PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker Needing Route Tips

FoxBoots
04-19-2015, 12:56
Hello Everyone!
This is my very first post. My husband and I are new to hiking and camping and I am sure this forum will be invaluable to us and our adventure planning! We are looking to start off with a 4-5 day hike beginning in GA and looping back around. We are anticipating doing 5-6 miles per day being that we are new to this, however, we are fairly athletic and we are looking for a true "climbing" experience with some stellar camping spots and sights. Does anyone know of a route that would fit our time frame, experience, and scenic preferences? :)

Abatis1948
04-19-2015, 17:50
Lots of places to hike in Georgia. Park your car at AFSP hike the approach trail to Springer and Hike to Hog Pen Gap or Unicoi Gap. Must warn you that during this time of the year there are few views, but the ones you have or great. You would also have to arrange for a shuttle back to your car. You may want to check out http://www.atlantatrails.com .

ChrisJackson
04-19-2015, 18:23
The Coosa Backcountry Trail from Vogel State Park is a great loop to train on. For a 4 to 5 day trip, you may want to consider the "Georgia Loop". This is a loop formed by the AT, Duncan Ridge Trail, and the Benton MacKaye Trail. Welcome to the forum.

edit: Just realized you specified doing about 6 miles per day. The Georgia loop is ~58 miles. So that wouldn't be a fit for you at this time. I can't think of a good ~30 mile loop right now. You might consider parking at Neels Gap, hiking up to Blood, using the Duncan Ridge to get to the Coosa, head back to the AT after the Coosa, then using the AT going south for an out-n-back finishing up back at Neels Gap. The out-n-back part on the AT would be a good way to come up with the distance you're looking for...allowing you to increase or decrease mileage depending on how you feel.

Abatis1948
04-19-2015, 19:29
[QUOTE=ChrisJackson;1964895]The Coosa Backcountry Trail from Vogel State Park is a great loop to train on. For a 4 to 5 day trip, you may want to consider the "Georgia Loop". This is a loop formed by the AT, Duncan Ridge Trail, and the Benton MacKaye Trail. Welcome to the forum.
+1 on this loop.

misterfloyd
04-19-2015, 19:43
Standing indian loop. Many cool views, not too difficult 20ish miles.

One of favorite places on my limited experience on the AT.

Right over the GA line.

BTW, welcome to the forum as well!!

Floyd

Siestita
04-20-2015, 01:27
I agree that the Standing Indian loop could serve your purpose well.

Trailweaver
04-20-2015, 01:55
Cloudland Canyon (in north GA) has a fairly easy 5-6 mile loop with a nice view. It has a nice waterfall trail too. Cloudland also has cabins for rent if you choose to spend the night and don't want to camp. I started out there, and it was what I consider "a good little training" kind of trail.