PDA

View Full Version : Clingman's Dome to Damascus hike

seadawg
04-17-2015, 11:58
Planning a hike from Clingman's Dome to Damascus during the month of June. If anyone is interested in joining me for all of it or a portion....please let me know. Seadawg

Amy109
04-30-2015, 10:08
Just saw this post. When are you heading out in June? I am planning a Springer to Damascus hike starting in May so I should be up around that area in June.

seadawg
04-30-2015, 13:12
Haven't really decided yet. Sometime in early June. When in May are you starting from Springerr? I see you are from Nashville. I used to live in Murfreesboro and work in Nashville back in the late 80's.

Amy109
04-30-2015, 13:43
I am leaving Springer on May 3rd. I am not sure you would recognize Nashville and Murfreesboro now!

seadawg
04-30-2015, 14:38
Sorry to say I've had to change my plans for the hike, in lieu of an opportunity to go to Long Boat Key , Florida and sit on the beach. Perhaps we can run into each other on the trail some other time. I haven't been to Nashville or Murfreesboro in quite some time now.....I'm sure both have changed greatly. I hope you have a great hike. I do the Georgia portion every March to meet the thru hikers and share some of my knowledge of the trail in Georgia.....since I've hiked the GA portion about 15 times. I do other sections throughout the year....usually in June or July.

Amy109
05-01-2015, 16:39
Sitting on the beach sounds pretty good too! Thanks, I am looking forward to getting on the trail! Any advice for the GA section?

seadawg
05-03-2015, 03:38
Overall advice for any section....lighten your pack every chance you get. ....and like unto it...slow down. "Shelter-hop" in Georgia. Shelter areas are located about 7 -9 miles apart which is enough for us older folks ...at least until you get your trail legs. Be careful of the descent coming down Blood Mtn...especially in the rain. Most importantly....don't concentrate on making miles....but rather enjoy the journey. Enjoy being out in God's pristine wilderness with all of its wonderful sights and sounds and smells. Once you get into NC.....two toughest climbs on entire A.T. are coming out of N.O.C going up Cheowah...and the climb from Fontana up to Shuckstack. Be sure to allow plenty of time to make those....slow and easy. Keep me posted from time to time as to where you are. My Florida trip isn't until June 25, so whereas I won't be able to hike all the way to Damascus, I might be able to get on at Newfound Gap and go as far as Hot Springs NC. Don't forget to get a permit for the GSMNP.

Have a wonderful hike....and once again...."enjoy the journey".
Anchors aweigh,......Seadawg

moytoy
05-03-2015, 06:04
seadawg- It's hot down here in late June but I guess you already new that :) Enjoy yourself where ever you are!

daddytwosticks
05-03-2015, 09:36
Hoping to do the north end of the Smokies in mid-late June. Maybe I'll see you out there. :)

seadawg
05-04-2015, 05:33
Moytoy....yeah been going to Longboat Key (between Bradenton and Sarasota on west coast of Fla.) off and on during the summer ever since I was 10 years old.....and that's a long, long, time. Almost daily pm thunder showers break up the heat.

seadawg
05-04-2015, 05:35
Daddytwosticks: will probably miss you since I'll do it the first of June....if at all.