PDA

View Full Version : -15*F (No Windchill Factor!)

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 08:23
This is the first Sunday in 4 months I believe that I have not gone hiking. Weatherchannel.com reports -14*F, my thermometer says -15*F. Windchill factor on my thermometer puts the relative temp at -22*F. I can't remember the last time it was this cold here in western Massachusetts. I suspect the top of Mt. Grace, where I planned on hiking today is even colder. My windstopper jacket and duofold "expedition weight" polypropylene long underwear don't stand a chance at this (even with a rainshell on top), so I'm staying put (damn it!). I need to hurry up and make a down jacket...

DebW
01-19-2003, 10:41
In eastern Mass. we had -2 on Saturday morning. About 3 years ago I had my family out for a 3 day weekend in northern NH where we backpacked in to a yurt. On the 3rd day we woke up to -15 outside and 20 mph gusty winds. Even with the wood stove going in the yurt, the temperature barely got up to 30 inside at head level, probably zero at foot level. We had to hike out 3 miles that day, and the daytime temperature remained at -15 with 20 mph winds. We hiked in polypro, wool pants, wind pants, wool shirt, fleece jacket, vest, and wind shell, balaclava, goggle, double wool mittens, mitten shells. We were fine while hiking, but had to keep checking for frostnip on exposed skin.

Moose2001
01-19-2003, 11:49
Yup had -18 degrees yesterday in Burlington, VT. Must of been about -20 here. Think that's cold? Saranac Lake, NY which is up in the Adirondacks reported -34 below zero yesterday morning. That's BEFORE the wind chill. Best thing to do is stay home and snuggle up to the wife.

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 12:03
I'm sitting home, burning incense, watching Jimi Hendrix Live at Woodstock, making a big bubbling pot of Meat Balls, and hoping it gets up into the positive temps next weekend so I can hike!

-34*F before winchill?! That's approaching arctic temps!

Jeese, Barrows Alaska, the northernmost point is only -2*F!

ganj
01-19-2003, 13:04
Same here, but not as severe conditions. I was planning an overnighter at Peter Mountain Shelter but the temps were going to drop down to the single digits last night. The only shoes I have to hike in are the raggedy Merrels that I finished my hike in. My sleeping bag is only rated 20 and I don't own any expedition weight clothing. Look at the bright side, at least it will probably be warmer in February.

Lone Wolf
01-19-2003, 13:14
Making snow at -10 to -15 is a lot of fun especially if a hose breaks and you get soaked. I worked at Jay Peak, Vermont as a smowmaker for 10 years. Cold was a way of life. Nothing like being on top of Jay at 3:00 a.m. and seeing the northern lights. The coldest temp. I saw was in 92 or 93. It was -39 at my house.

Team GAK
01-19-2003, 16:10
Just got home from snowshoing. It's not so bad - there's no wind and now it's snowing again. Just another winter day. Seven guys went off the trail at Jay Peak on Friday and they spent the night in the woods. The were rescued on Saturday.

RagingHampster
01-19-2003, 16:48
I can only hike in the morning. I have to go to bed now (usually I go to bed at 2pm on sundays). I work nights Sun-Fri.

It's 20*F now, with no wind. This morning it was -22*F with the wind!

Oh well, there's always next weekend...

I really need a down jacket :(

Streamweaver
01-19-2003, 16:52
Here in central Maryland it is the coldest its been in a long time,the night before last it was 9 degrees for a low! Not near as cold as up north but its cold fer MD!! I did get out for a dayhike yesterday and a little night hiking under the full moon,That was pretty cool! Streamweaver

MedicineMan
01-20-2003, 00:39
hit -3 two days ago
coldest ever was in 1982 -32
people often dont believe it gets that cold in TN but I'm at 4000 feet and you AT hikers know what elavation does to the mercury,
just glad we did Wyah to Wesser last weekend!

manzana
01-20-2003, 07:45
When I rolled into Cosby campground, it was 4 degrees this Saturday. I waited till it warmed up to 6 before I climbed up to Cosby Knob. It only got down to 5 , however at the shelter. We put a 20x10 foot tarp across the shelter, built a fire, and cooked hotdogs and chicken stuffing while the wind howled outside. It was fabulous.

manzana

Moose2001
01-21-2003, 20:28
Hey Lone Wolf.. thought you might be interested in this. Jay Peak completely shutdown today. It was -28 at the summit with 20+ MPH winds, gusts close to 30 MPH. They decided it was just to dangerous to allow skiers up. Brrrrrrr.....

Lone Wolf
01-21-2003, 20:35
Yup. Jay Peak can be one wild place. They get more snow than any other ski area.