PDA

View Full Version : Grommets for Tyvek ground sheet

snow93
04-16-2015, 12:20
I am making a groundsheet from Tyvek kite material. I was wondering what mind of grommets I can use. Looking for something lightweight. Thanks.

Walkintom
04-16-2015, 12:55
Pretty much the only thing I know of is the standard grommets you buy for general use. They're not heavy.

RED-DOG
04-16-2015, 14:39
you can use whatever kind of grommet you want you can find them at outdoors stores ( the ones most hikers use ) or lowes whatever kind they all will work, but do like me and go with out them, i lay the tyvek down and use the weight of the tent to hold it down.

jimmyjam
04-16-2015, 14:54
questoutfitters sells plastic grommets, no special tools required. I have used them on a tyvek ground sheet with elastic tie-outs and it worked great.

swjohnsey
04-16-2015, 15:05
I wouldn't use a grommet. Use a marble or something else that is spherical with a loop over it. You will be able to move it if necessary.

Slo-go'en
04-16-2015, 15:57
I have brass grommet kit I bought years and years ago.

If you do grommet, fold over the edge of the Tyvek to make a double layer so the grommet is less likely to tear out. Having grommets pre-installed does make it a lot quicker and easier to pitch it in a hurry to get out of the rain. I've done that more then a few times so I could sit and eat lunch on a rainy day.

Franco
04-16-2015, 18:37
There isn't much tension on a groundsheet so you don't need anything special there.
If by any chance you have some PVA (Elmer's glue) , you could smear a thin layer over the corners and let it dry just to re-enforce that area.
(PVA is a good glue for Tyvek)

Slo-go'en
04-16-2015, 22:13
There isn't much tension on a groundsheet so you don't need anything special there.

True, but if you have a large enough ground sheet (4x6), adding grommets would make it easier to dual purpose it as a tarp.

Walkintom
04-16-2015, 22:38
Also, I've seen Tyvek tape. That would do a good job of reinforcing grommet areas.

squeezebox
04-17-2015, 05:20
I just folded up the corners, used a tie with a bowline on the end to hook into the end of the pole, worked well enough and nothing to worry about tearing out.

Shutterbug
04-17-2015, 11:11
I am making a groundsheet from Tyvek kite material. I was wondering what mind of grommets I can use. Looking for something lightweight. Thanks.

You can buy a grommet kit at WalMart for $4.98. It has the brass grommets and the tool needed to attach it. You will find it in the Sporting Goods area next to the tarps. If you don't like WalMart, the same kind of kit is available at Home Depot or Ace Hardware for $9.95.

WalMart also has plastic grommets, but in my opinion, the plastic ones are too thick. Because they are thicker than the brass ones, there is no weight savings.

To hold the tyvek ground sheet down, I use an 8 penny aluminum nail with an aluminum flat washer -- lighter than a tent peg.

perdidochas
04-17-2015, 13:00

Grommets make for a weak point. I would suggest getting some tyvek tape and making loops.

Rolex
04-17-2015, 15:28
Grommets make for a weak point. I would suggest getting some tyvek tape and making loops.

I found some made by Cohglans that were made of blue plastic. I use the ones from Home Depot or Lowes made of brass also a lot.

I would recommend triangular patches at each spot sewn in with a wide zig zag stitch for strength. The guys (me too) that make cheap home made boats and tyvek/blue tarp sails use this trick on their sails.