PDA

View Full Version : Darn Tough Socks.......So many to choose from

susiegear
04-16-2015, 11:13
Hello all. I have read a lot about socks and have made the decision to go with the Darn Tough brand. I am planning on using the injinji toe sock liners as well. i normally wear thick wool socks year round and am curious what you all think as far as which pair to get of the Darn Tough socks. How thick are the Injinji liners? With wearing liners should I get a thinner pair of outer socks? I am looking at the Boot Sock Full Cushion or the Boot Sock Cushion socks. I am planning on picking up two pairs and do not want to spend 40 plus dollars and not be happy with them. From what i understand they can be returned if they are not what I am looking for but would like to avoid the hassle. I am planning a trip to the Superior Hiking Trail in northern Minnesota in June as a sort of a rundown trip for the AT next year and would like to try these socks out for that trip. I appreciate any tips you might have.

HooKooDooKu
04-16-2015, 11:21
I always wore thick wool socks with a liner. I use thin liners as I don't want them to add to the "heat" of summer.

I went to tarn tough last year and selected 'Hiking Boot Sock Full Cushion' and have been happy with them. The only other "thicker" choice is the Mountaineering sock but that's too much sock for summer use.

2000miler
04-16-2015, 11:21
I've had good success hiking with these on top of the Trial 2.0 Mid Weight Injinji liners: http://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Merino-Cushion-Medium/dp/B000XG1BC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429023485&sr=8-1&keywords=Darn+Tough+Micro+Crew+Cushion+Sock

Size up, they run a bit small, especially if you have liners on underneath. I have a size 11 foot and go with the Large.

Walkintom
04-16-2015, 11:23
The difference between cushion and full cushion with DT is that cushion has extra material under your foot whereas full cushion has extra material all the way around your foot.

I've worn both and liked them both. From a dollar value standpoint - I wear out the bottom of a sock before any other part so I get my best bang for my buck from the cushion socks. They cost about $1-$2 less than full cushion in the same sock. From a comfort standpoint - I actually enjoy the full cushion more than the cushion. Considering that DT will replace any socks that I wear out, I usually buy full cushion.

I'd also suggest a pair of their coolmax socks for sleeping in. I love my wool socks but having a pair of synthetics along when you run into 4 or 5 days of wet weather in a row is nice. There have been times that my 'sleeping socks' have been pressed into service for hiking while I worked on drying out my wool socks.

Havana
04-16-2015, 11:25
Injinji's are very thin. So they go comfortably under any heavier sock. Currently I'm using these Darn Toughs: http://www.rei.com/product/887221/darn-tough-hiker-boot-socks-mens

If you buy them from REI, they accept returns at any time within the first year for any reason.

BirdBrain
04-16-2015, 11:36
These are the ones I use.

http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-trek/coolmax-boot-sock-full-cushion

The selection is counterintuitive. One would think that heavier socks would create issues with drying, bunching, and over heating. I use New Balance 610's a half size too big, with green Superfeet, and the above socks. I use body glide liquefied powder (skin glide) on my feet every morning. I can hike with my feet soaking wet or in very hot weather with this setup and have zero issues. I never get blisters or hot spots. I lose toenails though. That is another matter. Others will have other setups. It is hard to predict what will work for you.

Odd Man Out
04-16-2015, 15:24
I use these. They have the AT logo on them so they must be the right ones.

http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-trek/atc-sock-micro-crew-cushionIn reality, I haven't tried any others so I don't know for sure. But these work fine for me.

BirdBrain
04-16-2015, 15:29
I use these. They have the AT logo on them so they must be the right ones.

http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-trek/atc-sock-micro-crew-cushion In reality, I haven't tried any others so I don't know for sure. But these work fine for me.

Fixed the link for you. Those look sweet. Might have to get some.

greenmtnboy
04-16-2015, 16:47
I like LL Bean for the guarantee. I bought one pair of Darned Tough, they were about the same as the other competitors. I have found that their guarantees are essential at the $$ that they charge.

swisscross
04-16-2015, 17:09
I like the 1/4 light hiker.

Wanderingventurer
04-16-2015, 18:38
+1 for the 1/4 light hiker.

Hangfire
04-16-2015, 20:05
Yes on the toe socks, those things rule! The trick is to find the smart wool variant "mini's" which i don't think they make any more...the things some how some way never stink.
I saw a lot of darn tough users on the trail and all seemed very satisfied. Regardless of the type of hiking sock you choose, if you take care of them (don't walk around in the dirt with them) and also if you wear gators or long pants your socks will last way way way longer.

Odd Man Out
04-16-2015, 23:47
I've gotten my DT socks from Socks Addict. They are often nicely discounted (but they don't seem to be right now).

http://www.socksaddict.com/Categories/345-Hike-Trek-Series.aspx

Let's see if this link works.

nickoli
04-17-2015, 00:55
All's I'm sayin' is, for three years now I haven't owned a single pair of socks other than Darn Tough. I started with 1 pair of 1/4 crew mesh, and 1 pair of 1/4 crew hiker cushion. Wore those for almost a year as my only two pairs of socks, sent them back for replacements and bought two more while they were in the mail. It took 9 business days for me to get 2 brand new pairs of socks.

I then acquired 2 pairs of OTC cushion ski socks and wore them exclusively for an entire season. 2nd time I used the warranty claim I fit 5 pairs of socks into a flat rate envelope for ~10 bucks. 11 business days later I had 5 new pairs of socks, plus the 2 pairs of full cushion boot socks I ordered in the meantime. 3 years later and I now have 8 pairs of Darn Toughs, and they are the only socks I wear.

I sent 5 of my "damaged" pairs back last week and squeezed them in a small flat rate box for $5 bucks...can't beat that. This round of warranty claims included a pair that went through the lawnmower. No questions asked they say!

TLDR: Darn Tough socks are amazing. Send them back whenever you want. Get new ones.

Edit: I forgot to mention that they are the most comfortable socks I've ever worn, but that unconditional lifetime warranty is probably just tricking my brain. I love warranties.

egilbe
04-17-2015, 07:47
All's I'm sayin' is, for three years now I haven't owned a single pair of socks other than Darn Tough. I started with 1 pair of 1/4 crew mesh, and 1 pair of 1/4 crew hiker cushion. Wore those for almost a year as my only two pairs of socks, sent them back for replacements and bought two more while they were in the mail. It took 9 business days for me to get 2 brand new pairs of socks.

I then acquired 2 pairs of OTC cushion ski socks and wore them exclusively for an entire season. 2nd time I used the warranty claim I fit 5 pairs of socks into a flat rate envelope for ~10 bucks. 11 business days later I had 5 new pairs of socks, plus the 2 pairs of full cushion boot socks I ordered in the meantime. 3 years later and I now have 8 pairs of Darn Toughs, and they are the only socks I wear.

I sent 5 of my "damaged" pairs back last week and squeezed them in a small flat rate box for $5 bucks...can't beat that. This round of warranty claims included a pair that went through the lawnmower. No questions asked they say!

TLDR: Darn Tough socks are amazing. Send them back whenever you want. Get new ones.

Edit: I forgot to mention that they are the most comfortable socks I've ever worn, but that unconditional lifetime warranty is probably just tricking my brain. I love warranties.

I don't know how they are going to stay in business very long with the warranty claims just from you :p

susiegear
04-17-2015, 08:50
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I think I am going to pick up 1 pair of the Boot Sock Full Cushion and 1 pair of the Boot Sock Cushion socks. That way I can try them each out for 5 days on the 10 days we are planning on being on the SHT in June. These will be used with the Injinji Liners. I appreciate your advice.

nickoli
04-17-2015, 14:21
I don't know how they are going to stay in business very long with the warranty claims just from you http://whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif

haha actually, i asked them how many socks get returned. apparently only .01% of their total sock sales ever make it back, most people lose them or are lazy i suppose. also, it's not really worth it unless you combine shipping and send 3-5 pairs back at once.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I think I am going to pick up 1 pair of the Boot Sock Full Cushion and 1 pair of the Boot Sock Cushion socks. That way I can try them each out for 5 days on the 10 days we are planning on being on the SHT in June. These will be used with the Injinji Liners. I appreciate your advice.

the boot socks are very padded. you'll love them. As far as length goes, I just wore them for a pow day snowboard sesh and they just barely reach above my snowboard boot. definitely not OTC. You'll get plenty of miles before the first hole appears.