

Any thoughts on the subject?

tdoczi
04-15-2015, 14:35
its generally never too hot.

others will rightly point out that this is very hit or miss, but i've had miraculous times in both june and october. ive had lakes of the clouds practically to myself on a gorgeous 75 degree cloudless day

peakbagger
04-15-2015, 14:43
The week after Labor Day week, so this year it would be Sept 14th until around the 25th. There still will be college groups in the area but the usage does drop and the weather is usually consistent. The trade off is colder nights meaning a bit more gear. Realistically anytime after July 1st is good weather wise. The area is crowded basically July 1st to Labor day week.

If you run into last week of September or early October the weather sometimes gets wet and huts start to close down. Realistically you need to have a back up plan no matter when you plan on coming as there will be stretches of 3 or 4 days of wet weather which can be quite miserable. Worse case is bring some backup camping gear and set up at a campground and day hike.

burger
04-15-2015, 15:29
The week after Labor Day week
+1. I actually started a section hike on Labor Day and didn't have any trouble with crowds. And the weather was absolutely perfect (I saw the ocean from the top of Washington).

ChrisJackson
04-15-2015, 15:34
July was great for me. It was so beautiful I had a hard time watching where I was going. Stubbed my boots all up...the views were just flooding in...

colorado_rob
04-15-2015, 15:42
+1. I actually started a section hike on Labor Day and didn't have any trouble with crowds. And the weather was absolutely perfect (I saw the ocean from the top of Washington).Yet another vote: My wife and I traversed the White's last year, starting on Labor day (Monday), seemed like a perfect time. Still plenty warm, the crowds were starting to thin, but everything was open.

Traveler
04-15-2015, 15:45
I would side with early September. Most of the humidity of summer is gone and views tend to be sharper and more distant. Weather is not as iffy in the afternoon as it is in mid summer, crowds are a bit less during the week as well. Fall foliage will be starting, nights will be crisp, but not bone chilling. I really can't think of a better time to go.

BirdBrain
04-15-2015, 15:52
Others are covering the dates. My suggestion is regardless of the dates, get an early start in the day. Things can get interesting on exposed ridges in the heat of the day. Danger of lightning is much lower in the morning. That strategy saved me more than once. I always get early starts. No adjustment for me.

TonyDedo
04-15-2015, 16:31
Big thanks to peakbagger (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/1597-peakbagger) and the rest - you've confirmed my hypothesis that mid September is the way to go. Looks like I'll have an extra month to get into better shape! Planning a full traverse of the Whites, Glencliff to Gorham.

Thinspace
06-04-2015, 12:32
Mid September ahs always been my favorite. Cooler temps, low humidity (usually), less crowded, few insects, foliage well underway. Can't beat it!

codrock
01-28-2016, 01:12
I have hiked twice on Labor Day weekend, once on August 1st weekend, once on November 1st weekend and once in late April to ski Tuckermans...the Labor Day weather for me was excellent...clear, cool, cold at night but very clear for star sighting...August was wet and mostly cloud covered...November...was -20°F and ice and snow and 80+ mph winds...no peak traverse that trip...April was a blast but I went for the skiing...winter conditions only...I would recommend the Labor Day window or as someone here suggested the week after to bypass the crowds...would strongly advise gearing up for possible early winter storm though...gear for say 5°F and have a wind proof shelter and you should be fine...good luck...happy trails

fiddlehead
01-28-2016, 02:24
Early to mid Sept is the best time to hike just about anywhere in the northern hemisphere.
Including the Whites.

Nodust
01-28-2016, 10:38
Early to mid Sept is the best time to hike just about anywhere in the northern hemisphere.
Including the Whites.
I've been in the White Mountains two times in September and it is a great time to go. Not as crowded as July but the folks in NH like to hike year round so you are never alone, but that's fine the people are normally great.

nsherry61
01-28-2016, 11:34
Okay, I can't help being a contrarian . . . I recommend winter. Yeah, the weather can be iffy (okay, even deadly in some cases), BUT, the the trail tread is way, way easier to walk on. Just remember to bring your micro-spikes. Also, the views in winter are much better because you can see through the trees. If there is more than 2' of snow on the ground, you can camp pretty much anywhere you want. Need I go on. Winter in the White's rocks! . . . okay, really way fewer rocks to deal with is a more accurate statement.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2016, 11:55
Even after Labor Day, on a nice WEEKEND, there will still be LOTS of hikers out in the Whites. Because everybody else knows it's the best time to hike.:-? One October weekend in 2012 there were literally hundreds of people out hiking the Franconia Loop. Standing room only on top of Haystack at lunchtime - all the good rocks were taken.:(