PDA

View Full Version : How many Eastern Box Turtles did you see?

rickb
11-08-2005, 15:30
This thread asks how many Eastern Box turtles you have spotted on the AT.

jackiebolen
11-08-2005, 22:13
At the end of a 25 mile day, the skies opened up and started pouring. I was exhausted, tired, hungry and cold. Then I saw a box turtle. It made my day happy again and reminded me of why I go hiking!

max patch
11-09-2005, 00:04
Whats an eastern box turtle? Isn't a turtle a turtle?

Seriously, one thing I wish I had done differently on my hike was to invest some time beforehand reading guidebooks about the trees, flowers, wildlife, etc. Had too many "thats pretty, what is it?" moments out there.

Smee
11-09-2005, 00:55
Peter Pan and I came across these two between Petite's Gap and Rte 60 over the Columbus Day weekend.

Tha Wookie
11-09-2005, 10:55
I saw a lot of sliders and cooters too.

rickb
11-09-2005, 11:08
Who gives a rat's ass about sliders and cooters! Hardly worth a mention in the same thread as a box turtle.

Is it worth stopping the car in the middle of busy 4-lane highway to rescue a slider? Of course. That's true of any turtle. Even a snapper (assuming that you have a shovel in your truck dedicated to such a purpose).

But a box turtle is in a class by itself. They make PA worth hiking.

rickb
11-09-2005, 11:17
Great shot, Smee! I'm glad I clicked on the thumbnail.

You don't have a video for sale by any chance, do you?

Uncle Silly
11-09-2005, 16:00
down along the swampwalk before Vernon, NJ, i happened to look down from the boardwalk into an algae-covered pool of water. i almost walked on when i realized one of the bumps on the algae-covered log had gotten up and slipped into the water. wow, i thought, that was a turtle! then i realized the bump next to the bump that moved was looking at me. and so was the bump next to it, and the bump next to it, and... six turtles on one log! i looked again at the pond and counted at least eleven turtles hanging out. i saw lots of other turtles, along the canal towpath in MD, around ponds in VA, several other places. they look pretty funny covered in that green algae slime!

peter_pan
11-09-2005, 22:50
Great shot, Smee! I'm glad I clicked on the thumbnail.

You don't have a video for sale by any chance, do you?

The video was in slow motion....we condensed 62 frames over 10 minutes and you are looking at them....;)

Pan

Tha Wookie
11-10-2005, 09:05
Who gives a rat's ass about sliders and cooters! Hardly worth a mention in the same thread as a box turtle.

Is it worth stopping the car in the middle of busy 4-lane highway to rescue a slider? Of course. That's true of any turtle. Even a snapper (assuming that you have a shovel in your truck dedicated to such a purpose).

But a box turtle is in a class by itself. They make PA worth hiking.

What? turtle discrimination? haha!!!!!:jump

DebW
11-10-2005, 10:48
I saw a box turtle laying eggs in the middle of a trail in the Blue Hills of Massachusetts. Wonder why it picked the middle of the trail? It had made a hole and I watched several eggs drop into the hole. When I came back that way an hour later the nest had been covered and was no longer obvious.

Nean
11-10-2005, 10:51
Ahh, young turtles in love, ...but did it last?
Serious Question: Is it bad to rescue a turtle crossing the hwy. and then release it elsewhere?

rickb
11-10-2005, 10:55
From what I understand it can last 10 hours or more-- if you are a box turtle.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Nean
11-10-2005, 11:00
I'm more of a cardboard box.

terrakin
01-10-2006, 18:26
i've seen wood turtles (clemmys insculpta) along the nj/ny border which was really special , seeing as they are a highly threatened specie

Smooth
01-10-2006, 23:15
Now, Now, Now.....There is to be NO porographic pictures posted on this web site!!!!!
Really good shot Smee!!!!!
I love turtles, being a fellow backpacker, and I have dozens of Box Turtle shots.......But none that cool!