PDA

View Full Version : Side attractions along the AT?

mattjv89
04-19-2015, 09:24
So I'm interested in recommendations people have for side trails to notable destinations along the AT. I hike at a good pace and spend very little time in town relative to many thrus, haven't felt anywhere near needing a zero in 240something miles. So, I'd love to spend some of that extra time seeing out of the way sights along the trail. AWOL's guide doesn't seem to list much beyond 1/2 mile off trail, I've hit all those but I'm sure there's more out there. I'm interested in anything that would basically amount to a nearo on the trail, so still time to cover at least a few AT miles. Still trying to do the whole AT route so I don't want to bypass anything but i suppose almost any side trail can be doubled back on. I'm in between standing bear and hot springs right now so anything south of that is a bit too late for this hike. Thanks!

map man
04-19-2015, 10:16
I can't tell if you are in the midst of a thru-hike or section hike. The Gulf Hagas Trail in Maine fits your criteria if you are planning to get up there. There's also lots of non-AT miles to explore in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, again if going that far north is in your plans.

johnnybgood
04-19-2015, 10:50
If you have the time and don't mind a 7 mile roundtrip diversion then check this out ; www.hikingupward.com/SNP/CampHoover/ (http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/CampHoover/)

Weekend tours of the main quarters are given free of charge during the summer . Reservations are recommended by calling the park. None needed if just strolling the grounds which might be all you have time to see on your hike.

Don H
04-19-2015, 15:17
Gettysburg in nice. Maybe take a zero and check out the sights.

BirdBrain
04-19-2015, 17:00
Every vista within reach. Every 4000' hill within 2 miles. Every pond to swim in within .5 miles. The Bonds and Gulf Hagas are 2 great examples. I have zero interest in man made things while I am on the trail. Those things are best visited while riding in another man made item.