PDA

View Full Version : Trashgiving!

Jack Tarlin
11-08-2005, 15:28
The leaves have mostly fallen, we've already seen some snow, and it's starting to get colder than a witch's mitt in the here in New Hampshire. Winter is well on its way.

However, some good news.

November also means that Trashgiving is upon us again. For those who don't know, Blister and I came up with this new holiday four years ago.....we realized that many of our friends lived far from home, or were perhaps estranged from their families. They didn't get to see their homes or loved ones for one of America's greatest holidays, and were saddened and depressed as a result. Also, some folks DID go home and spent time with families and loved ones.....and were saddened and depressed as a result!

So Blister and I came up with a new post-Thanksgiving Holiday tradition, for those who'd missed out on the "real" Thanksgiving for one reason or another, as well as those who HAD experienced the real holiday and were still in recovery from the ordeal.

We decided to have another Thanksgiving party, this one for hikers and their frinds. Originally, it was held across the Connecticut River. Happily, Blister has left the People's Republic of Vermont and now resides, as I do, here in Hanover, which is where the 4th Annual Hiker Trashgiving will be held, one weekend AFTER Thanksgiving.

Trashgiving is loosely planned.....some folks will be arriving Friday afternoon or evening (that's 2 December), we'll be having a vulgar and ostentatious Italian dinner around seven. Nobody has died yet from my lasagna, and I haven't made it for awhile, so this year's looks to be a good one.

Most folks will be arriving Saturday the 3rd. People are welcome to hang out all day long; if the weather co-operates, we may put a hike together, to Mt. Cube or Smarts if we're feeling ambitious. Others are welcome to loll about, keep us company while we're cooking, etc. Saturday's meal will be a Thanksgiving spread that would make Norman Rockwell feel like he's back home, except his Mom probably could't cook as well as Blister. Saturday night will be a time of contemplation and digesting, with perhaps some potent potables making the rounds. Sunday morning will see a breakfast of obscene proportions before everyone regrettably returns to civilization.

Anyway, that's Trashgiving '05, and anyone is welcome to drop by, for any or all of the weekend. This invitation is especially extended to anyone who hiked this year, and those who are heading out next year.

A few quick coments:

Our interior space is limited, so if you're planning to sleepover (and I hope everyone does), not everyone's gonna fit in the house, so bring your camping stuff, including some cold-weather gear. We have some beautiful creekside campsites, but it could get a bit nippy. Also, while we have very few rules or regulations at our place (and we like it that way!), we ask that you leave your dog at home unless you have permission; refrain if possible from discussing politics as it interferes with digestion; and lastly, as always, there will be no contra dancing or drum circles at this joyous occasion. In an effort to show kindness and diversity, well also welcome the odd Southbounder or two. (Just kidding, we don't care which way you go! But we're serious about the drums!)

Finally, if you think you might be attending, please try and let Blister or me know, so we have a rough idea of how many to cook for. Anyone that is planning to attend that has never been here can contact us privately for easy-to-follow directions. And lastly, we've been asked if folks can bring anything. We generally take care of most things ourselves, but here's an idea: Whatever your FAVORITE thing is for Thansgiving, bring some along for yourself, and some to share (By this I mean stuff like apple cider or especially dessert items; I don't want anyone showing up with a turkey or something; Blister's got that one down pretty good!)

Anyway, hope to see lots of you there, have a great November, and we'll see you guys in just under four weeks.

Blister
11-08-2005, 17:07
Thank you Jack for the great descrip of the festivities. And just to remind some folk out there this is an official Billville Event. Billvillians will be coming from as far as PA and I am personally going to award a special prize to the individual that comes from the farthest point. But do not get your hopes up, it will most likley be something quite silly. An appetite and sense of humor is mandatory.

:dance :dance :dance

Lion King
11-09-2005, 00:10
Thank you Jack for the great descrip of the festivities. And just to remind some folk out there this is an official Billville Event. Billvillians will be coming from as far as PA and I am personally going to award a special prize to the individual that comes from the farthest point. But do not get your hopes up, it will most likley be something quite silly. An appetite and sense of humor is mandatory.

um...Southwest Ga is a long way...maybe Ill win something to go with my...welll..errr....my Gathering Billville Prizes.

No promises, as I am in the middle of about three projects, but it would be nice to see everyone again, even you Jack.:banana :D

attroll
11-09-2005, 02:21
I marked it on my calendar. I will let you know when we get closer to the date. I hope to come. But it depends on if we have snow or not.

DMA, 2000
11-09-2005, 03:26
This is the kind of thing that prompts fleeting thoughts that maybe it would be nice to be back on the east coast.

But then, no. But it sounds like a great time.

chomp
11-09-2005, 10:26
I am in for Saturday for sure, and hopefully for Friday. I'll let you guys know soon. Mmm... Trashgiving. Thanks, guys, for hosting this awesome event once again.

DavidNH
11-09-2005, 10:53
Jack..this sounds awsome!

I will be in touch via email for directions etc.

DavidNH

Jester2000
11-15-2005, 21:35
Ahh, Trashgiving. Will be there, along with some baked goods from my mom. And while I'd like to believe otherwise, I know you'll all be happy to see me mainly 'cause I'll have baked goods from my mom.

See you all soon!

BooBoo
11-16-2005, 01:07
I won't be at this one but I will be at next years Trashgiving. See ya'll at Trail Days.

Moxie00
11-20-2005, 00:08
Ahh, Trashgiving. Will be there, along with some baked goods from my mom. And while I'd like to believe otherwise, I know you'll all be happy to see me mainly 'cause I'll have baked goods from my mom.

See you all soon!
MOM? And she not only admits she is your mon but even bakes for you? I think it's a trick to get you out of the house. I bet she moves and leaves no forewarding address while you are in Hanover.:jump

pooh
11-20-2005, 13:38
I hope you all have a wonderful hiker family thanksgiving! I will definitely be thinking of you.

Much love from the west coast!!!

Mountain Dew
11-20-2005, 15:49
Why oh why Lord can I not make it to this years Trashgiving !!!

I'm a big fat 0 for 4 in the Trashgiving department...

Blister
11-26-2005, 15:01
Well the planning is in full swing. The first food purchases have been made, more shopping to do, yet. Great to talk to Miss Janet late on the day of Thanksgiving. I am glad that the southern Billvillians had a wonderful turkey day. It will soon be our turn to experience the turkey coma in the north. To all for the remainder of this Holiday Season, may you be safe and healthy, but most of all happy.

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2005, 16:31
Blister's right, we spent the better part of yesterday afternoon shopping...we only stopped when we realized we were out of refrigerator space. Anyway, this seems like the right time to remind folks about our planned festivities (any questions, read the first post on this thread).

We hope to see lots of old and new friends this up-coming weekend; hopefully we'll see a thaw and lose some of the snow, especially for the select poor bastards who'll be tenting.

We hope to see lots of you there.....one thing, we are shopping again on Wednesday and it'd be real nice to know whether we're cooking for 20 or 40, so feel free to send an RSVP of some sort if you think you're gonna be joining us. Dinner Friday will be late (sevenish or later) as some folks will be on the road; Saturday's feed will be around six or so, but we expect folks to get there lots earlier.

In any case, hope to see some of you guys at the end of the week. If you need driving directions to Billville North, drop us a line.

Lion King
11-26-2005, 21:04
Holy hell.

I may actualy make this.

Im heading back to Glencliff on Tuesday morning from South Ga...ummmm, maybe talk Packrat into this as well.
I think he is driving up from CT on Thursday or something.

Cool.

Skeemer
11-26-2005, 22:26
...I might come if I'm welcome and not on the trail. I'll post again once I know.

Jack Tarlin
11-26-2005, 22:35
Geez, of course you're welcome!

I mean, if we take Lion King for Gawd's sake, how picky can we be, eh? :D

Lion King
11-26-2005, 23:52
Geez, of course you're welcome!

I mean, if we take Lion King for Gawd's sake, how picky can we be, eh? :D

True.

You, Blister and Jester will be happy.

I quit smoking over 2 months ago.

:D

DMA, 2000
11-27-2005, 01:19
When did you start back up?

WalkinHome
11-28-2005, 17:20
Hi guys,

Janice and I will give it a miss this year as we have many irons in the fire just now. Will see you next at the Billville Warmer. Can't wait, hi to Jack and Blister. Be well.

P.S. Am having e-mail issues but can be reached here on WB.

Jack Tarlin
11-28-2005, 18:44
Damn, Ray, I'm very sorry to hear this, but it's a looooong drive.

You will both be very much missed.......plus it means we'll now have to bribe someone to talk to Old Fhart and keep him occupied. Maybe Jester will do it if bribed sufficiently with Bushmill's.

In any case, see you soon, and to those of you who've RSVP'd us recently, thanx, it makes things a lot easier for us as we're staring to get an approximate idea of how much hiker trash will be in evidence this weekend.

The 100-Hour Trashgiving countdown has commenced; now if only we could get the weather to co-operate, it looks to be a great weekend.

chomp
11-28-2005, 23:54
I am in for Saturday for sure, and most likely out for Friday night. VSA is a maybe, depending on how things are going at school.

Looking forward to Trashgiving as always. Jack/Blister - let me know if you need me to bring anything. There is a good chance that I'll be spending the night on Saturday. See you all soon!!

Lion King
11-29-2005, 01:13
I am in for Saturday for sure, and most likely out for Friday night. VSA is a maybe, depending on how things are going at school.

Looking forward to Trashgiving as always. Jack/Blister - let me know if you need me to bring anything. There is a good chance that I'll be spending the night on Saturday. See you all soon!!

Holy Hikers!

Man, I gots to be there now!

Talked with Packrat today, if he isnt working a show in CT he will be there as well..Blister, He said he would call you on your cell.

I'll be bringing Home Made South Georgia Chocolate Chip Cookies Made Today in My Moms Kitchen! By my Mom!

general
11-29-2005, 11:49
Holy Hikers!

Man, I gots to be there now!

Talked with Packrat today, if he isnt working a show in CT he will be there as well..Blister, He said he would call you on your cell.

I'll be bringing Home Made South Georgia Chocolate Chip Cookies Made Today in My Moms Kitchen! By my Mom!

dude, stop by the house on your way if you've got a minute.

Lion King
11-30-2005, 16:55
dude, stop by the house on your way if you've got a minute.

Dude, Traffic sucked on the way in and I apologize. I was so frustrated last night by the time I got around past 985 I couldnt evne spit Straight!

I wanted to come by, sorry I didnt make it.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.theclassiccity.com/images/ga_th_-_jj_cale.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.theclassiccity.com/photo3.html&h=960&w=1280&sz=208&tbnid=jpFJGFgvfg4J:&tbnh=112&tbnw=150&hl=en&start=22&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgeorgia%2Btheatre%26start%3D20%26svnu m%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Check that out in Athens, wookie set up a Dec 6th Screening, but now I am gone...the story of my life.

A-Train
11-30-2005, 18:53
Sounds like a good time, sorry I cant make it, as Im still in the Andes. Hope to see some of you at a Ruck or the Winter Warmer this spring, or maybe just on he trail. Happy Trashgiving

Lion King
11-30-2005, 19:22
P.S.

The Homemade chocolate chip cookies are going fast!

Meet a Southbounder just south of Roan today and gave them a LARGE handful and some bottled water...

and of course I had some, but there will be a few left I promise@!:dance

attroll
12-01-2005, 04:23
Well it looks like I will not make it this year. I would really like to make it but the wife is working an it is a long drive to do by myself. I hope to make it one of these years.

Blister
12-01-2005, 14:51
Sorry to hear the folks that can't make it this year and on the same note absolutley estatic about the folks that will be here. The countdown is on and the baking starts tonight, cookies, brownies, biscuits and cornbread to start. I bought the big ass bird today that will be utterly desimated on saturday. To all those traveling in the next couple of days, be safe, weather is suppose to be crappy! I eagerly await your arrivals beginning tomorrow.

Jack Tarlin
12-01-2005, 18:03
She ain't kiddin.....I was cutting wood in the front yard when I saw her unload her car; the bird in question would probably fill up a 60-liter backpack, with maybe a little room for a green bean casserole.

Being on the top of the food chain is indeed a fine thing; hope to see lots of you guys this weekend!

Jester2000
12-01-2005, 22:16
Will be leaving tomorrow for the festivities, hoping to get in before dinner. If not, save a squirrel for me. . .

I'm planning an event for Saturday that will be known, for now, as "The Banana Run." Afterwards it will be known as "Not As Dirty As It Sounded, But Completely Embarrassing Nonetheless."

Save me a spot in the top parking lot. I don't think my truck would make it up from the bottom. You'd be stuck with me 'til the thaw.

Hoping to see lots of trash this weekend, although a Billville event without Ray seems like a bad idea to me. Like going asea without an anchor. Ahh, well.

Safe driving to all and see you there!

Jack Tarlin
12-01-2005, 23:31
Well, we're down to under 24 hours til the first grizzled wretch arrives in Hamover, so I just wanted to extend one final invitation to one and all to our hiker Trashgiving fest.

I will be checking my E-Mail briefly tomorrow, so if anyone decides to attend at the last minute and needs directions, send along a note and we'll get back to you.

Otherwise, dinner Friday will be around 7:00; Saturday's extravanganza will be closer to six.

Also, be aware that we may see some snow this weekend.....if this happens, and if you DON'T have good snow tires or 4-wheel drive, do not attempt our driveway or you may be staying with us longer than you'd planned. (We're trying to arrange alternate parking at a neighbor's house for those of you like Jester whose vehicles are too foofy for the driveway).

Hope to see some old and familiar faces, along with some new ones. Be careful on the road, and make sure and bring some bad jokes and a good appetite.

Lone Wolf
12-02-2005, 10:12
Hi everyone! This is Gypsy posing as Wolf. I just wanted to say hello and I hope you all have a great Trashgiving! Here's a big shout out to Blister and Jester. Wolf finished off the rest of the Motherland brew Jester! Love you all! See ya somewhere!
Gypsy:)

Skeemer
12-02-2005, 10:24
I was so looking forward to getting to know some of my "WhiteBlaze Buddies," but must opt out this time.

I was up last night at a friend's house drinking and celebrating the 1,000th excution since 1976. Unfortunately, I am in no shape to drive ten miles, let alone five hundred, in this weather...mabie next year.

Coming in second was Julia's statement as she was left for work this morning, "If you want to stay married to me, you'll be waiting and "ready" for me when I get home this evening."

Soo, try and have a good time without me...I'll be thinking of you when I'm not trying to get one on.

RedneckRye
12-02-2005, 10:45
I'll be thinking of all of y'all as I'm working all weekend. Hopefully Hanover is as much fun, and the mountain of food is as huge as Janet's place was for Thanksgiving!!!
REDNECK

Lone Wolf
12-02-2005, 10:51
The amount of food at Janet's was rediculous!:eek: How about that dessert table? What a feed. Hope we get invited back next year. Wish I was in Hanover this weekend. It's been a while since I been in yankee land. I'll tip one for y'all at Dot's.

justusryans
12-02-2005, 20:03
[quote=Skeemer]Coming in second was Julia's statement as she was left for work this morning, "If you want to stay married to me, you'll be waiting and "ready" for me when I get home this evening." quote]

As good a reason as I've ever heard!!:bse

Moxie00
12-02-2005, 23:29
It must be in full swing as I write, miss you guys, love you, have a wonderful weekend.

Lion King
12-03-2005, 14:50
Trying to get there...car trouble in CT...may not be there until after dark, it if its snowing hard as I have heard it may be, I might just head on to Glencliff...stupid car.

LK

the goat
12-05-2005, 11:39
hope ya'll had a blast & are recovering from any residual hangovers, wish i couldda made it. already looking forward to next year!

Jack Tarlin
12-05-2005, 16:18
Quick note....the weekend was a great success; Friday was a bit subdued as lots of folks were on at work or on the road, tho Jester made a surprise early appearance. He evidently seems to like Hanover as he's still here! We're gonna see the Johnny Cash movie tonight, I actually found him a date for the evening.

Saturday was quite festive, with a great mix of folks including some Whiteblazers.....believe it or not, Blue Jay is delightful in person, which leads one to think that what comes across on the Internet in regards to one's personality, politics, thought processes, etc., frequently has NOTHING to do with what the person is actually like when you get to talk to them face to face. I think that while there are extraordinary benefits to interactive Internet sites, we often forget that conversations there are always going to be different from ones we'd have if the person we were speaking with (or wildly disagreeing with!) were actually there in person.

In any case, Blister and I had a blast this weekend, and our only regret is that so mnay fine folks couldn't make it, due to distance, other commitments, car trouble, whatever. We hope to see them down the line on another occasion.

Oh, our other regret is that we're going to be eating turkey, green beans, and sweet potatoes til Groundhog Day as we seem to have over-cooked somewhat. And I may not be able to deal with lasagna again til sometime next spring. It actually tastes better a day or two later, but my enthusiasm may be dampened somewhat if I'm still eating it next week.

Biggest hit of the weekend was Jester's mom's apple cake; next year, Blister and I are trying to find a way to keep Jester in Philadelphia and send along his mom instead. (She also sent along some tasty beverages, including a fine product from Claremont, Kentucky that she seemed to think I was partial to).

Only real drawback was that Blister and Chomp decamped to the Patriots game early yesterday, leaving the house looking like Berlin after the bombardment, but things are sort of back to normal after two days of cleaning.

We may not be entertaining for awhile now, but when we do we'll let you know.

Jester2000
12-05-2005, 16:33
Thanks to Blister and Jack for doing all of the work this weekend. For those who did not get to attend, I sat on my butt this weekend and did nothing but eat, drink, and smoke. I was almost the worst houseguest ever. And I'm still here, so that's part of that equation as well.

Good to meet a couple more whiteblazers in person -- thanks for attending!

Hopefully we'll get to see more folks at the Warmer.

Jester

P.S. -- The Banana Run was a huge success.

Blue Jay
12-05-2005, 21:24
Saturday was quite festive, with a great mix of folks including some Whiteblazers.....believe it or not, Blue Jay is delightful in person, which leads one to think that what comes across on the Internet in regards to one's personality, politics, thought processes, etc., frequently has NOTHING to do with what the person is actually like when you get to talk to them face to face.

This outrageous slander is not true. I was just being nice due to having a beautiful woman cook massive amounts of excellent food for me. Blister certainly lives up to her reputation as the ultimate Trail Goddess. My only regrets were getting up at dawn to a snow storm and having to leave prior to the Banana Run. Also now I won't be able to attack Jack for years, damn.

Blister
12-06-2005, 13:44
This outrageous slander is not true. I was just being nice due to having a beautiful woman cook massive amounts of excellent food for me. Blister certainly lives up to her reputation as the ultimate Trail Goddess. My only regrets were getting up at dawn to a snow storm and having to leave prior to the Banana Run. Also now I won't be able to attack Jack for years, damn.

Thank you for the awesome compliment!!!!!!
I was also sad to have missed the banana run, looking forward to the pictures though. And yes Jester still is at the house sleeping in MY bed. That's ok, it was great to see everybody and I do apologize for taking off early with chomp to brave the temperatures and snow to attend a GREAT Patriots game. Thanks Chomp :clap it was great, better than sex actually!!!
The house is back to normal and now that it is over, time to start planning the CDT!!!! Homebrew hooked me up with the 7 hour video, although a little outdated has great info, I only know 1/2 of the people interviewed. Again thanks to all that attended, I'll be seeing Lion King in the next week or so to slap him up side the head :jump I guess I'll head back home to eat some more leftovers!!!!

RedneckRye
12-06-2005, 14:28
Judging by the voice mail Jester and Blister left me late saturday / early sunday, everyone was having a really, really good time. Most of the message was fairly non-intelligible, but I think Jester was giving out his Mom's number and something about the hiker special.

Jester2000
12-06-2005, 17:36
We called Redneck?

Jester2000
12-06-2005, 18:14
. . . Jester was giving out his Mom's number and something about the hiker special.

Wait, you talking smack about my mom?!? No more baked goods for you, my friend.

pooh
12-07-2005, 01:21
Judging by the voice mail Jester and Blister left me late saturday / early sunday, everyone was having a really, really good time. Most of the message was fairly non-intelligible, but I think Jester was giving out his Mom's number and something about the hiker special.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing listening to their message! It's definitely a keeper :D

love to you all!!!!!!

chomp
12-07-2005, 10:20
Trashgiving was, as usual, a great time. Meeting new people, eating great food, and enjoying a warm fire on a cool night. What else could you ask for. I am sorry that I had to leave so early on Sunday AM and miss out on breakfast and the Banana Run... but the Patriots were playing. I am always ready to step up to the challange of squeezing in too much stuff into one weekend.

Also - I have it on good authority that the "worst houseguest ever" has left the building. Unofficially, I understand that it has something to do with being shunned by THREE, count em, THREE beautiful women in one night.

Jester2000
12-14-2005, 20:20
Damn. Damn. Damn.