PDA

View Full Version : Wood stoves?

rwilson9879
04-19-2015, 15:10
I have a solo wood stove im thinking of taking. I know alot of folks use the alcohol stoves, but i like to be different. It obviously takes a bit long to boil but any opinions? Small pieces of wood can easily be gathered throughout the day so im not seeing any down fall? Any thought?

Walkintom
04-19-2015, 15:12
When it rains on you for 5 days straight, the light bulb will go off.

Carry some alternate fuel. Hexamine cubes or fire gel.

4eyedbuzzard
04-19-2015, 15:36
I used a Sierra Zip Zstove for a while many years back. One big drawback is that you can't use it in or near a shelter or tent where the smoke and small sparks that are emitted can be a problem. This can be a big problem in the rain. In my case, even in good weather, the smoke also drew the attention of rangers in NJ and NY, and in one case I was told it was not legal to use. I wasn't going to argue the point, but the ranger said to finish cooking my meal and not to use it again in NJ. Just be prepared that in places where fires aren't allowed, that interpretations by rangers as to what is a "fire", or "open fire", or "stove", may vary regardless of the fine points of the law. And arguing about it generally gets you nowhere. I'd add that they will smell up all your gear, and the soot on your pot(s) can become problematic even when stored in a plastic bag.

Slo-go'en
04-19-2015, 16:12
There are times and places where the wood stove isn't practical or legal as is the case in NJ/NY or out west. Therefore, it's not a good choice for a thru hike stove, especially during the spring rainy season. That said, I might bring a simple tin can wood stove on my up coming section hike for incidental cooking and mostly eat no cook meals.

Anywhere camp fires are allowed, there are plenty of small sticks laying around from people busting up fire wood. A lot of it ends up under the shelter roof so it's dry.

rwilson9879
04-19-2015, 16:52
I did check into it and the fire ban does not include wood stoves. But you are right about no uses in shelters. Im not worried about use in a tent since ill be using 8x10 HMG flat tarp. I have been using it camping and on float trips. It just seems to be great. Just havnt walked 2000 miles with it.lol there are no sparks or embers that i have ever seen. Also like ive seen some say, the ashes work great for making soap. Love the feedback and would like to hear from as many as possible. Thanks to all

Fredt4
04-19-2015, 20:04
I have an older version which I liked. Didn't consider it for my AT thru hike since it's too bulky.

QiWiz
04-20-2015, 16:54
I have a solo wood stove im thinking of taking. I know alot of folks use the alcohol stoves, but i like to be different. It obviously takes a bit long to boil but any opinions? Small pieces of wood can easily be gathered throughout the day so im not seeing any down fall? Any thought?

I'm a big fan of wood stoves, but even I will bring some Esbit cubes as backup fuel for times when the weather has been too nasty for too long, or I just don't feel like getting a fire going in the stove. It will help you develop better fire skills, always a good thing to have. There are places it can't be used: above tree line, and in many fire ban areas out west. Have had zero problems myself with any prohibitions in Eastern woodlands. I have had folks take a FireFly on an AT thru. SectionHiker (http://sectionhiker.com/appalachian-trail-section-hiking-gear-list/) is doing a 3-week section of the AT right now with his.

Walkintom
04-20-2015, 17:15
I did check into it and the fire ban does not include wood stoves. But you are right about no uses in shelters. Im not worried about use in a tent since ill be using 8x10 HMG flat tarp. I have been using it camping and on float trips. It just seems to be great. Just havnt walked 2000 miles with it.lol there are no sparks or embers that i have ever seen. Also like ive seen some say, the ashes work great for making soap. Love the feedback and would like to hear from as many as possible. Thanks to all

I take note when someone tells me that rangers have taken exception to a piece of equipment such as when 4eyedbuzzard mentioned that the ranger in NJ told him not to use his stove again in NJ.

Whether there's a specific ban on it or not, I really don't want to wind up arguing the point in court. Right or wrong, it's just not how I'd like to spend my time. It's worth thinking about...

Just Tom
04-20-2015, 17:19
I actually printed, and take with me, an email from the trails chair here in CT in which he confirmed I could use my Firebox Nano stove, just in case a ridge runner were to give me grief.

4eyedbuzzard
04-20-2015, 19:15
I take note when someone tells me that rangers have taken exception to a piece of equipment such as when 4eyedbuzzard mentioned that the ranger in NJ told him not to use his stove again in NJ.

Whether there's a specific ban on it or not, I really don't want to wind up arguing the point in court. Right or wrong, it's just not how I'd like to spend my time. It's worth thinking about...

I actually printed, and take with me, an email from the trails chair here in CT in which he confirmed I could use my Firebox Nano stove, just in case a ridge runner were to give me grief.Well, I get that ridge runners patrol the AT in CT. But the fire regulations are made by CT State Forest Fire Warden, not the trails chair. That technicality aside, in periods of high fire danger, you could be at the mercy of whatever law enforcement authority present decides is allowable or not. If a guy with a badge says no wood fires including your stove, you really don't have an option.

My incident in NJ was many years ago at an AT shelter in Worthington St Forest to be exact. And the ranger was polite (probably because I was polite as well). But in any area where campfires are banned, if a ranger or warden sees or smells smoke, they are going to think fire first - not stove. And they likely aren't going to be in the best of moods having taken the time and effort to walk out to take a look.

NJ currently has three stages of restrictions - stages 2 and 3 quoted here http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/fire/firedanger-restrictions.html
Stage # 2
All fires in wooded areas will be prohibited unless in an elevated prepared fireplace, elevated charcoal grill or stove using electricity or a liquid or gas fuel. An elevated prepared fireplace must be constructed of steel, stone, brick or concrete with its fire box elevated at least one foot above the ground surface and surrounded by at least a ten feet radius clearance to mineral soil.
Stage # 3
All fires in wooded areas will be prohibited unless contained in an elevated stove using only propane, natural gas, gas, or electricity. No charcoal fires are allowed.

The following quote is from the Sierra Stove FAQ's
Is the stove allowed by the U.S. Forest Service and National Parks?
Both of these organizations consider the Sierra Stove a contained fire and it is allowed anywhere other backpacking stoves are allowed. However, due to local fire conditions some forest rangers may override this decision and not allow any type of "wood burning" stove. [My note: BS! USFS and NPS specifically ban wood stoves and consider them the same as open fires in many parks and forests.]

Federal, State and Local rangers, fire wardens, etc., have broad (make that almost absolute) latitude in setting fire restrictions when they think it's necessary. What's okay today can change tomorrow, especially during any summer droughts. And that would include not permitting certain types of stoves. The ranger on the scene will make that decision, regardless of what a hiker thinks the definitions of "contained stove" or the wording of any restriction means.

Just fair warning. Have some sort of backup cooking plan.

Honuben
04-20-2015, 21:59
I would not limit yourself to stricktly a wood burning stove. If you plan on staying at or near shelters, have a pot and either a alcy or gas stove. Every shelter i stayed at, i made a fire or one was already lit and i simply placed my pot with water next to the fire to boil. Because of my cooking style, i carried a small alcy stove and around 4-8 oz of fuel for those times i was not feeling social. There was one hiker who did the same with a cannister stove who hiked the entire AT using only 2 canisters. But if weight savings is your driving factor, do what you gotta do.

fastfoxengineering
04-21-2015, 14:26
I'm a wood stove convert for now. I'm also kinda the old school survivalist type hiker. However.. my wood stove is a caldera cone ti-tri..and I carry either some alcohol or an esbit backup. Sometimes building a fire for a cup of coffee is just a pain in the ass. And on a thru-hike.. that time could be spent hiking.

I plan on using my wood stove on the AT and don't anticipate any problems the alcohol stove can't fix. If I get fed up building fires.. I'll just start carrying more alcohol!

garlic08
04-21-2015, 21:55
My wife tried one on her thru and it lasted less than half way. Steel rivets failed. And by then she'd pretty much started using Esbit in it anyway. So she returned the stove under warranty and switched to alcohol.