PDA

View Full Version : electrolyte replacement

misterfloyd
04-19-2015, 12:14
Hello to all.

First, if this is the incorrect forum for this inquiry please accept my apologies.

I'm getting together a mental list of food for a 300+ section in Virginia, beginning in the middle of June. I know it will be hot.

I have used electrolyte replacements before in the form of Gatorade powder. It works but it is heavy. In looking at amazon I found many other alternatives. I know people have used Nunn. Has anyone used Hammer nutrition pills? Are there others that I'm not considering? Could you share what you have used in the past and now?

I sweat like a horse, and I consider this not a frivolity, but a need considering the area, temps, elevation, and knowing how my body works when I don't use it. Summer is the only time I consider this. All other seasons-not. I'm looking for something that works, weight consideration.

I have tried the MIO active, propel, and also the Walmart brand last year. The stuff you squeeze into your water. I did not work well for me and was a waste.

Any thoughts pertaining to this is greatly appreciated, and also very welcome.

Thank you.

Floyd

Walkintom
04-19-2015, 12:28
Nuun works pretty well for me. I make it a habit to have it warm before bed if I failed to get it during the day and it helps me feel a lot better the next morning vs. not having it. Only note I would add to that is that if you are very sensitive to sorbitol you may not want to use it. I'm fine with it, but I have heard of people getting loose bowels from a combination of sensitivity to sorbitol and consuming it all day long.

If you get cramps, you may consider buying salt tabs as well.

colorado_rob
04-19-2015, 12:31
My wife and I in fact use those Hammer nutrition tablets on shorter duration ultra-hikes (1-2 days, 50 miles or so) in hotter weather. they seem to work great. I think I came down with a mild hypernatremia one time before I carried those tabs, found religion and now use them, no problems since.

I've also tried Nuun's, and hate them, they taste terrible. The nice thing about a tablet is you don't have to taste the contents.

That said, generally on long distance hiking we stick with Gatorade or something equivalent. Sure, it's heavy, but the extra weight (vs. tablets) is just sugar/energy calories, so no actual wasted weight. I also like to flavor the water sometimes, and Gatorade fits that bill. Just our Modus Operandi.

ny breakfast
04-19-2015, 12:36
i just read somewhere recently that nido has more electrolytes, then gatoraid could go with a no cook meal for breakfast and get more electrolytes in you early in the day

MuddyWaters
04-19-2015, 13:43
Its heavy because its sugar =calories. Dont worry about the weight.

Donde
04-19-2015, 13:44
Can't speak on the Hammer stuff, but GU makes drink tabs, and electrolyte capsules that are effective. Though these should be a supplement to your diet which should be the primary way to take care of this.

Noseeum
04-19-2015, 14:00
Endurolyte Fizz tabs from Hammer are great. The lemon-lime is fairly tasty. Dissolve one in a liter of water, twice a day. I tend to make one in the morning, then a second one that I drink with and after dinner. Gives you quality electrolytes, without the huge amounts of extra sugar in most of the -ade drinks. Sold in ziplocks of 25, each tablet individually wrapped, weight is ~3.2 ounces.

squeezebox
04-19-2015, 15:25
I.m thinking of using Lite Salt, It's about 1/2 potassium cloride. Might a good source of potassium.

egilbe
04-19-2015, 15:58
i just read somewhere recently that nido has more electrolytes, then gatoraid could go with a no cook meal for breakfast and get more electrolytes in you early in the day

Sectionhiker, maybe? I read that, too. Drink milk instead of Gatorade. Its better for you.

saltysack
04-19-2015, 16:25
Those who use Gatorade...I assume most buy the bigger packs of powder. The individual seem pricy and create more trash...what do yall use for a funnel to get powder from ziplock to say a "Smartwater"bottle with the std small size cap. Seems like I spill about as much as I get in the bottle....I realize it would be easier if I used the Gatorade bottles with the bigger lid but I prefer the smaller lid as the sawyer squeeze screws on....in the event my dirty water bag breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hangfire
04-19-2015, 16:42
I used both the nuun and gatorade, but it really just came down to what I could get my hands on. I couldn't say if one was better than the other, I thought the gatorade tasted better and was much easier to find. If I was lucky I could find someone to split a tube of gatoraide packets with so I wouldn't have to worry about the extra weight. One thing I will warn you on is if you decide to drop it right into your camel bladder it can cause problems for your sawyer mini if you have it attached to your drinking tube.

Walkintom
04-19-2015, 16:47
One thing I will warn you on is if you decide to drop it right into your camel bladder it can cause problems for your sawyer mini if you have it attached to your drinking tube.

Heh, I bet that was an educational moment. We all have them from time to time.

BirdBrain
04-19-2015, 16:50
NUUN. Most dense (lightest) and easiest (no measuring) option.

Malto
04-19-2015, 17:34
Halfway down the page you will see a super simple recipe to make your own. I have added it to my drink mix, sprinkled it on food and filled hundreds of capsules over the years.

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=40391b18dd6e5dc2357da11726dc0c 39&entry_id=19697

swjohnsey
04-19-2015, 17:48
Just eat ramen.

Starchild
04-19-2015, 18:32
Expensive: Pedilyte powder (stay away from bubble gum flavor)

Cheap: Salt or lite salt

saltysack
04-19-2015, 18:59
Daaaaaam Malto......lucky DEA didn't raid your crib! Ha....

peakbagger
04-19-2015, 19:24
Mortons lite salt is the magic ingredient you need, then all you do is need to add something to make it palatable.

misterfloyd
04-19-2015, 19:28
Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies!

seems like most use hammer, or nunn. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who used Gatorade... stuff works. I read the same article in section hiker. Problem being, I can't drink milk!

I'm, not really looking for something to flavor the water, I have no problem with good H20, I just want to replace all that I know I will be loosing sweating my .......off.

My biggest problem is food, and usually pack too much, just trying to get what I need, and be realistic with weight.

Thank you all for your help. Appreciate the time you took to respond.

All the best,
Floyd

Odd Man Out
04-19-2015, 22:23
NUUN. Most dense (lightest) and easiest (no measuring) option.

I have not used this so I was reading about it on their web page to learn more. Indeed it seems to be mostly just a tablet of electrolytes. They have a few different formulations, some with caffeine and/or vitamins. You don't have to carry the extra sugar, but I wonder how important that may be. I know in Oral Rehydration Therapy mixes used for treating dehydration due to cholora, the glucose is an important ingredient. I'm not sure if the same applies to the situation the hikers face. I was mildly annoyed by Nuun's ad copy. They say it has no sugar, but they list dextrose (sugar) as a minor ingredient in one mix. They also say there is no artificial flavor, but they list acesulfame (artificial sweetener) in another mix.

BirdBrain
04-19-2015, 23:30
I have not used this so I was reading about it on their web page to learn more. Indeed it seems to be mostly just a tablet of electrolytes. They have a few different formulations, some with caffeine and/or vitamins. You don't have to carry the extra sugar, but I wonder how important that may be. I know in Oral Rehydration Therapy mixes used for treating dehydration due to cholora, the glucose is an important ingredient. I'm not sure if the same applies to the situation the hikers face. I was mildly annoyed by Nuun's ad copy. They say it has no sugar, but they list dextrose (sugar) as a minor ingredient in one mix. They also say there is no artificial flavor, but they list acesulfame (artificial sweetener) in another mix.

I have to chuckle. Companies are constantly shrouding realities of their products. Sugar free is a common deception. Low fat is another. Not surprised that NUUN is guilty too. I did zero research prior to deciding to use NUUN. I have a friend that has been running marathons for over 30 years. I told him about my electrolyte concerns and that I was a gram weenie. He told me NUUN was the best choice for me. I trusted him.

colorado_rob
04-20-2015, 08:39
Those who use Gatorade...I assume most buy the bigger packs of powder. The individual seem pricy and create more trash...what do yall use for a funnel to get powder from ziplock to say a "Smartwater"bottle with the std small size cap. Seems like I spill about as much as I get in the bottle....I realize it would be easier if I used the Gatorade bottles with the bigger lid but I prefer the smaller lid as the sawyer squeeze screws on....in the event my dirty water bag breaks.
I buy the bulk cans of G-ade and put it in small snack-sized ziplocks, which easily pours into small bottle openings (if you do it slowly). By the way, I just read my Nido can-side nutrition info, and the amount of electrolytes are very small in a serving. Not a great option, but at least it has some. I have a cup of Nido milk every morning. Great stuff (good protein and fat).

And SWJ has a good point about the Ramen... I always carry plenty of salty snacks (chips, nut mixes, pretzels) on the trail which take care of most of the sodium needs, but doesn't do much for the other electrolytes, alas.

Nuun really is a good option, if you happen to like the taste, but really, the tablets have the same ingredients if you don't.

misterfloyd
04-20-2015, 17:23
Thank you again guys for your help. I always have on hand salty snacks!!

ralph23
04-20-2015, 19:00
Marathon and long distance runners sweat profusely and, due to the insanely high levels of exertion, cannot take in solid foods as they will wreck your stomach. Hence the creation of all types of electrolyte supplements in liquid form.

Hikers also sweat profusely but must maintain a lower level of exertion for several reasons (i.e. fast recovery so they can hike the next day being the primary one). Thus most hikers will have no problem ingesting solid food on a daily/hourly basis. And given that most hiker food is overloaded with salts and sugars (i.e. Ramen, jerky, dehydrated meals, etc), they have little to no need to supplement further.

So, if you are ingesting solid food all day long you have no need to further supplement salts and sugars. And there are really no other electrolytes that you need be worried about. If it is a flavor thing then by all means please bring something along with you.
If you are doing a 1-2 all out power hike that involves little time for eating (or the ability to eat solids) consider liquid supplementation. For the other 99% of you, eat well and drink water.

ralph23
04-20-2015, 19:04
Marathon and long distance runners sweat profusely and, due to the insanely high levels of exertion, cannot take in solid foods as they will wreck your stomach. Hence the creation of all types of electrolyte supplements in liquid form.

Hikers also sweat profusely but must maintain a lower level of exertion for several reasons (i.e. fast recovery so they can hike the next day being the primary one). Thus most hikers will have no problem ingesting solid food on a daily/hourly basis. And given that most hiker food is overloaded with salts and sugars (i.e. Ramen, jerky, dehydrated meals, etc), they have little to no need to supplement further.

So, if you are ingesting solid food all day long you have no need to further supplement salts and sugars. And there are really no other electrolytes that you need be worried about. If it is a flavor thing then by all means please bring something along with you.
If you are doing a 1-2 day all out power hike that involves little time for eating (or the ability to eat solids) consider liquid supplementation. For the other 99% of you, eat well and drink water.

BirdBrain
04-20-2015, 20:17
I find that if I do not put NUUN in my water in the morning, then my legs cramp by noon. Of course hiking in Maine and New Hampshire might have something to do with that. However, ralph23, you are making me think. I do not get much salt in my morning foods. I might have to reevaluate things. Your points are not lost on me.

peakbagger
04-20-2015, 21:31
I used to use gatoraid powder mixed pr the recommended mix and then slowly went to about double the water. I switched to Nunn due to some recommendations from long distance cyclists. Its a lot easier to carry and seems to get into my system quicker.

saltysack
08-11-2015, 11:35
I used to use gatoraid powder mixed pr the recommended mix and then slowly went to about double the water. I switched to Nunn due to some recommendations from long distance cyclists. Its a lot easier to carry and seems to get into my system quicker.

I've also used Gatorade but maybe should look at nuun for jmt hike. How many tablets per day? Use Gatorade bottle? What flavor tastes best?

peakbagger
08-11-2015, 12:47
If its hot out on long hikes , I drink a tabs worth in the morning and one at lunch and one at the end of the hike. The flavors are a crap shot. I can tolerate all of them. The grape has the smell of fake grape I grew up with. On a normal day hike I usually do one at lunch and one when I get home.

Heliotrope
08-11-2015, 20:47
Hello to all.

First, if this is the incorrect forum for this inquiry please accept my apologies.

I'm getting together a mental list of food for a 300+ section in Virginia, beginning in the middle of June. I know it will be hot.

I have used electrolyte replacements before in the form of Gatorade powder. It works but it is heavy. In looking at amazon I found many other alternatives. I know people have used Nunn. Has anyone used Hammer nutrition pills? Are there others that I'm not considering? Could you share what you have used in the past and now?

I sweat like a horse, and I consider this not a frivolity, but a need considering the area, temps, elevation, and knowing how my body works when I don't use it. Summer is the only time I consider this. All other seasons-not. I'm looking for something that works, weight consideration.

I have tried the MIO active, propel, and also the Walmart brand last year. The stuff you squeeze into your water. I did not work well for me and was a waste.

Any thoughts pertaining to this is greatly appreciated, and also very welcome.

Thank you.

Floyd

I recommend Endura. By Metagenics. It is very high in usable magnesium.

Venchka
08-11-2015, 23:25
I.m thinking of using Lite Salt, It's about 1/2 potassium cloride. Might a good source of potassium.

Bingo! Part of a DIY electrolyte replacement recipe. Baking soda and honey too. GOOGLE will find lots of recipes.
Advice I found from a sports nutritionist about a hundred years ago: Dilute Gatorade (wet or dry) at least 1:1 with water. 2 or 3 to 1 also works.
Personally, I don't touch any-ades. I've lasted this long. No reason to change.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Malto
08-12-2015, 06:44
Bingo! Part of a DIY electrolyte replacement recipe. Baking soda and honey too. GOOGLE will find lots of recipes.
Advice I found from a sports nutritionist about a hundred years ago: Dilute Gatorade (wet or dry) at least 1:1 with water. 2 or 3 to 1 also works.
Personally, I don't touch any-ades. I've lasted this long. No reason to change.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

you can find a super simple electrolyte recipe in paragraph 3. Use it on food, mix it with drinks, put it in capsules. Cheap and has been highly effective for me. Electrolyte Recipe (http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=835ee49e4c36405ae1ebd3f8d8a652 10&entry_id=19697)

Venchka
08-12-2015, 10:32
Thank you Malto! Bookmarked.
Reading paragraph #3 in your link explains the cause of the same symptoms that I experienced for about 24 hours after my first trip on the Berg Lake Trail many moons ago. I'll know better next time.

Wayne